Peoria, IL
Bradley University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bradley University

good size, not too far of a walk to class... fairly cheap apartments/houses for rent. not the best neighborhood, would not walk alone at night ever. Fong is a cool townie, but most townies are scary and creepy... and i have LIVED in peoria for over 10 years. there is not a lot to do around campus... a few restaurants, but all bars besides gorman's are at least 1 mile away... again not exactly safe to walk to and from them. oh and just b/c there were a few alcohol-related deaths on campus does not mean that we are a super party school... bradley parties actually suck unless you make them fun.

unfortunately, there is a sort of segregated feel to bradley... i have black friends but in general you don't see a lot of racial mix... and the indians always keep to themselves. most kids wear casual stuff... very few ppl dress up... sweats are common... t-shirts... almost all kids are from chicago SUBURBS or st. louis.... lots of cubs and cards fans (i'm a sox fan) not a whole lot of politics... in my experience, most people are rather conservative, but i am a super liberal... and there are recycling bins in almost every building that students take to the recycling centers...

lots of ppl at bradley do have money, but ppl go to class in PJ's, they don't wear brand names like gucci or anything. t-shirts and jeans are the norm.

bio classes are hard... chemistry dep't needs better teachers. some classes are mis-labeled... i took soc 300 "Ppl and Cultures of the NonWestern World" and all we talked about were musical styles of tiny underdeveloped villages in Africa.... not what the name leads you to think of... it is competitive... class participation is decent... some professors very helpful... Dr. Craig Cady is the best teacher at Bradley... a total genius, a great teacher, and someone who will sacrifice his time to help you understand anything... personally, i would consider him a friend.

feels pretty safe in the dorms... doors left open if they are there... some ppl don't lock up, i've only heard of one theft incident... campus is small, and the greek system makes the dating scene pretty small... i am a GDI but i've been w/ frat guys and friends with sorority girls, and they all have dated each other... it's kinda gross... parties are OK... get busted fairly often... the bradley police are usually cool, but the task force is a ridiculous waste of tax money... off campus... downtown has bars, dance clubs... there's a nice park (laura bradley park), and when it snows there is a great hill to sled on behind it.

that we are all rich. that is bull, and i hate that b/c i have very little money, my family is not rich at all. i don't have to pay tuition b/c i got the presidential scholarship and IL grants paid for the rest, proving how much money my family does NOT have. we are not all snobs, we are not all catholics, and we are not all comm and business majors.

Kyle

I will not write a paragraph here. I will simply make a list. Please read, and know beforehand- I am not like most of the students at the school. I have a more negative outlook than most, and as a result focus on the aspects of the school that most people overlook. I know many people that LOVE Bradley to the "y," but most of those people are missing the big picture. Take it for what it is worth, but here is my list after 2 years at the school: 1) The scholarship that many students get has a large downside. Mine began by covering a third of my cost of attending Bradley. In the 2 years I have attended, my college bill has gone up about $5000. My $8500 per year scholarship I received (the presidential one) has not increased accordingly by even a dime. Doing the simple math, that makes the award equivalent to a $3000 when I started. That is no longer a third of my cost, but now a mere 1/10th. Good deal, eh? Also, you should grind those admission counselors. I was told by them that it would increase accordingly. 2) The career center the school raves so highly of is only good for Accounting, Engineering, and Sales majors. Anyone else will get no help. The career fair that the school will all but force you to attend has very few jobs for anyone outside those majors. As a finance major, there was one bank there that had anything finance related at the spring career fair. 3) The Library was ranked 2nd worst in the country by the Princeton review. I work there. Its pretty accurate. 4) Most of the clubs the school tries to sell you on are a joke. Very few are worth joining. 5) Working for the school and in talking to some people most people do not get the opportunity to meet, I have seen how much red tape exists at the school. If there is one reason the school is so expensive, it is that. 6) DO NOT take Gen-eds at the school. 70% of classes in that area are no good. 7) DO use ratemyprofessor.com. The site is pretty accurate. IMPORTANT: plan out your first semester before orientation. you will not get a chance to go online while there and use the site. My first semester would have been much smoother had I done that. 8) Buy your books online at amazon or half.com. You will save so much money. And after your first semester there is a good chance you can find students to swap with. 9) Work on campus when you are at school. Most jobs provide you with a way to get paid to do your homework, But you will almost certainly have to know the right person to get in at the job. 10) Bradley is right outside a pretty rough part of Peoria. A student got raped on the new, brightly lit streets earlier this past semester, and a student jogging around campus got shot in the leg, forcing it to be amputated. I see him every day in the business school. It is not a myth, the school simply does not make things such as this public. 11) Frats may provide you fun, but I have seen many of them have their members drop their 3rd and 4th years into school. Why? Because they are not all they are cracked up to be. I went through rush, but did not join. Best decision I could have made. That is all I have right now. There is much more, but I have work in the morning. Please email me if you have any other questions. I will GLADLY tell you the truth.

