Bradley University

« See more reviews of Bradley University

Greek life, Residential life staff and athletes are what you hear the most about. Greeks make up about 30% of the campus, res life are very involved with one another and so are the athletes. Even though they may be involved in these organizations most students are involved in a variety of organizations on campus and become involved with students that are not in those organizations. Depending on the personalities of people on a floor, most people leave their doors open. The campus really tries to get students involved on campus and with each other. At the beginning of the year there is even a competition for who leaves their doors open the most with a chance to win gift cards and other things. I met my closest friends on my floor on move in day and from my sorority. Rushing a Greek house is a very good opportunity to meet people in a house or those rushing with you. Basketball games, soccer game are very popular and every so often there will be a concert on campus or a play in the theater. Parties happen usually on the weekends and sometimes random weeknights. Usually major ones are off campus ,at a fraternity house and sometimes the dorms. In the dorms most people have get togethers and major ones are sponsored by the dorm itself like the all hall ball. At two in the morning depending on what time of the year it is people could be out, or just coming in, walking around campus, in the library or off campus. Off campus you can go dancing, go down town, shopping at the two malls, eat explore peoria, ride the ferry and much more. Last weekend a few of my friends and I ate at a restaurant by the river front, took random pictures and walked around downtown. There are lots of things you can do that don't involve drinking both on and off campus all you need to do is look. On campus we have late night BU and sometimes there will be movies playing in the theater or other events going on.

The most popular groups on campus are definitely the sororities/fraternities and the Christian/religious groups. I'm involved in a social sorority on campus and I love it. It gives you the opportunity to meet a ton of great people that you wouldn't necessarily meet on campus otherwise. Also, it gives you the opportunity to participate in various local, national philanthropies and volunteer-ism. Bradley basketball games are the most popular sporting events and then soccer would come in second in popularity. There are a lot of good guest speakers that come each year on various topics. But every week during the year there is an artist/art related speaker sponsored by the art department. Also, every year there is one big rock concert, which is really popular. Last year we had Jack's Mannequin, which was awesome. There are a lot of theater productions during the year and they really try to get freshman involved, even if you're a first time actor. There really isn't a dating scene because the size of the school is so small. There really isn't an opportunity to meet new people to date unless you go to the bars around campus. My closest friends are my sorority sisters and although it's corny; some of them will probably be my bridesmaids. If you are awake at 2AM on a Tuesday, you are probably at Wal-Mart, which is open 24 hours. We have a week-long Homecoming celebration each year and most of our events revolve around our basketball and soccer teams. People party a lot, especially if you are in a sorority/fraternity. There isn't a lot that happens on the weekdays, but our weekends start on Thursday night and don't end till Sunday morning. Last weekend I went out to the bars with my friends and had a few drinks. If you don't drink, there's always movies on and off campus, bowling, studying, etc. Off campus there's mostly just bars, restaurants and 2 malls.

Get involved on campus many groups are fun, the ones ive heard of are: ACBU- they are in charge of what entertainment comes to campus, if you want to get a particular type of band or comedian, get involved and get some good acts at campus, this year Jack's mannequin and several funny comedians came to campus. Habitat for Humanity- they build houses as charity, many construction/engineers join this. C.E.O- a business group which is FREE, they have small business on campus to make a profit, and work with you to enter business plan competitions in which you can win a lot of money, they also take you to Chicago McCormick place for the annual CEO conference where you stay in a 5star hotel for two nights and talk to successful CEO's and its all paid for by the school! Phi Chi Theta/ your majors' honers fraternity. They are helpful for finding a job Greek life- its award winning and I highly suggest it. Most events are off campus so be careful as Peoria is a bad area, parties will either be at a fraternity house or an off campus house. Parties are fun but usually they are not huge like in some movies (bradley student size is small) For people over 21 (bars do card hard) their are many bars students go to that are loads of drunken fun. If going to bars get a DD or cab, Bradley doesn't offer a ride system. Many people get tired of the dorm life and move off campus, their are nice university owned apartments and many off campus student housing available your junior year, unless you go Greek and move out of dorms sooner.

