Bowie State University Top Questions

Mabinty

I wish had known that like me, the school had been going through financial challenges. I knew little about the school, having transferred from Xavier University of Louisiana as a pre-med major and eager to pursue journalism at a new school and complete my undergraduate degree. In addition to the financial status of the school, I wish had a deeper understanding of governance of the school, which impacted operations. Despite the challenges, the school had a number of knowledgeable professors from diverse backgrounds, a treasure at a school mainly known for its sports program and HBCU status.

Paola

Don't be shy. Try to meet as many classmates as you can. All of them will be your best friends in your professional future career.

donnie

I wish I would have known that its ok to go to a college or university in my own state. Many times we get caught up in trying toget away from family and home. You can obtain the same education at your home town college or university just like a university or college that is in another state.

Hope

I wish i would have known what I intended on majoring in so I wouldnt have wasted time.

LaNetta

My school academically is great, I wish I would have known that it was not as diverse although it is a HBCU. Diversity is important so that you can broaden you horizons and get a better outlook on life.

kelli

I wish I had known how inefficient some of the inner workings of Bowie State are, that the school is not student oriented, how nonchalant most of the faculty are when it comes to their students, how petty and politically motivated the administration is, how few of the students even know why they are there. Basically I wish I had some type of clues as to how difficult my time at Bowie State would be so I could have made a better decision.

Edward

The science facilities leave a lot to be desired. The professors are great and do the best with what they have, but in many instances laboratory equipement is either very old or unusable. There have been instances where I question if I am getting adequate hands on experience.

Francell

I wish I would have known how to take a personal Interest in teachers. I also didn't know there was a GPA for just Core Classes.

Ciara

I wish I had known that BSU has "residential lottery", in which students are randomly selected in a lottery that determines whether or not they have housing. With me being an out of state student, this is particularly alarming to know. Depsite having a high GPA and being an out of state student, I may not receive housing based off of chance.

Jamal

That it was boring and very rarely do extra curricular activities occur unless it is homecoming week or greek life is hosting events

Leo

I changed my major after studying a computer major. I wish there were a place on campus that helps students zero in on the area that best suits my personal ity and interest. I am now in the major and want to participate in as a life choice and careet.

Gaius

There is nothing I really wish I knew before coming to Bowie State University. As a Cameroonian, I was raised to be equiped and prepare for anything. My parents raised me efficiently with books which I read and understood, with teachers who came home to lecture. Although all these things matter, I wish I knew how to socially interact with other groups of my peer.

Tania

I wish I had know that campus life isn't exciting at all and that the food isn't that great. I also wish i knew that the cafeteria hours were early, which isn't a good thing because sometimes many of us students get hungry after hours.

What to expect from an HBCU. But I love every bit of my HBCU experience

Prior to attending Bowie State University, I wish I had known how wonderful this school truly was. I heard so many rumors about Bowie State prior to my attending, which intially swayed my decision to attend in the first place. Now that I am a student there, I can truly say I am proud to be a Bowie State Bulldog. I am so proud to be attending a Historically Black University, which such a great interaction between students and faculty.

I wish that I would have known that the university didn't offer off-campus shuttles to go to various places, such as grocery stores.

I wish i had known how the classes and work load would have been. I wish that in orientation they were more thural about what I was entering into and how different it was from high school.

I wish i was more focus during some semesters because I let social factors get to me.

tiffany

I wish i had known that there was work study progras available. You can work in an office on campus while school is in session to help pay for school.

Ivee

Something I wish I had known before coming to this university was that the bathrooms are public. For some this may be not so much of an issue but for others it can be hectic! Regardless the bathroom situation i never forget why I'm really there, and that's to receive a quality education- To one day have my OWN bathroom. =]

Melisa

How to study

Pascal

none at this point

Nathaniel

That it had people similar to those from highschool.

Chinomnso

I feel that I came to this school well prepared to learn and interact with both the students and staff here. I dont feel that I have anything that I should've been aware of before entering Bowie State University.

The one thing I wish I would have known before coming here was that Bowie State is dead on the weekends

Cynthia

As indicated earlier, Bowie State University was not my first college choice. In fact, my first choice was the College of Notre Dame in Baltimore, MD. However, I would have liked to have known about the lack of resources and service that this campus offers. Similar to many HBCU's, the lack of state and federal funding is obvious all around campus, especially in relation to maintenance, renovation, student services and support, and the overall cleanliness of the campus. It would have been nice to experience the typical day of a Bowie State University student before becoming one.

Davinna

I'm the first child in my family to attend a Four Year University as a full time student so my preparation for college wasn't as thorough as i woud've liked it to be. I was basically just trying to find a school in Maryland that had a BSN program and was close to home. There's not so much that i wish i would've known, i just wish i would've broadened my horizons to choose a better school. However, im still content with my decision of coming here.

Karla

I wish I had known about the lack of funding that is available for the school from the public and the state.