Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

Sports teams play a huge role in campus social life. Also, social houses throw parties throughout the year. Bowdoin has a big drinking scene. While there are students that choose not to drink, alcohol has a strong presence on campus. Freshman year, people tend to make close friends with the people in their dorms. There are also concerts, art shows, lectures and film screenings that students can attend throughout the week.

There are more options if you have a car because you can spend more time off campus but there are always things to do. Most students spend their time on campus. The social life here is fairly inclusive compared to many other colleges. No fraternities or sororities here. There's A LOT of drinking, which can be fun, but there are also plenty of other activities if you prefer to spend your time in a different manner.

Sports teams are the most popular groups on campus. I play on the softball team and absolutely love it. The team is awesome and we all love to play. Who cares if we don't get to play outside until March? Students in dorms leave their doors open ALL THE TIME. I met my closest friends my freshman year. We were all floormates. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either reading, studying, or watching T.V.

The basic Bowdoin understanding is that sunday through wednesday = work, and thurs through saturday = party. There are no fraternities or sororities on campus, but there are social houses which are essentially the same thing. If partying isnt your scene, there are always performances in the VAC, guest speakers, and supersnacks (a late night opening of the cafeteria for midnight snacking).

the social scene is on campus. revolves largely around social houses (co-ed houses that sophomores and juniors live in). if the campus scene (lots of partying) is not for you, finding a concert or movie in town is alway enjoyable. dorms are very communal and friendly places (for the most part). proctors in first year dorms provide a great service and doors are usually open!

sports teams, singing groups. Amnesty international. yes. depends on the sport. guest speakers can be good. i dont know about the theater. The dating scene isn't very big but sometimes people will go on dates. They're on my floor. Working or hanging out. Work or hanging out. Ivies. Every weekend. nonexistent. work and partied. super snacks. cafes and shopping.

The beauty about a small school like Bowdoin is that there is room to get involved in many things. Many of my friends participate in theater and sports, study math and art. There are organizations for everything and if there isn't an organization for something you're interested in a friendly student board will help you make it happen.

There are tons of things going on at Bowdoin on the weekends and during the week in terms of parties, academic events, speakers, theater, etc. If you look for something to do and can't find anything, then chances are you're not looking in the right place. Bowdoin has so much to offer, but sometimes you have to search to find it.

The athletics are a huge part of the social scene, whether it is people attending games, or athletes throwing parties. If you are involved in a sport you will always have a social outlet to go to. Ivies is the traditional huge party weekend, but as a member of the Track team, i will never get to experience the festivities.

Lots of activities and opportunities for students to get involved on campus. Many people are involved with the Outing Club, which takes students on outdoor trips such as sea kayaking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing, whitewater rafting, etc. Students leave their doors open all the time because everyone feels so safe.