Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

A large percentage of student play sports but most students do not watch sports. Are last pep rally was lackluster at best. Typical weekends at Bowdoin include going to social houses (Bowdoin's version of frat/sor. houses) for different social activities and dancing at the pub. Several groups also perform throughout the weekends. Students have a lot of homework during the weekends, however, Bowdoin the majority of students have the "work hard-play hard" mentality.

The most important group on campus are the sports groups, affiliate houses, and choral groups. The dating scene is limited because you are at a college and not a university. People at Bowdoin always leave there door open especially if you stay on the campus, but at apartments they tend to lock their doors. One thing to look for is IVIES weekend where there are parties pretty much all the time and its kind of a big drinking event (if you are into things like that).

Everyone is involved in something. You're not a Bowdoin student if you're not. Lots of students do sports, but there are plenty of other activities to be involved in. Tuesday nights the 21 year old students go to the local bar, but other than that weeknights are pretty tame. Thursday is definitely a weekend night - people definitely go out. Social house parties dominate the underclassmen scene. Other than that, most events are small and in people's rooms.

Popular groups: varsity athletics: almost everyone does a sport. The magic question at Bowdoin: so what do you do? Involved in the sailing team, a big commitment but a great group of people. Most sports teams are close knit. Hockey games are big, thats the about it. Little dating scene, not prevalent. Closest friends met through athletics/ party scene/dorm. No frats. Last weekend: skiing and drinking with friends. Then studying all day sunday. Off campus: ski.

Outing club is popular. I row with the crew team- it's a very friendly group of people. Some guest speakers are very popular- Eve Ensler and Christopher Hitchens each filled an auditorium. I met my friends through dorms, classes and crew. If I'm awake that late I'm doing homework. There are no frats or sororities. Last weekend I rowed and played my cello and repaired my bike. On Saturday nights there are chem-free parties and concerts and movies.

As a freshman, everyone's really friendly and outgoing, but that quickly changes as social groups get set. No one dates here, only hooks up (often drunkenly), or has long, important relationships. We don't have fraternities. You can go to lectures, etc., but if you don't have a really big group of friends who don't drink and you're single, it's hard to find things to do on the weekend. Sometimes you can go to Portland if you know someone with a car.

Most people play some kind of sport and everyone's on the College Dems' mailing list. Social Houses make up the social scene for freshmen and desperate sophomores. The dating scene does not exist. The hook-up scene is prevalent. A lot of people get really close with their freshman floor. Super snacks is the alcohol free weekend alternate. There are occasionally some mediocre plays and performances and the various a cappella groups are quite good.

Athletics dominate the activity/social scene. I played sports freshman year, but quit because it was too large of a time commitment, and wasn't worth the supposed social benefits that came with it. Plenty of drinking (beer and hard stuff) on the weekends. If you don't drink, there's not a whole lot else to do on the weekends. I mean, it is Brunswick, not NYC-you can't just decide you'll go see a show on broadway or listen to some live jazz.

Outing Club is big. Lots of skiers, hikers, etc. About half the student body plays a sport. Being on the soccer team has been a great athletic and social experience. No frats, thankfully. Partying primarily on fridays and saturdays. Ivies is the best party week/weekend of the year. Last weekend of April. Not unusual to go Wednesday through Sunday. Some good guest speakers. Christopher Hitchens most recently.

alot of drinking thurs-saturday so if you're not into that sometimes it's hard to find stuff to do. depending on what dorm you live in, doors are open. no one dates here, they hook up. Hockey and basketball games are somewhat popular. If i'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am relaxing after a longggg night of homework or finishing homework. There aren't any frat/sororities but the social houses are an interesting replacement.