They're college kids. We are the 7th most politically apathetic campus in America currently. That should give you an idea.

Look at everything else. If I were to start over, I would go to a state school. Bradley's reputation is not worth the extra money you will spend. Also, make sure you do a semester abroad. It is usually cheaper than a semester at Bradley, with the exception of a some of the Larger cities. Again- I think my email will appear on here. Email me with any other questions.

Like everything, there is no simple answer to that question. Contact me if you want to know more.

Come to the school if you plan on being a Communications, Engineering (minus civil- that department is in serious need of a revamp), or an Accounting major. The rest of the majors are pretty awful. I went as a civil engineer, against the advice of many people I knew. I transferred to the Business school 2 months later, as a finance major. It too was a mistake. I know every finance professor and none of them seem to have any valuable real world experience, with the exception of professor Funkhouser. Take him for as many classes as possible. I have been very impressed with the school's accounting program (Finance majors have to take 3 courses in accounting, so I learned how that Major operates.) I would transfer to it, but the field is too detailed for myself. I have no passion for it. I am also too far committed to the finance major to transfer at this point. If you are planning on attending Bradley for Finance, I strongly encourage you to look at state schools. Northern has a program that I have heard is a slight bit better than Bradley's, and it is much less expensive.

Social life is fun as can be. Just do not go to any large parties. The "Task Force" that you will hear much about your first semester is likely to show up and give you a 400-some dollar drinking ticket. I escaped them twice now, which is luckier than most people are.

In light of recent news events (2 students died of alcohol related incidents this year, and a basketball starter received a DUI), one would be that we drink like raging alcoholics. I assure you, it is no worse (in fact, much lighter) than other schools. The deaths were freak and could happen anywhere.

Aaron

Bradley university is like a bounced check. It had a lot of promise, but didn't deliver. The current programs are suffering at the hands of the Bradley expansion plan, which essentially means that Bradley will be really cool, in maybe 3-4 years. For instance, cafeterias have no funding to replace old or damaged equipment, the health services are a joke, the gym was demolished, leaving only one small area in which to exercise, administration is aloof and uncaring of student concerns, there is highly insufficient parking, the student newspaper is laughable at best, the yearbook has shut down, the list goes on. In fact, the only reason I could even think of going to Bradley is the excellent teaching staff (if not equipment), and the dedication these underpaid, overworked individuals show in their day to day lives.

Cares about nothing. What student involvement there is in activist groups or student government is listless at best. Most of the students tend to be upper-middle class white people intent on becoming yuppies.

If you're considering touring Bradley, think about this: the students that show you around the university are paid to do so. Conflict of interest? Maybe. My advice is to find a willing student who's not wearing a name tag and ask them a few questions. You'll get a clearer picture from another angle.

Small classes, which sounds nice, but makes it rather difficult to register for anything until you're a junior. High professor availability, the opportunity for academic competitiveness, and the concern shown by the staff are really the stand-out points of Bradley.

