Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

Melissa

My school is involved not only in the academic and athletic scenes, but within the surrounding community as well; it is all encompassing.

In looking for a college it is necessary to first identify the proximity of which you wish to reside away from your home. If you get really home sick than you might want to consider a school within 50 miles of your house and possibly living at home while taking classes for the first semester, just until you get aclamated. Following your decision on the general proximity of the school, one should consider both the academic standards of the school and the general school size. In most cases, both student and parent want a school that holds itself to high academic standards, size on the other hand is mainly attributed to that with which the student would be comfortable. Some students are very comfortable in large group situations and therefore would prefer a larger school, whereas others are much more apt to prefer small group settings, wtih individual student-teacher time, these students would be more likely to preside within a smaller school. Beyond these few criteria, the last of the significant aspects of any college would be the availability of financial aid and the over all social scene which must be evaluated on an individual student to student basis.

Some of the books in the library are slightly outdated, they could stand to be updated with more recent versions.

Vanessa

Bradley has amazing interactive professors who care about the student, great opportunities for students to take advantage of, it is a medium sized school and it's located in Peoria Illinois the corporate center of Catepillar.

My advice is first, that they get an idea what they want to do with that major when they graduate. I am the first of my family to attend college so I asked my teacher for guidance. Second, a great career center, the job placement rate is important, the resources available for students with interview or resume building skills. Finally, 'the right' college should be a place the student feels comfortable. I thought what I wanted was a big school but in the end I chose a medium sized school! Making the best of college is simple. Don't let people influence your goals. In high school I was an achiever and when I went to high school people told me "It's okay if you don't do that great your first year," that comment made it seem I could just take things slowly instead of becoming more involved and working harder in school. The next thing is to manage your time very efficiently. Bradley has over 240 organizations, so get involved, it will make the college experience amazing! School is about academics but it is also about meeting new people, building networks and having an amazing time.

Bradley hasn't updated all of its residence halls. Although, the asthetics of the college are being worked on when it rains the school floods because the sidewalks weren't build correctly.

Ryo

Don't just choose the school that is the most well known. Though there may be an excellent program, you may be sacraficing something else for that program. Always look into percentage of job placement after graduation, class sizes, and what kind of professors teach at that school. Private or public, every school is different so keep your eyes peeled.

This school has one of the best civil engineering programs in the nation. Also, there has been 100% placement after college in the CE department for quite some time now.

Our school is best known for basketball and engineering

Our school is best known for basketball and engineering

I would tell them to absolutely visit the school before they send their kids there. I would also recommend meeting the president of the college personally and put them on the spot with questions that are not answered in an FAQ session. (personable, open door policy...etc.) I would also ask about the crime rates around the campus as well as activities.

The parking is the most frustrating thing.

It claims to be "middle sized", meaning it has all that a bigger school offers, but with the individuality and one-on-oneness of a smaller college and I would have to agree with them on that counrt.

My most ardent advice to future college students is not to sell themselves short. I understand money is an issue, but I had to take loans out regardless of the college. If I had known that while I was in high school, I would not have let my parents influence me to stay in the state of Illinois. I would have gone to the best school I could have for what I want to do. Luckily, there is such a thing as grad school and I am afforded the opputunity to again choose a great place to earn a degree. Bradley has been a wonderful college and home to me, but it does not completely offer what I was looking for. Bottom line: dream big or go home.

Honestly, having to work with my advisors is the most annoying thing because I have three majors and it is a pain to have to see each one and work around them when I could easily do it myself.

John

I'm a Health Science major, so most of my classmates are middle or upperclass good looking white chicks who are fun to hang out with and date.

Really look into what size of college is right for you. A big impersonal school is a great place to get lost in the crowd and have a few really good friends, but if you would really like to get involved, matter, make a difference, and have a ton of friends during college I would say a small or medium sized school would be best. Also look at the ability to switch your major because you most likely will. Make sure they have a wide array of alternatives. I wouldn't worry too much about social life because you end up making your own no matter where you go. However remember that city schools without a tightly nit campus will not have much to offer you in the way of social options. Good Luck!

I wish that I had done a little more research on the career path I was planning on at the time. Bradley is small, but they have an amazing amount of different Majors to study.

Michelle

The Engineering School brought in a lot of students.

The Engineering School brought in a lot of students.

I went out of state for my education, and although I visited the school before enrolling, I wasn't prepared for the distance, with not being able to go home and see family and friends. I think prospective students should research schools, and maybe find a few campuses close to home and far from home, visit them, and consider how well they're going to fit in and how much they're going to miss their support group from home. Those first few months are key, making friends may not come easily for some, which can make the away-from-home experience horrible, and others will find it's the best thing that has happened for them. The parent's should support where they're child wants to go, let them know they'll be there if they need them. Students should feel like they're making a move towards independance, even if they're still depending on their parents.

I wish my high school had emphasized lecture notetaking. I had a variety of professors, some wrote their notes on the board, some had printed outlines, and some you had to pick and choose throughout the lecture what was important.

Casey

Visit a lot of different schools and go with your gut. You will know when you find the right choice for yourself. When you get to school just make sure you get involved in as much as possible. That is the easiest way to meet people with whom you have much in common.

One who is afraid of getting to know their classmates and professors

Erika

I would advise for parents and students to take their time in deciding but know you still have a deadline. Students do not need to have a set idea of where they want to go in life, they can find that on their own where ever they go, whether they decide to stay home or go away to school. Parents should encourage and go with their students to visit colleges so they can see where their student is thinking and how the school looks. This way the student will feel supported in his/her decision of where to go. the student should be comfortable when visiting a campus he/she should feel welcome not just thurst into the wolrd of another set of classes. Also be aware of the surrounding areas and where inportant places are like hospitals and banks and what their security force is like. You may want to check cell service too. Be ready for change, it should always be an enjoyable experience for both parents and students.

I wish I had more of an idea of what I wanted to study because I changed my major three times since first enrolling. this caused me to take on so many credit hours per semester in order to catch up so I could graduate on time. But the professors and students I encountered are some the best I have ever known and I would not change meeting them.

There is no particular type of person who attends Bradley. We all enjoy the smaller campus with only 6,000 students attending on average per year. We have great professors who are always available to us. Someone who attends this school needs to want to do well, and enjoy working with others, someone who is willing to voice their opinion because we all want to hear it.

Do not base your decisions about how the school looks or how many different parties there are. No matter where you go there will be parties. Base your decision one education. Education is the reason why you are going to college in the first place. Get as much out of college as you possibly can and continue your life knowing how hard you worked to get where you are now.

I wish I would have know that Bradley University provided a wonderful education, and that I should have taken advantage of every class I had.

The best thing about my school is that it is small. It is not too small though where you never meet new people. All my classes are in one place and close to campus and off campus.

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.