Huron, OH
Bowling Green State University-Firelands

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bowling Green State University-Firelands

Jeff

I have been attending classes at BGSU Firelands since my Sophomore year in high school. I am currently in my senior year in high school and will graduate with an associates in science. Firelands is a wonderful small college for anyone in the area, especially people who haven't been to any college at all.

lexi

My overall experience is good. The campus is really small so tou cab get from place to place very easy. Their is no housing, everyone driving at least 10 minutes or more to get to campus. The food is expensive. The staff is helpful. If you are not fortunate like me its hard to drive back and forth without any gas money

eden

Class size varies from 10 -20 depending on time and day etc. Some teachers are excellent others just don't care, and will just do enough to "teach" you. The food is way overpriced for what it is. Its close to home, so that's a plus. Overall this is pretty okay school.

Steven

I've heard they are dropping the computer science classes from BGSU Firelands thereby causing all interested students to go to main campus and pay higher fees and be forced to live ON campus instead of home and eat their food. Debt will rise dramatically. Will need to find another route for a future.

Allison

Bowling Green State University- Firelands is a school that changed my life. Being able to live at home to save money, but still being offered an affordable education is something I wasn't sure I would have the opportunity to do. Thanks to BGSU Firelands, I am furthering my education to pursue the career I love!

My opinion overall is that it is a nice community based college. It is a university but in a small town, making it feel cozy and inviting. It is in a safe place with many police officers around to make you feel protected. The teachers are good to work with, and the classes are thought provoking. Like all colleges it has its difficulties and the advisors can be difficult, but it is a nice college. I am so thankful that it is a short drive, also.

Rebecca

If I was giving myself advice I would have reassured myself more that college is a clean slate. Going to college means a new opportunity to invent myself, to go out and be who I want to be, and show the world all the wonderful skills I have to offer. It is okay to be nervous about starting college, but it should also be a very exciting time of your life. Stay positive even when life's challenges are thrown your way, don't let anyone define you but yourself, and always remember that your happiness starts within yourself. Push yourself to go outside of your comfort zone at times to connect with new people and form new relationships, and don't be afraid to try something that you wouldn't typically do. College might seem like a huge leap into unknown territory, but always remember that your education is going to get you to where you want to be in life.

Noah

Being on your own will be scary at first. The independence is incredible, but you don't have mom and dad to wake you up for class. You don't have mom and dad to buy your food, or make your bed, or to clean your room. You have to set your own alarm clock, wash your own laundry, get to class on time by yourself, and not complain when things don't go your way. The hard part about this that you'll see a lot of your peers struggle with (and maybe drop out because of) is that your whining and complaints don't have an surface to bounce off of but yourself. If something goes wrong then it will be your fault, and it will be your responsibility to make it right. There's nobody to blame for your problems, and when the shit hits the fan you'll only have yourself to depend upon. It's a harsh reality for a lot of people, but that's only because they make the choice not to live up to the consequences of their own decisions. Be an adult, take responsibility for yourself, and you'll be fine.

Michelle

As a high school senior I was stepping into unknown territory. I was the first in my family to attend college so no one could offer advice. My advice to myself would be stay in the dormatory and do NOT move out into an apartment!! You will have a lifetime to live on your own and your degree needs to be first priority. Your grades will suffer and eventually you will be kicked out of school because your working too much to pay for your apartment. Also get out of your dorm freshman year! There is so much to do on campus, expand your friend base and enjoy this experience. One day you will wake up and turn 40 and realize you could of had your degree if you would of just stayed in the dorm!

BGSU Firelands has a broad student base that ranges all ages. It is a great start for those who want to attend a four year college or to finish your degree at main campus in Bowling Green. The staff is great and they have a great number of degrees to choose from.

The cost of textbooks but unfortunately I believe all schools have this issue.

Daniel

BGSU is an awesome school. I didn't think so at first when I went here, but the faculty, students, and programs have shown me different. The university is one of the only universities with a strictly male-oriented development group, Vanguard. Vanguard helps young men discover and cement their identity, deal with issues in college like time management and, in a recent meeting, helped them overcome masks they were wearing throughout life. If there was one thing I'd change however, it would be General Studies Writing. GSW is a required English class on campus, and is hated by nearly all of the students here. I would make the class much more interesting, rather than writing essays and sitting at computers all day. However, even my experience in that class is dwarfed by my excellent experience in other classes. Instead of focusing on memorization as most high schools do, teachers here help you understand the concepts behind what you are learning. For example test questions in my American Government exam consist of "What was Plessy vs. Ferguson about?" not "What year was the case Plessy vs. Ferguson brought to court?" I spend most of my time in the residence halls, which are not dorms (coming from the french word dormiere, or "to sleep") but places to live, have fun, and build community (I sound like an advertisement now, I swear). There is tons of school pride here, as you can tell by the amount of orange and brown you will see all over campus. My big complaint with this school is the colors. Orange and brown, really? BGSU is the only campus where you can wear shoot-me orange and still blend in. The last thing you should know is that Wi-Fi and A/C, both considered essential in our modern age, are not in most of the freshman residence halls.

