Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

The best thing about Bradley is the size. Many would consider BU a small school, but for me it is just right. I love walking to class and seeing a lot of firmiliar faces. The class sizes are perfect, making it easier to get to know professors on a one to one bases. When I tell people I go to Bradley they see dollar signs but also a good school. I spend most of my time either in the dorms, at my sorority house, or in the library. The biggest controversy on campus rececntly has been the underage drinking and trying to get rid of it. "Once A Brave, Always A Brave."

Bradley is very laid back and very diverse.

These stereotypes are not accurate.

Because Bradley is such a small school it is very easy to know professors names. Students study hard and are competitive in the classroom. Public Relations is a great major and the communications department is amazing.

There are many organizations around campus. I am involved in a sorority and theatre.

Some stereotypes about Bradley students are that they are all rich and stuck up because Bradley is a small private school.

Dana

The best thing about Bradley is definitely the size. It's small size means: small classes, more sudent/professor attention and getting to know a lot of people that you go to school with. Coming from a large University after my Freshman year, this was something that really impressed me about Bradley. Most of my time on campus was spent at my sorority house and in classes. There basically is no college town. To be honest, Peoria is really crummy. It is very urban and run-down. You have to be safe when walking around campus alone at night. My sorority gave out pepper-spray for this very purpose, but thankfully I never had to use it. Although there were a few reports of muggings and rapes, Bradley does a good job of increasing security. They have a great escort program; if you call them, they will walk you to and from anywhere on campus. Bradley's administration is great. We just got a new President, JoAnne Glasser, who is wonderful. She is so caring and thoughtful towards the students and really wants to get to know everyone. The biggest recent controversy on campus was after a popular soccer player was killed accidentally by his friends at the beginning of the year. The friends accused of his murder were told that after their time in jail , that they would definitely be allowed to enroll again at Bradley. But then when they tried to enroll for the 2008-2009 school year, Bradley's administration denied them. There is a ton of school pride; especially for the Braves Basketball team. Students have great attendance at the games and even have their own section. One experience I will always remember about Bradley is going to a Peoria Chief's game that unfortunately got rained out. And President Glasser was supposed to throw out the first pitch, so she was a little upset. But anyways, she ended up taking myself and 7 of my friends out to dinner and then for ice cream that night. It was so neat to be having dinner with the president of the university and she was so down to earth and fun to be with. It was a great night! I think the most frequent student complaints would be the low quality of food in the cafeterias on campus. I think they really try to get what the students want, but it's still not very good. Also, a big problem is the lack of air conditioning in a lot of the dorms. Which is basically only a problem your freshman/sophormore years, when most people live on campus.

Bradley's student body is very diverse. Although there are predominantly "white" sororities/fraternities and predominantly "African American" sororities/fraternities, but they don't interact with one another. There are also a lot of Christian/ religious student groups on campus, which can be overwhelming if you aren't Christian. But the Jewish student group, Hillel, is also big on campus too. Most students don't really dress up for class. Jeans are the prerequisite attire or even pajamas, if you're feeling lazy. Most Bradley students come from Chicago/ Chicago suburbs or St. Louis/St. Louis suburbs. Most students are middle class. There are a ton of political student groups that are very active on campus. It's a very liberal campus, it seems like, though.

Bradley is a great school in a perfect package. My only regret is that I didn't get to study abroad during my time at Bradley but I got to do it after I graduated anyways. Greek life is a big deal although there are rumors that the administration is trying to slowly get rid of it altogether. There are also rumors that the administration is trying to turn Bradley into a "dry campus" where any drinking would be prohibited. But while sororities/fraternities are on campus, this will never happen.

No, it's the exact opposite and we excel in things like Engineering, Debate, etc.

Academics at Bradley are great. Again, because it's a small school most or all of your professors will know your name. My favorite class was probably, painting. I'm an art major but I wasn't required to take it. But the teacher was great and she really gives you personal attention. My least favorite class was Oceanography. For a 300 level class there was WAY too much information to retain for each test and the tests were the only grades in the class. Students study to varying degrees, depending on their major(s). Because I was an art major, I spent my time doing artwork instead of studying. But I had lots of sorority sisters who were nursing, accounting or English majors and they spent a lot of time studying. Class participation is very common, but again it depends on the class and your major. Bradley has high academic requirements for it's students. They expect a lot out of you and that makes you work harder and achieve more. The education at Bradley is definitely geared towards getting a job. They have a great career center and professors are always willing to talk to you about job opportunities in your desired field. Bradley really prides itself on the amount of graduating students who graduate with a job.