If you don't drink, there's no place for you. If you aren't in greek life, there's no place for you. You'd be better off investing in a deck of cards for solitaire than trying to find something to do on the Bradley campus. In any case, your liver will thank you.

We are apathetic and drink a lot. Also, if you're not part of greek life there is nothing for you to do, ever.

Alex

Bradley was the perfect size for me. A ten minute walk from one side of campus to the other. The only thing I would change about Bradley would be its location. Aside from the campus itself and the old mansions on Moss, the surrounding neighborhood is pretty sketchy. It is in one of the poorer areas of town and students have to be careful if they venture out - especially at night. Peoria is a fairly accommodating "college town" with two malls, plenty of night life at the bars surrounding campus and downtown, and some big influential business located in town. Caterpillar is headquartered downtown and recruits many students from Bradley. If you can't find what you are looking for in Peoria, Bloomington is just 45 minutes away. The biggest recent controversy on campus has to do with underage drinking and over drinking on two occasions which lead to student deaths. I believe the President is trying to enforce some stricter rules in regards to these two instances to prevent the future from repeating the past. Overall, there is a lot of school pride by students, faculty, alum, and the community. We are still the Braves but a new mascot is in the works. Basketball and soccer are the most popular since there is no football team. The most frequent student complaints are probably about parking on campus - there is very little and from my understanding, commuters have a hard time getting spots during the late morning and afternoon. Other than that, books are a complaint because the bookstore is run by Barnes and Noble - and there is a dramatic markup on text books. Don't be surprised if you pay around $500 or $600 per semester. The only upside is that you can sell the books back at the end of the semester - but that doesn't nearly make up for the initial investment. I usually received about $100 to $150 back. One experience I will always remember will be the very fragrant trees located on campus. Students have many different words to describe the scent, but that can be left up to you.

I can address both stereotypes at the same time because both are inaccurate. There is such a great mixture of students and backgrounds (political, religious, cultural, etc.) that it is impossible to say that everyone who going there is a liberal city/suburb kid. It is just not the case.

Two of the best things about Bradley are its class sizes and the student-professor relationship. Usually only the gen-eds (and just some) are found in one of the three lecture halls on campus. These are not the normal classroom settings found at Bradley. Most classes have around 30 students enrolled and the professors are very good about knowing names and having class involvement. Students usually do participate, some of the drier classes (beginning economics, operations management are a couple of examples) are a little more lecture oriented and less student participation. Overall, Bradley is known for its academic excellence. I think Bradley is ranked #6 nationally for academics - that may not be the correct ranking but it is definitely up there. People know about Bradley and it has a very high reputation. Most students - business college and nursing college especially - have jobs lined up before graduation.

The social life is definitely thriving. People tend to party mainly on Thursday through Saturday night. I am not much of a partier myself, so it is possible to have a good time and not get sucked into that scene. As I said earlier, the President is cracking down on some of the campus parties due to underage drinking and past incidents that have lead to tragedy. As far as clubs and organizations go, I wasn't much of a joiner. I tried to make up for it towards the end of my junior year, but some of the organizations - business fraternities and such - and a little pricey. As of now, I am sure that those students that did get involved benefited greatly from it, but I view them as a little overrated. I have never been asked by an employer what activities I was involved in. It has never been the determining factor of landing a job...even though that is what advisors and professors seem to believe. There are all kinds of restaurants to get some dinner, movie theaters are all around, the civic center always has some kind of concert or show, there is usually a baseball game you can catch at the minor league ballpark - Chiefs (a Cubs affiliate) bowling, dance clubs, riverfront activities during the spring, summer, and early fall months. There is always something to do that doesn't have to involve alcohol.

One stereotype that applies not only to Bradley students but college students in general is that they are all liberal. Another stereotype about Bradley students specifically is that they are all from either Chicago or St. Louis.

Claire

I didn't like the cafeiterias when I lived in the dorms. I don't think we have very much school pride at our athletic events either. I also know that a lot of our students don't like the president's new policies.

