Bradley University

« See more reviews of Bradley University

Academics at Bradley are great. Again, because it's a small school most or all of your professors will know your name. My favorite class was probably, painting. I'm an art major but I wasn't required to take it. But the teacher was great and she really gives you personal attention. My least favorite class was Oceanography. For a 300 level class there was WAY too much information to retain for each test and the tests were the only grades in the class. Students study to varying degrees, depending on their major(s). Because I was an art major, I spent my time doing artwork instead of studying. But I had lots of sorority sisters who were nursing, accounting or English majors and they spent a lot of time studying. Class participation is very common, but again it depends on the class and your major. Bradley has high academic requirements for it's students. They expect a lot out of you and that makes you work harder and achieve more. The education at Bradley is definitely geared towards getting a job. They have a great career center and professors are always willing to talk to you about job opportunities in your desired field. Bradley really prides itself on the amount of graduating students who graduate with a job.

Come to the school if you plan on being a Communications, Engineering (minus civil- that department is in serious need of a revamp), or an Accounting major. The rest of the majors are pretty awful. I went as a civil engineer, against the advice of many people I knew. I transferred to the Business school 2 months later, as a finance major. It too was a mistake. I know every finance professor and none of them seem to have any valuable real world experience, with the exception of professor Funkhouser. Take him for as many classes as possible. I have been very impressed with the school's accounting program (Finance majors have to take 3 courses in accounting, so I learned how that Major operates.) I would transfer to it, but the field is too detailed for myself. I have no passion for it. I am also too far committed to the finance major to transfer at this point. If you are planning on attending Bradley for Finance, I strongly encourage you to look at state schools. Northern has a program that I have heard is a slight bit better than Bradley's, and it is much less expensive.

Bradley is extremely well known for its Engineering. A Bradley engineer is really sought after. I roomed with 3 female engineers and each had jobs in the works before the start of 2nd semester. I learned something important in every one of my classes. One I really enjoyed outside my major was Japan:Religion and Culture. The professor is amazing, and he is so interested in student learning. He insisted upon learning all of our names and talking to all of us. He made a class about Japan so interesting. I would have loved to take his trip to China for his Chinese religions class. I studied within the biology department with intent to attend medical school, which I am. My faculty all knew me, regardless of whether I had actually taken a class with them. The Biology faculty are truly interested in student success. My adviser told me when I left that he expected to hear from me. Not only to check in, but also to give him suggestions for improving the curriculum. If that's not interest in student success, I don't know what is.

Yes, professors know my name; favorite would have to be Accounting, but I'm just weird like that. I don't know if I really had a least favorite; everyone I know study all the time, but I never study; class participation is a big part of most of my classes; I'm sure some Bradley students have intellectual conversations; I don't really see much competitiveness between students; I suppose West Civ and Comp, since it was an honors class and year-long; Accounting is the best thing in the world. I don't know much about the department, although I love how they do have the 3-2 thingy to get a Master's; I have met with several of my professors outside of class; I suppose the requirements are standard, nothing too special or hard about the gen eds; I would say Bradley is half and half with learning for a career and learning just to learn. I think Bradley has a good balance.

I am in the Foster business of college studying Business management and administration. I think the classes are fun and there are good teachers. There are also bad teachers at Bradley but hopefully you can stay astray from them while attending Bradley. I have noticed from a number of professors that they really care about how well you do and understand their class, they will help you out of class if you have a problem. Bradley also offers free tutoring for almost every subject. I have noticed that many of the classes are getting hard at Bradley but you can expect that of any university at the higher level of classes. I have noticed that their are some classes you can take as gen ed's to get your gpa high. Ete 115 and ART 131 are the two easiest classes I think Bradley offers.

Bradley has really good academics with each major focused toward giving students an advantage to a good job or enter Graduate school. The curriculum tries to build well rounded students and has requirements that will actually help you in the future instead of classeswith information you won't use. Almost all teachers take the time to get to know their students and required advising sessions and teacher office hours help keep you on track. Study Abroad is amazing and because Bradley is private, it allows them to provide more funding scholarships and opportunities for students to study abroad. It is not much more to study in Europe for a semester, or a few weeks then it would be to study here.

Every single professor I have had has known my name. Even professors that teach in lecture halls. I will probably keep fairly close contact with some of my professors after I graduate. Depending on the classroom and the course, most students participate in classroom discussion. And after class, nearly all students can talk with one another. Most of my classes require a good amount of studying to maintain good grades. In all honesty I would say I havent had to study for one or two classes. All students are very competitive and any way you can set yourself apart is helpful.

As a journalism major, I had some problems with my curriculum because it (and other majors in the department) is technically a communications major with a concentration in journalism (or related field). That meant I took a lot of classes that weren't necessarily specific to journalism, which at time felt like a wast of time. Because class sizes were so small (especially classes in my major) most of my professors knew me by name, which was nice. I did not "study" that much, but I did have to work on a lot of projects, papers and story assignments outside of class.

My favorite class by far was british writers. It was in the afternoon so I could get a nap in before class. The teacher was very entertaining and above all the sotries that we were required to read were of a variety that made reading them not so bad. A lot of people don't know how to study coming into college, so to start off the year I don't think there is too much studying going on. But by the end of the semester on second semester I saw a change in people to start studying more. The library was quite the hotspot during that period of a crunch time.

Class size is like high school, only some classes are large. Once you get into higher level classes, class size gets smaller. Because class is smaller, some professors have attendance as part of grade which most big schools do not even care if you do not show up. Professors are nice and most are good, not all. Biology department is pretty good. So is history. Hear math and physics department is terrible though. Students in your major start to become competitive, at least for science majors, during sophomore year.