Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

Social houses are THE BEST!! They bring the best of Fraternities/Sororities without the exclusiveness/danger. There are tons of organizations to get invovled with, and it's easy to start your own. Since we have such a good relationship with the town of Brunswick, it's also really easy to get involved in the community. Because it's so small, the dating scene is a little bit weird, because you're always dating someone who dated someone else who you knew, but you get used to it. There are tons of lectures/concerts/sports/other events to go to on a consistent basis. Most dorms have friendly atmospheres. Mostly on the weekends it's drinking, although there is never any peer pressure to drink. There is a fairly large chem free contingent that does stuff.

Athletics are probably the most popular form of extracurriculars at Bowdoin. Many students play intramural or club level sports, or if nothing else will watch the varsity teams. Guest speakers are also very popular; every Friday from 12:30-1:30 is Common Hour when we have a guest speaker and everyone can go after they have lunch. Greek life isn't as prevalent as it is on other campuses. Bowdoin abolished fraternities in 1997 and replaced them with "college houses." I am an RA in one of the college houses, and while it has been rowdy and challenging (we've been on probation twice), it has been a rewarding experience. Although students drink on the weekends, it's easy not to drink, but still have a good time.

Drinking dominates social life. Partying is the dominant weekend activity. I do not drink. I do not party. This makes life at Bowdoin very dull for myself and other non-drinkers. I am actively involved in Bowdoin's outdoor club, the Bowdoin Outing Club. The Outing Club is a joke, but it is the only way to get away from campus on the weekends. The "hiking" trips are barely picnics, the students are uniformly lazy, and the pace is geriatric. The only reason I still go is that the alternative (another boring day on campus) is even worse. But, everybody seems very happy to be here. I can't figure that one out.

There are so many popular groups on campus. I'm involved with the Quaker group on campus, which is composed of a great group of kids who extend themselves to many other groups on campus. Most students leave their doors open and leave their belonging around with no serious concern of theft. Everyone attends athletic events, guest speakers and theater performances. It's a small community so, most likely you know someone who you can support that does some sort of activity. I met some of my closest friends randomly and I also made a lot of friends on my floor and on my team.

I met my closets friends freshman year, with a few exceptions. I am still building close friendships with people I met this year. I've met a lot of people through the outting club, which is very popular. Our men's hockey team and our field hockey team are both very popular and competitive. During the week most people are studying until they go to bed, but on Fridays/weekends, students go to parties at the social houses and other places such as the pub. There are also a lot of trips on weekends, either planned by the outting club or by small groups of students.

Athletics are very important at Bowdoin, and many students play on sports teams. Hockey games, especially Bowdoin vs. Colby are widely attended by the campus. Bowdoin students are also very friendly. Many students will leave the doors in their dorms open (this changes a little once students move into upper-classmen dorms) On the weekends, drinking is a big activity, and while there is are the options of "chem-free" dorms and an affiliated social house, there are not as many options for students who do not wish to drink on the weekends.

hockey? frisbee, really fun yes sports events are pretty popular, theater and guest speakers have a smaller more specific crowd no pressure to date, mostly personal preference roomates, random parties, classes, through other friends either working or hanging out with my close friends ivies, havent experienced it but heard its amazing it ranges, some drink every night and others never do, no judgement one way or another no frats, social houses are sweet though, but not important partied, watched hockey game --- restaurants

A lot of people at Bowdoin play sports even if it is club but you won't feel left out if you don't. By the same token there are many people involved in community service projects of various kinds and a pretty strong theatre program. People at Bowdoin like to drink but there are things to do if you don't drink. A lot of social life focuses around the social house system especially for underclassmen. The dating scene is a little weird: there is definitely a lot of hooking up that goes on but also some serious relationships.

There seems to be a lot offered in terms of social life, but the reality is, most weekends are the same. Either big campus-wide parties or parties at Brunswick apartments, etc., or private mid-night dance parties in your own room. It's pretty much the same scene at any other college it seems. The real benefit is how close we are to the ocean and other beautiful places in Maine - there is so much to do here. Bikerides, walks and midnight trekks to the water have been my favorite memories here so far.

Sports teams are the most popular groups on campus. They tend to attract a lost of interest. I am involved in the women's varsity rugby team. It is a walk-on team. We have an A side and a B side. Anyone can play on the B side; A side is a little more exclusive. The team encourages a lot of camraderie. What dating scene? It is more of a hookup scene. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am either doing organic chemistry or hanging out with friends. There is no Greek life.