Most students I know are from the suburbs and from Central Illionois.

I love my major and the professors in the com department.

I met my best friend through my soroity. I didn't meet her on Bid Day but she recognized me when she was someplace and didn't know anybody. I didn't know anyone there either and wasn't having fun, so we left and made friends that way.

Garrett

6,000 or so on a campus where most activities happen within a square mile; keeps everything close and easy to access. Class size is great. Teachers always helpful. Low on school pride, except for basketball games.

Mainly composed of middle class from the suburbs of Chicago and Saint Louis and central Illinois smaller towns. Most everyone is willing to help another student.

Not really. Campus and the surrounding 15 miles of peoria offers more then meets the eye, and definitely enough to keep a student occupied.

Chemistry department has great teaching staff. Expect for lecture, all teachers know your name. GPA is important and competitive for main point of grad school and keeping scholarships. Challenging in engineering classes(Physics, Calculus...) Most classes are well balanced with grading scales to make difficulty less of a factor.

Its a boring school because it is located in Peoria Illinois.

Jordan

Bradley is really, REALLY small. The campus is so small you can walk across in 10 minutes easily. Getting to class is never a problem, but it feels like there's nothing to do, and once Bacci's closes at 3 am, you can't get food anywhere on / near campus. The cafeterias are expensive as shit and they close on the weekend and rarely have food worth eating anyway. Luckily, there's a CVS in Campustown [The parking lot just off campus], so you can No, not CVS. Save-A-Lot. Save-A-Lot has 12-packs of ramen that are like 15 cents each. The ramen always says 2 servings, but that's a lie to make you think it isn't full of carbohydrates and stuff. 1 serving is like 1.5 to 2 ramen packets. School pride is lame and I wish I hadn't gone to such a sports-oriented school [I despise sports] but it was really convenient as its less than an hour from where I live. Also, all the CS lab computers are running Deep Freeze, so you can't modify anything on the hard drive permanently, because Deep Freeze restores the disk every time you restart the computer. This gets really annoying [Always asking me for the same passwords and shit over and over again!], so I recommend bringing a Linux-bootable USB flash drive and just booting that when nobody's looking. The printer I got for college sucked like no other. I won't go into detail, but it's incredibly a piece of shit. Fortunately, like I said earlier, you can walk anywhere on campus in less than 10 minutes, and the library printer is only 8 cents per page, which I think is cheaper than ink for my shitty printer, but I'm not sure. Also, there is partying. Always. Every weekend. I think this is universal, as most colleges make little to no effort to enforce underage drinking policy, but weekends there get extremely lonely when all your friends are: 1. Getting wasted [If you don't drink, these people will hate you anyway] 2. At their frats avoiding their roommates who are getting wasted [I don't think that guy ever liked anyway] 3. Really nice non-drinking people who are cool and you don't mind that they're religious - But they're trying to make out with each other on your couch. Jerks!

Ha, LGBT? Yeah, one of the guys down the hall from me is gay and I think this other guy across the hall might be too. It's pretty awkward but I never hang out with him anyway since he drinks regularly and we don't really share interests. [Like he drinks] Religious... Yeah, we have a chapter of Campus Crusade for Christ and I heard there's a chapter of Campus Crusade for Cthulu too, but I'm not sure if we have an official atheist union / group / club / secret society, so ... I dunno. And if you walk through the student center daily, at some point you will be asked whether you're going to Heaven. I've always wanted to just blurt out, "LOL NO", so if you're planning on doing that, call me ahead of time to video it. There's a Christian frat that's not an official IFCU or whatever, and apparently they have a hammock. There are four tables in the dining hall? O_o? Most students don't care or talk about politics, but it seems like a lot of people like Barack Obama.

IF YOU GO TO BRADLEY AND YOU DON'T DRINK, YOU WILL HAVE NO FRIENDS AND NO SEX! I just felt like saying that. There may be extenuating circumstances in my case though.