What's the dating scene like?

BGSU has an average of 3 girls to every guy. So for a male, there is a expansive dating scene here at Bowling Green, for the ladies out there, it's slightly more difficult to find a man here. There is a huge party/social scene on and near campus so it's really easy to meet people/potential dates, especially on the weekends.

A stereotype I did not mention previously is the BG-STD stereotype. Many students here are perceived that way by outsiders. The university takes a very progressive view of sexual activity, and this stereotype seems to take it's base from that information.

At Bowling Green State University, there are many stereotypes. But none of them really fit all students at BGSU. We have jocks, frat boys, nerds, etc., but none of them really fall into one category. Some nerds are great at basketball, some frat boys are starting charitable events, and jocks are doing extremely well in school. BGSU is a work hard during the week, party hard on the weekend school, and students here have a higher average GPA than most schools around the country. So, none of the stereotypes are completely accurate.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There are a few places you can get lots of homework done on campus. The top places are the 7th and 8th floor of our campus library. the 7th floor is group study, so talking is allowed. But the 8th floor is completely quiet study, and you won't be bothered there. There is also a study lounge in each residence hall, and it is an unspoken rule that the lounge stays almost completely quiet.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose BGSU because I was looking to major in political science. They have an excellent program here, some of the students even got to comment on the 2008 presidential debate on national television. I am, thus far, happy with my choice.

What do students complain about most?

Most students are constantly complaining about the way this administration "nickel and dimes" all of the students. There's a lot of small fees here. If you lock yourself out of your room the 3rd time, $5. Lose your keys/Personal Entry Device combo? $40. Leave your room not quite as the university specifies for break? $25. Your ID card gets damaged? another $25. You don't need to bring quarters for the washing machines, but they charge you $40 a semester for using them. Printing in black and white is pretty cheap, but god forbid you want to print in color...19 cents a page. Other than the fees here, the university is pretty sweet. just bring an extra couple hundred bucks for things like this.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms or "residence halls", are pretty good. As with any college, the dorms cost more or just as much as an apartment, but you are required to live on campus for the first 2 years. The dorms vary in size depending on the price you pay for them. The current prices range from $2,335-$2,800 per semester for a double room and and $2,840-$3,300 for a single. There is a 2 movable desks, 2 bookshelves, 2 closets and storage cubbies (which are fairly large, almost 4ft deep) and a bunk bed in each room The bed can be de-bunked, raised and lowered. There is carpet in MOST, not all, dorm rooms. BG is really big on fire safety, you can't have personal heaters, heat lamps, stoves, pizza ovens, etc. in your room. If you have hair straighteners or hair dryers, use them in the restroom only. The fire alarms in the dorms are very sensitive. There is usually a pool table, air hockey table, and ping-pong in the lobby. You need to have a personal entry device (PED) to enter the residence part of every hall. your Resident Advisor will plan programs for the floor to participate in, and several times a semester local eateries will sample food in the lobbies.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

One BG tradition is the "chuck a duck" fundraiser from the Men's Chorus. A bunch of guys in swim gear in a hot tub in late November-early December run after ducks for a dollar. That's one throw per dollar, but if you give two, you can throw it twice! Last year a guy gave $50 and the choir member had to run all the way to the football field and back! Needless to say, that's a wonderful spectator sport. Another BG tradition is the howl or, as one could call it, the "werewolf howl". If you're walking the campus at night, howl at the sky, and usually someone will howl back. It's a fun game to play while you're doing nothing else :) (It also can keep you up at night, so close your window. Just a hint.) The final tradition I know about is BG's spirit crew, or "SicSic". The official secret organization on campus. No one really knows who's behind the masks of the mysterious spirit crew, but they show up every and anywhere an event is being held on campus. When they sign up for SicSic, as legend goes, they never leave the crew, and they go to a secret location to put on the masks that very few have discovered....

Describe a typical weekend.

On a typical weekend at BGSU, everyone goes out to party, or a football game, which are hugely popular here. Cla-zel is a hugely popular club in downtown Bowling Green, and there are several pubs and bars that there are numerous parties at on the weekends. A lot of students just go downtown and walk around until they find a party. There are various university-sponsored events of course, but on the weekends they are fairly unpopular here.

