Bowling Green State University-Main Campus

« See more reviews of Bowling Green State University-Main Campus

The administration - they are more concerned with profits margins and expenses than promoting quality education. They are not interested in responding to students' needs/interests nor do they make any meaningful attempts at asking for student input. They do not adequately fund academics as compared to sports. The library here is not very useful at all. Most advisors are a waste of space. Dining services offers low quality food at inflated prices with limited options in terms of diet (fat, protein, carbs, meat vs. vegetarian) and hours/location (most hold inconvenient hours).

One thing that I have had plenty of problems with the school is that their advisors and instructors don't do what they seem to be hired to do, to help students get through school with what they want to do. They are very reluctant to make exceptions to meet a students' needs and I have had to rely on myself to advise myself and some of my friends. There are also clashes between schools in the university which cause students to not be able to be satisfied with their education.

The worse thing about my school is how much it is. I am going into a career that cost a lot of money and every little penny meens the difference to me. Even all the homework, essays and final exams do not stress me as much as the money part. I always worry if I can afford the next semester. My grades are always the best, and I always try my best, but a student can only have so many jobs to pay off school. This is the worst part of Bowling Green, really stresses me out.

One of the major downfalls of attending Bowling Green State University, would be the partier mantality. Often times, the dorms are filled with loud music and people yelling about which party they are attending that certain night. The dorms do have quiet hours, but they are not often enforced. The campus wide party attitude makes it difficult for students not interested in partying to find a quiet place to study, or even just relax after a long day of classes.

The thing I would consider the worst at Bowling Green State University would have to be the increasing tuition every semester. We were told that tuition would not go up for the year, but it ended increasing 3.5% the second semester I was there. It has been a challenge to find any type of nursing scholarship. Although there are a lot of scholarships out there (as they tell you) it's hard to find one that I qualify for.

BGSU has been facing severe budget cuts from the state and has tightened many expenses. The worst of these has been firing more than 100 faculty, resulting in larger class sizes and lack of class availability so that some students are unable to take required courses and graduate in a timely manner - some have to stay an extra semester or two. Likewise, the diversity of electives being offered is diminishing.

The parking situation here at BGSU is very frustrating and inconvinent. We have to park very far away from our dorms and it is not safe to walk alone at night. Also, the computer labs in the dorms are not well kept. The printers rarley work and this is very frustrating and inconvinent...it is hard to complete work. The hours of the dining halls is also inconvinent.

I would consider the worst thing about my school to be the location. It really had nothing to do with academics in any way but the wind in Bowling Green is dreadful. Not only is it terrible on a sunny day but especially when it's snowing and the wind creates huge drifts. The wind makes the winter in Ohio even more harsh if that even seems possible.

I would like staff to response to phone calls & e-mails. I would like to see more communication outside the classroom. For exampl,e I recently decided to pursue a Master's Degree. I wanted to sit down with someone to dicuss my options. I only got the run around, and miss-informantion. This cause me to attend a different University.

For me, I have to pay a ridiculous amount of out-of-state tuition (nearly $4000 per semester). My hometown is only 50 miles away. I live close than many of the students who are from this state. BGSU should have some sort of out-of-state tuition waiver or reduction for students from Michigan, since it is so close to the state line.