Yeah, everybody else is from really big cities.

The CS classes I'm in have gotten really small just in the 2nd semester. My last two classes had like 10 people in them or less. The Gen-ed classes are usually huge, like my Psychology and Western Civ. lectures which had 3 or 4 teachers sharing a lecture hall, taking turns giving lectures. Every Friday was discussion day with your individual teacher. The teacher are all really nice, but this one in the CS department is slightly hard to understand. And he handed out floppy disks. In 2008. I'm sure it will all make sense one day.

Bradley has lots of good sports programs which I all hate and despise because sports is lame. Frisbee is also popular, and I hate that too. The only group I'm actually involved with is the Linux Users Group, which meets every other week to discuss the Linux Operating System. It's a great place for anybody who runs Linux or is interested in switching. Most students close their doors, but I always leave mine open. Athletic events seem to be fairly popular as there are always ... people ... cheering outside my window blahblahblah Bradley blahblahblah whatever. Like I said on multiple occasions, I hate sports. I don't know anything about the dating scene, somehow. If this were more anonymous, I could tell you some bizarre stories, but I won't. It's weird, I've been at Bradley for an entire year and I don't feel like I've made ANY friends. This is because everybody usually falls into one of these categories: 1. Different interests 2. Getting wasted 3. Doing drugs 4. Furthering their relationship all over my couch while we're supposed to be hanging out and they're not even dating anymore. If it's 2 am, I'm in my room, by myself. Actually I spend almost all of my time either in class, in the shower, or in my room, by myself. On weekends I can either do homework with my sober friends, avoid my sober friends, or be in my room by myself. People party every weekend, without fail, and often on Thursdays too. What can I do on a Saturday that doesn't involve drinking? I can sit in my room, by myself, or with two sober people trying to make out. Guess what I usually do. I do nothing off campus, least of all at night, because according to my parents, Peoria is a vile city full of gangs, rapists, muggers, and rape gangs, and I have not the self-motivation to question them. I do spend absurd amounts of time in the CS lab doing nothing in particular though. Interestingly, it seems you're not allowed in there past 11 pm [I have key-code access, so I can get in past hours with no supervision], so I'm not allowed to sleep in there.

Stereotypes? I haven't heard any, but I would say everybody's either from some suburb of Chicago or some suburb of that other big city. I'm not, though. I'm from Bloomington. You know, the suburb of Normal. Where ISU is?

For me, the best thing about Bradley is the overall environment. It is the perfect size for me: not too big, not too small. All of the people I have met have been great, and I have made friends that I know I will have for a lifetime. When I tell people I go to Bradley, they are immediately impressed because of its reputation for being a prestigious school. However, due to events that happened this year (the alcohol related deaths of a few students) I get some questions about the partying and stuff. I always tell them that while Bradley does have alot of parties and drinking, it is not the only thing to do on campus.

The one thing I noticed most was that so many people I met at Bradley were Jewish. I went to an all Catholic high school so I never realized how many Jewish people there were! Bradley is somewhat diverse, but the majority of students are white, middle class. However, a minority would not feel out of place at Bradley at all. I love being able to wear my pajamas to class... and looking around and seeing half of the class dressed the same.

For the most part, the students that attend Bradley are smart. And yes there are alot of parties.

I love the class sizes at Bradley. The biggest class I have taken had about 100 kids in it, and most of my classes are much smaller than that. Being a Nursing major, I have to study alot to keep my grades up, but it kind of depends on your major as to how much studying is required of you. The students in my classes care alot about their grades, so we are all really competitive and comparing GPA's and all that. I feel my education at Bradley will prepare me for a career in Nursing better than most other schools I could have attended.

My freshman year, my floor was not chummy at all. The doors were always closed and I never really got to know anybody on my floor. I always hung out on the floor below mine and got to know all the guys on that floor pretty well. We are very proud of our basketball team and the games have great attendance...they are so fun to go to! Every semester, ACBU brings a big name to campus; this semester we had Jack's Mannequin. In the past, actgs have included Motion City Soundtrack, Black Eyed Peas, and others. Fraternities and Sororities make up about 30% of the student body....and while I am not Greek, every single one of my friends and my boyfriend are and they love it.

