Bowdoin College

« See more reviews of Bowdoin College

I love that Bowdoin is small enough that it's not overwhelming and there are plenty of people I still don't know, but at the same time it seems much much bigger than the HS I graduated from. A lot of people I talk to have never heard of Bowdoin and/or don't know where it is, which I find strange. However, I have found that most of the people I know on campus are extremely smart and driven, and yet have a host of other interest such as sports, other outdoor activities, dance, you name it.

So many times people ask where I go to school, and I say "Bowdoin"; they reply, "Where?" But to everyone who goes here, Bowdoin is the center of the universe. We have a community that could not be fostered as well at any larger school. Bowdoin is in the middle of a small town, some people might say in the middle of nowhere - I say it's perfect. It's only 20 minutes from Freeport, 30 minutes from Portland, 2 hours from Boston and less than 10 minutes away from the ocean.

Best thing academically: Professors. Best thing overall: Ivies Weekend. Good student body size if you like close contact with professors and peers. The town is great. Go to the Little Dog Cafe! Administration recently started buying carbon credits from some wind energy company. I pay 40+ a year to get an education, to live in a nice dorm and to eat good food. I do not pay 40+ a year to subsidize an unreliable, insignificant source of alternative energy.

Sometimes Bowdoin feels very small, but when it comes to classes this is the best part! all of my professors know my name and can discuss my work with ease. I can get as much one on one attention as I want and it's easy to participate in calss. The college town has lots of good restaurants although a lot of them are closed on Sunday. Freeport is fun for a day trip. It's a little hard to find a group at first if you're not on a sports team because most everyone is.

Its so welcoming, everyone is generally a good person at heart. There is a real sense of community. In a very quaint town--Brunswick--that is a college town, but there are still a lot of very cool places and Portland is only 30min away. Most people do spend most of their time on campus though, mainly because there is always something going on. Its very small, but that helps create the amazing sense of community, the only negative is the limited class offerings.

The best thing about Bowdoin is the tight knit, friendly community. It would be better if Bowdoin were in a larger ciy, Brunswick is very small. The school is a little small. If something big happens, word spreads fast. In general, people are impressed when I tell them I go to Bowdoin. The entire administration is very friendly and eager to talk to students. School spirit is great, especially when it comes to hockey games and the rivalry with Colby.

Great atmosphere, everyone is incredible motivated and works really hard and is passionate about all that they do, but at the same time people are all about hanging out with friends. It is not a cut-throat competitive atmosphere. It's more people work hard and get there stuff done because they care about it, not because they want to show everyone up. Everyone is so supportive of each other and genuinely loves the school and what they do.

Bowdoin is an amazing school; it was my top choice and I am so lucky to be here. I think what I love most is that everyone wants to be here and takes advantage of all the opportunities Bowdoin has to offer. There is a lot of school spirit and an intimate community feel. I also love that Bowdoin is not one kind of school; it excells equally in many different areas: academics, athletics, arts, community service, etc. There is so much to do!

The best part about bowdoin is its intimate environment. I think it is the right size, and I do not get much of a reaction from people when I tell them I go to bowdoin. I spend most of my time in Smith Union. I think Bowdoin is a college town. I do not recall a big controversy on campus recently. I think there is a school pride, which I share. Bowdoin has very extreme winters, which are probably most memorable for me.

Bowdoin is a nice size for me as I came from a small private school. The campus has a good sense of community, you don't get lost, and you still meet new people. Because of the small size there is more one on one time with professors. A minus to Bowdoin is that name recognition with smaller companies is not very good. The larger cooperations and grad schools however, favor Bowdoin kids.