Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

The best thing about Bowdoin is the food. I love the dining hall! I would change the way classes are chosen in phase 1 and phase 2. I believe that we should be sending in our choices through the internet. Bowdoin is too small. I already feel like I know too many people. People in New Jersey have never heard of Bowdoin. I spend most of my time on campus in my room with my friends. We hang out. Brunswick is the best college town. The shops are so cute and so easy to walk to. The only problem is that they close so early! The most recent controversy on campus was the decision to terminate Pass/Fail classes.

Bowdoin is a community, first and foremost. School is tough, but people are genuinely welcoming for the most part. Its a small school so trying to avoid someone is not possible but that's okay because there aren't a lot of people you will want to avoid. Brunswick is not exactly a hopping town but it has a few cute restaurants and stores. Bowdoin's staff is amazing, as are most of the professors. Bowdoin is different from other schools just because of the feeling you get on campus. People are really enthusiastic and happy to be here. And its beautiful: the facilities are amazing. Oh and the food is the best.

Bowdoin's size is often a topic of discussion. Most of the time, the small student body is one of the best things about Bowdoin, it's always easy to find someone you know, classes are small, and professors are very accessible. Brunswick, Maine, is not the best of college towns, cafes close on Sundays, and most stores close early. Downtown Brunswick, aside from these complaints, is generally a nice place. Despite the small town, Bowdoin is not as isolated as one might think. Freeport, Maine is only 15 minutes away, and it's only 30 minutes to Portland.

preppy preppy preppy!!! aaaaah very difficult after first few weeks or so to meet new people - i think that because the school is so small people feel compelled to hang on to their groups more intensely and are frightened to explore other social options, even if it means striking up an actual conversation with the student sitting next to you before class. also, no opportunities are really provided to mix with people from other years. even though there are parties, the big ones are mostly limited to awkward freshman and sketchy/very drunk sophomores

When people hear Bowdoin they have one of two reactions; they either know it or they don't. People who know it say "Oh wow that's a great school!" I have occasionally heard it being described as "all the best parts of Harvard, but smaller." Then there are the people who don't know it, and they generally say "Bow-doin?" (pronouncing it wrong) "Oh where is that?" And when you reply that it's in Maine they say "Oh, it's cold there!" Bowdoin is very small. Everybody hears everything very quickly, and everyone knows everyone (for better or worse).

Bowdoin is hands down the most amazing place ever. I was totally one of those people who disliked highschool and never put much thought into school spirit. This all changed when I got to Bowdoin. The place and the people are so incredible that you can't help but be proud of it. The people here love to be active. The gym is a campus hotspot while others swear it off prefering the ample outdoors activities that surround the campus. Even in the dead of our intense Maine winters we make the most of it. Its an incredible college experience.

I don't think the undergraduate experience gets any richer than it is at Bowdoin. Like any other school, Bowdoin has its shortcomings, but it is really top-notch in most regards. When current students look at the now 18 percent admission rate, many of them will say that they shouldn't have gotten in, or they don't know how they made the cut. But students don't end up here because they aced the SAT or took 13 AP courses in high school. While students are very smart, I think they're here because they're incredibly interesting and passionate.

Bowdoin is extremely friendly. With such a small campus, the communal feeling grows on you, fast. People are always smiling and willing to help. Signing up for classes a random upperclassmen will tell you who to take and who to avoid, regardless of the fact that you may have no idea who they are. Even studying in the library or Cafe, if another person from your class happens to be there, study groups form instantly. If coming from a big city, the small town life takes a little bit of adjusting, but in the end, it's worth it.

Bowdoin is just the right size, but it's small enough so that when I tell people about it, they don't usually know where it is unless they are well educated individuals. There's a small town surrounding Bowdoin, but there is very little night life in it, a few bars. There were a few open forums recently to discuss sexuality at Bowdoin. There were a few homophobic comments made at the beginning of the year and these forums were held to discuss why and if the community is fostering negative stigmas concerning sexuality.

For me, Bowdoin college is the perfect size- just large enough to not have to see everyone everyday, but a small tight knit community. In this sort of setting, it is easy to find friends to hang with. Coming from a small town, this was a great transition. As for the town of Brunswick, where the college is placed, its a little dull for my liking, but pretty nice for the most part. The restaurants are amazing! I usually spend most of my time on campus, but this changes as you get older/ have a car!