Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Some people think of Bowdoin students as very preppy, privileged, and athletic. Before coming here, I had heard that J-Crew attire and either pearls or a Red Sox cap were the typical Bowdoin look. As for the school in general, people comment on how small Bowdoin is, and assume that everyone knows everyone else.

Stereotyped as being either preppy or granola-y. No matter what kind of labels students are written under, Bowdoin kids are some of the smartest, driven and well-rounded people you will ever meet. Bowdoin girls are suppose to be "ugly" and guys are the athletic good looking type.

I once saw Bowdoin described in a college review magazine as a college where every student wears L.L.Bean sweaters and collared shirts. I have also heard that all the students who are accepted to Bowdoin have really high SAT scores.

Bowdoin definitely has a stereotype of being full of well-to-do, athletic, preppy New Englanders. I've also heard generalizations of Bowdoin being a very secluded and chilly place where people drink a lot of beer.

I think people assume that Bowdoin students are overly stressed out, preppy or pretentious, and mainly from New England.

Extension of a New England prep school, Athletic, lots of "jocks." Very "preppy," but also very smart kids.

Bowdoin students are preppy, smart, wealthy. Bowdoin lacks diversity and is in the middle of nowhere.

No one dresses up, we only wear North Faces. Everyone is secretly a nerd, but is not socially awkward.

that we come in two flavors (hippie and preppy) and that we are either pretentious or relatively cool.

Smart, hardworking, friendly, down to earth, outdoorsy, preppy, crazy for going to school in maine.