The stereotypes that I have heard about Bradley are all good - when I tell people I go to Bradley they are all impressed and say that I must be smart to have gotten into such a good school. Also, people say it is a party school

I enjoy the campus. It's a nice size for the amount of students that go to Bradley. I especially like to find a place on the campus (when it's nice and sunny out) to sit and relax or do homework. Bradley wouldn't be Bradley without its squirrels, either! The campus is not so fun to nagivate around when it's been raining, though...tons of huge puddles everwhere that make it hard NOT to get your feet and pants wet. I do appreciate the fact that Bradley offers options of vegetarians, but if you're vegan options are scant. Geisert cafeteria is the only cafeteria that offers veggie options on a daily basis. There are days, however, when all they have to offer are Boca burgers and noodles...yum? A lot of the times I feel like Boca burgers or mock meats are expected to fufill a meal for a vegetarian or vegan which is not the case at all. Variety is good! How about some variations of pasta dishes or vegetable dishes (not the watery vegetables that come from a can). There are other times when they have plenty of meatless dishes...but they're covered in cheese. Like I said, I do appreciate the fact that there is a veggie friendly cafeteria...I just wish they would incorporate more healthy variety into the meal plan. I also wish the cafeterias would be open all weekend. They're open for brunch...but not dinner. Recently the university started accepting meal plan in the Student Center on Sunday nights, but it costs 6 bucks for less variety than in the cafeteria. And again, if you're vegetarian...it's alright...vegan? side dishes. Campus Town is alright. There's a Save-a-Lot and CVS for anyone who needs to do some grocery shopping. Eating options: Subway, Avanti's, One World (veggie friendly), Starbuck's, Jimmy Johns, and Bellacino's. I like the school and classroom size. They're just right for me. Some people know about Bradley and others haven't heard about it. It's half and half.

Most students wear clothes to class, but there are a couple of people who run around naked... Nah...most people dress comfortably depending on the weather. I read in the school newspaper that Bradley is one of the most politically apathetic colleges. I honestly don't know, though. My roommate claims that she's one of the few Republicans on campus. I don't have a clear view of Bradley's overall political stance. I'm also not aware of other peoples' financial backgrounds. It's just not something that comes up in conversation. Bradley does have some diversity, but there are definitely more diverse colleges out there. I'm not sure of the percentages or anything. Different students do interact with each other. Nobody seems to have a problem overcoming racial, religious, etc. differences.

I don't think any stereotype is accurate. In the case of this specific stereotype, there are haughty people everywhere...at every college.

I'm mostly in Constance, where the music classes are, and the music department faculty are wonderful! My experience so far at Bradley (just finished sophomore year) has taught me that the faculty want students to suceed and want to help them along the way. The music department does a sophomore review which is supposed to help gauge your progress and your plan for the rest of college. It was just another experience that showed me the professors do care how students are doing. I've also had wonderful professors outside of music classes. I haven't had a "bad professor" experience at all.

Men's basketball is huge. I'm more involved with music ensembles, such as symphonic winds, jazz band, and choir. Bradley's music ensembles are all wonderful. Theater is also awesome, and I know a lot of students enjoy the shows the theater students put on. Dorm floors usually have friendly atmospheres. Of course there are problems between a couple of people here and there, but overall everyone gets along. There are plenty of parties. Not much of a partier here...actually I don't party at all. But I always here about them. I haven't brought my car to campus, so I'm not sure about all there is to do in Peoria. There's the Rave movie theater, bowling, and there's a theater in the Student Center. Movies there only cost a dollar. Dingledine always has music concerts going on and the theater is always putting on shows.

I've only heard one stereotype: Bradley students are haughty.

Bradley University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.