The most popular groups on campus are definitely the sororities/fraternities and the Christian/religious groups. I'm involved in a social sorority on campus and I love it. It gives you the opportunity to meet a ton of great people that you wouldn't necessarily meet on campus otherwise. Also, it gives you the opportunity to participate in various local, national philanthropies and volunteer-ism. Bradley basketball games are the most popular sporting events and then soccer would come in second in popularity. There are a lot of good guest speakers that come each year on various topics. But every week during the year there is an artist/art related speaker sponsored by the art department. Also, every year there is one big rock concert, which is really popular. Last year we had Jack's Mannequin, which was awesome. There are a lot of theater productions during the year and they really try to get freshman involved, even if you're a first time actor. There really isn't a dating scene because the size of the school is so small. There really isn't an opportunity to meet new people to date unless you go to the bars around campus. My closest friends are my sorority sisters and although it's corny; some of them will probably be my bridesmaids. If you are awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, you are probably at Wal-Mart, which is open 24 hours. We have a week-long Homecoming celebration each year and most of our events revolve around our basketball and soccer teams. People party a lot, especially if you are in a sorority/fraternity. There isn't a lot that happens on the weekdays, but our weekends start on Thursday night and don't end till Sunday morning. Last weekend I went out to the bars with my friends and had a few drinks. If you don't drink, there's always movies on and off campus, bowling, studying, etc. Off campus there's mostly just bars, restaurants and 2 malls.

That because it's really easy to get into Bradley and because of that, we're all stupid.

kyle

the one thing that i would change would be the lack of things to do here. on a friday or saturday nite the only thing to do is go to parties. i would make it so that ppl could go bowling, or have more "other" activities. having the movie for only a dollar is a good start, but there needs to be more.

yes, the only thing that there is to really do is go to parties

Jody

I think it should be expected that with a college, espically since there are a lot of incoming students each year who are getting their first taste of freedom, there are going to be many students staying up late. However, the school nor surrounding businesses accomodate for that. With staying up late comes the midnight munchies, and there are very few places that are open passed 12:00, which means there are grumbling bellies all over campus that have to wait till morning (the sun comes up) before they can feed their hunger. I would put at least one kitchen in every dorm hall.

Someone who is antisocial might have a challenge adjusting to the university. I found that when I came, I was concerned about how trusting I could be of people. But I 've adjusted quite well and simply. It is amazing to me just how much stuff was happening on campus. There was no end to it.

I AM ABSOLUTLY IN LOVE WITH BRADLEY!!!!

My favorite class by far was british writers. It was in the afternoon so I could get a nap in before class. The teacher was very entertaining and above all the sotries that we were required to read were of a variety that made reading them not so bad. A lot of people don't know how to study coming into college, so to start off the year I don't think there is too much studying going on. But by the end of the semester on second semester I saw a change in people to start studying more. The library was quite the hotspot during that period of a crunch time.

$1 movies are amazing. Leaving your dorm door open is not odd at all. People walked into the room my freshman year which was uncomforting for the first five minutes but I definitly now can see how much I appreciate it. Nerf Commandos is pretty crazy but none the less awesome. 2am on a tuesday I was up playing video games with the people on my floor. I'm not a drinker. I think drinking limits what you can do on a saturday, because while you're hiding from the cops because you're intoxicated, I'm out enjoying myself. Again $1 movis rock. Going out bowling is always fun. Ghost in the graveyard with about 15 other people when its dark out (provided you have boundaries) is unbeatable. You can play beer pong without alchol. Apples to Apples is great with people you don't really know because its fun. Video games are undisputed fun whether you say you like them or not.

Lots of rich, stuck up, vain, and sheltered people.

Reese

It's a small school, so try to make more friends than enemies. The worst thing is how they nickel and dime you for everything. Any little service will cost you. (A replacement student ID is $20). The student body is by and large interested in Jesus and drinking, so if you don't share those interests, maybe try another school. of course, there are always exceptions.

heavily white, and heavily segregated. most students don't dress pretentiously or sloppily, just an average somewhere in the middle. Most BU students are from the suburbs of Chicago, but there are a handful of small town or out of state students.

While many of the students are from the suburbs and of a Caucasion background, this generalization is simply not an accurate representation of the student body as a whole, which has proven to be diverse and interesting.

Professors know you by name, generally due to the small class size. Participation ensures a solid grade. The education is more geared toward getting a job - I'm a senior and I don't feel I'm nearly prepared enough for a career in my major.