I don't know, probably the Greek life; I'm not involved in any groups; probably about a third do. Mine is always open; I know quite a few people who go to all the athletic events, I've never heard of anyone listening to a guest speaker, and a lot of people go see the plays; I am not one to talk about the dating scene; One was my roommate for a few months, one was my neighbor freshman year, and one was in my West Civ and Comp class; watching TV, hanging out with one of my close friends, or outside smoking by myself; I've only been here one year, so I don't really know; well I have a few friends who party probably every day of the week, I have a few friends who only party on the weekends, and I have a few friends (including myself) who never or rarely party; a lot of people are involved in the Greek life, but my friends and myself are not into that; I got this over summer break, so I doubt its relevant; I usually hang out with my other friends that don't drink; I tend to stay on campus, cities scare me.

Bradley's social scene mostly revolves around the Greek system. 1 in 3 students on campus is part of it, but that doesn't mean you need to go Greek to make friends. I chose not to join a house, and ended up having plenty of fun on campus. I was never into drinking, which meant I had to find other things to do. Just recently, Bradley's president presented a new Alcohol plan, which will provide things for students to do other than drinking. On the weekends, you can see a movie for a $1, those are fun. During the winter months, Bradley men's Basketball is king. If you like basketball, Bradley's the place to be. 2 years ago they went to the NCAA sweet sixteen. Last year they played in the NIT and this year in the CBI, making it to the championship series. If you like soccer, these games are awesome. Our soccer team made it to the Elite Eight this year. If you love sports, Bradley will help you out!

$1 movies are amazing. Leaving your dorm door open is not odd at all. People walked into the room my freshman year which was uncomforting for the first five minutes but I definitly now can see how much I appreciate it. Nerf Commandos is pretty crazy but none the less awesome. 2am on a tuesday I was up playing video games with the people on my floor. I'm not a drinker. I think drinking limits what you can do on a saturday, because while you're hiding from the cops because you're intoxicated, I'm out enjoying myself. Again $1 movis rock. Going out bowling is always fun. Ghost in the graveyard with about 15 other people when its dark out (provided you have boundaries) is unbeatable. You can play beer pong without alchol. Apples to Apples is great with people you don't really know because its fun. Video games are undisputed fun whether you say you like them or not.

I was involved with the student newspaper, so I made most of my friends through that and through my freshman dorm. I think a lot of the people stay friends with the people they live on the same floor as as freshman. Parties go on almost every night from Thursday through Saturday, but the school cracked down the last two years on parties hosted by fraternities. It seems like if you're not in a frat or sorority, you have to know somebody who is to get into a good party. But there are still lots of good off-campus parties to go to. Organizations bring in a lot of guest speakers, but not many are well attended, except for the Robison Lectures hosted by the Communications Department. Basketball games are by far the biggest events on campus. The biggest games of the year will have close to 1,500 students in attendance. I'd say about 1,000 go on average.

I am in APO or Alpha Phi Omega, which is a co-ed service fraternity. We participate in and hold many service events every semester, but we also hold leadership events and several friendship events every semester. One example of this is an IDP, or Instant Date Party. Everyone in APO is invited to go somewhere after chapter for free and they can bring a date. You don't know it's going to happen until chapter is over and it is announced. If I'm up at 2 am on a weeknight, I'm usually studying. Or talking to my friends who are also up "studying".

By far, the most popular organizations on campus are greek. Our school is very greek, from the parties to philanthropies on campus. However, just because you're not greek doesn't mean you can't have fun. I wasn't greek my entire freshman year, and did just fine. One thing that is nice about bradley: I wasn't a drinker until I turned 21, and got next to no pressure to do so. People in general are very accepting of one another, and supportive.

There are some active fraternities and sororities at Bradley that all contribute to society in one way or another. Many of my friends are fraternity members and there seems to be no grudges between them. I spend much of my time at home being a commuting student, but I will occasionally spend time with my friends from Bradley outside of class. We have gone to bars, out to eat, played paintball, hit the driving range and more.