The students here really comprise a "melting pot", so there isn't really any stereotype that defines BGSU students. The stereotype of most students contracting STD's STI's is inaccurate as far as I can tell however.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When you step off campus, you see restaurants and bars. Towards the north side of campus, there is a McDonalds, a Starbucks, Chipotle, Waffle House, and a gas station. Towards the south side of campus, there are two bookstores, Myle's Pizza and Pub, Grounds for Thought (a coffee shop), and several bars. There are several frat houses off campus, and, especially if you're a girl, you can always find a party to go to on the weeknights. Down main st. there are restaraunts, but mostly more bars, pubs, and the like. There is a diner and also a few clubs, such as Cla'Zel's.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The dining options here at BGSU are amazing, There are two AYCE (All-You-Can-Eat) dining centers on campus, one on the southeast, and one on the northwest side. basically, you swipe your card, and eat anything you want in the center. When you're finished, or you have class, you can then leave the center. There is also a lounge in one of the centers, and Wi-Fi access in both, so you can study and eat at the same time. There are 4 On-campus fast food places and a Jamba Juice in the middle of campus (The Falcon's Nest), which will be expanding next fall. The food in the AYCE centers is cooked by professional chefs, and although I wouldn't put it up to gourmet, it's not too bad overall. Off-campus, there is also a wide variety of options. Like Jimmy Johns and Subway? Got 'em. IHOP and Waffle House? Here as well. And Toledo, one of the restaurant capitals of America, is only 30 minutes away. From pizza to subs, Chinese food to groceries, off campus bowling green has enough restaurants to keep even a picky eater like myself quite happy.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Bowling Green has over 15 intramural sports on-campus. They hold tryouts every year, and go around the state/nation to compete. We have a MAC (Mid-American-Conference) qualifying and championship team in football, soccer, volleyball, hockey and basketball. There are also club teams, just under the intramurals, that anyone can tryout for but don't compete in tournaments. There are a variety of martial arts/non-traditional sports (such as fencing) on campus as well.

Our school is very close-in. The farthest you will walk often is only 15 minutes. It's only 20 minutes from one side of campus to the direct opposite side.There are two brand new dining centers, all-you-can-eat style on each side of campus, and a central food court/conference area/general meeting area in the center. There is a mix of older and newer buildings, a large recreation center, and a 8-floor library.

What are your classes like?

Our classes are medium sized, but the professors are pretty sweet. Our classes are on average boring, but they manage to throw pretty fun ideas into the classes to make them more interesting. Our classes are frequently canceled, but usually not because of the weather. In fact, Bowling Green won't cancel your class for weather-related reasons until the weather is so bad you physically could not get to class if you tried. You can expect your class to be set up like your high school as far as desks go, but you can expect the lectures to be pretty interactive, though even that varies by professor. Most professors don't allow Facebook/twitter/StumbleUpon, but allow you to Google things and bring your laptops to class too.

The most popular groups on Bowling Green State's campus are...fraternities/sororities. Quite a few students, especially freshmen, join in the fall "rush" to join the Greek life. The second would be sports, and I know several guys that play an NCAA or an intramural sport. It depends on which dorm you live in whether you leave your door open or not. Most of the non air-conditioned freshman dorms have at least someone in every wing that constantly keeps their door open. The dating scene is awesome for girls, but especially for guys. Girls outnumber guys 3 to 1 on campus, and you can always find a date on the weekends at one of the clubs or bars downtown.If I'm personally awake at 3am, I am working on homework, or wasting time on StumbleUpon. An annual BG Tradition is the rivalry with the University of Toledo at homecoming. We run the football along the highway that separates the two schools to each stadium in the annual "ball run" before the homecoming game. We also hold falcon fest, an annual festival in September each year that showcases the various organizations on campus and serves as a sort of hiring fair as well. There are several games on Saturday night to keep you occupied, and the biggest party night here is actually Thursday night.

The students at BG are a wide variety, but the amount of programs that are LGBT oriented are impressive. There is also a Black Student Union, Latino Student Union and dozens of other student organizations. The campus has a really active Greek life too. Most students wear whatever they want to class, a few will come in pajamas, I know I have. The students self-segregate in the dining centers. And there isn't very much interracial interaction, black students eat together, whites eat together.Students here are predominantly liberal, and not politically active at all. Out of 10,000 students in first ward, only 600< voted this year. Students are mostly undecided majors and/or careers that I talk to.

Bowling Green State University-Firelands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.