Fraternities and sororities are not necessary to join in order to have a social life, but it definitely helps. it turns the volume up in every way. Parties, whether thrown by greeks or non-greeks, happen almost every weekend. You don't even have to know the right people - mostly you just have to know one person who can hook you up, which isn't hard to find. Another popular social event is going to Bradley basketball games downtown. They're cheap, and transportation is free.

They are stereotyped as rich and spoiled suburban white kids, especially by the locals.

Carolyn

Best thing: great fit for anyone Size: just right, not too big, not to small Love the basketball games I get nothing but good responces when I tell people I attend Bradley Frequent Student complaints: Task Force

lots of diversity, mainly just normal average kids

I transfered here from a school in Florida and I felt welcome the minute I stepped on campus for a tour. It's a great place to be and it's the best decision I've made so far.

the positive ones yes, negative ones a smidge

I love my Finance professors, lots of competitiveness to get good grades, geared towards getting a job

leave doors open, great parties! the dating scene is awesome, I met my boyfriend through a friend and he's in a fraternity, so it's a significant part of life here. not everyone is associated with fraternities/sororities and you can still have a great time without them

Down to earth, Frat boys and Sorority Girls, overall very nice

David

All those stereotypes are inaccurate. Bradley has a wide variety of students coming from different backgrounds and different socioeconomical statuses. And no not all Greek members live in ANIMAL HOUSE. Last year the greek community raised over $50,000 and performed over 500 hours of community service.

About 5 years ago Bradley University had a great social life with something fun to do everynight that ranked among the best party schools in the midwest, but times have drastically changed. Now adays people are scared to party because there is a newly enforced comprehensive alcohol plan that charges $450 for a drinking ticket with the possiblity of suspension and eviction from fraternity houses. The biggest downer of the social life is the "Task Force." The task force is a group of undercover state police that come to our parties to write underage people expensive tickets for consumption of alcohol. I truly believe with these new rules the social aspect of BU will totally be destroyed and enrollment with severly be affected.

Everyone that attends Bradley is of the upper middle class and has lots of money. People believe that all students are from Illinois and are engineers. Almost all outsiders of the greek community believe fraternity and sorority members are just dumb alcoholics that don't study and just party all the time

Vanessa

Most people seem to be middle and upper middle class, there are a few really wealthy families. Everyone is really friendly and nice. It definitley has a small school feel. Its predominantly white so if your a student of color and you want diversity in your campus; DON'T come here. But I'm a student of color and even though at times I'm the only one in my class who isn't white, I barely notice it. It bothers some people more than others. But then again I went to school in the white suburbs.

Yes, but if people wanna get involved and they definitely can. And people can avoid cliques if they put the effort, BU even though its not a huge school ar 6,000 u can avoid people easily, and meet new people too.

Teachers will push you most of the time and care about their students. For the most part they expect a lot from you and want to see you succeed. But yeah... but like anything else there are exceptions...

If your not greek its harder to get involved. But its still very possible.

It's kind of a party school disguised as an academics school. Most students are middle class and upper middle class. Large greek community, and theres a lot of cliques. A lot of students are very apathetic towards what's going on around them.

Cody

Bradley is just right. Your professors get to know you by name and they can then begin to personalize the classroom experienc...

Bradley is just right. Your professors get to know you by name and they can then begin to personalize the classroom experience.

I really like the Communications department because all of the professors I've studied under have had a wealth of knowledge and experience with all of the software applications we've used.

Laura

The size is perfect, you can get to class in a few minutes across campus without taking a bus, the class sizes are perfect once you get into classes specialized for your major and it is not all taught by a TA or a a foreign professor that you cannot understand.

In general Bradley is made up of Caucasian students, but everyone is accepted and everyones beliefs are accepted equally. To class we wear pj's, sweats or jeans and a hoodie on most days making it really easy to get ready for class.

No, not everyone chooses to join a greek house and there are many other non-greek organizations and activities. Also, there is not a certain "type" of person for each fraternity/sorority, nor a certain "type" of person that joins.

Professors know your name and remember you, I have even had the same professor multiple times within my major allowing us to also develop a friendship. Most of the major classes get right to the point of your subject except for a few education classes. The gen eds are more pointless and taught in a lecture hall.

Greek life is very popular at bradley, it allows a chance to get involved and do fun things while meeting many new people. Even just going through recruitment you make new friends. Being in a fraternity/sorority you get to participate in social events, dances, intermurals, bonding activities, movie nights, philanthropy events and more. In the dorms everyone leaves their door open and you wander from room to room meeting new people. The R.A's really encourage socialization and plan activities for each floor to do together to get to know each other more.

Everyone "goes greek", frats and drinking, sorority sterotypes about the types of girls in each house

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.