Bradley University

« See more reviews of Bradley University

Getting killed by the Illinois police.

Bradley has lots of good sports programs which I all hate and despise because sports is lame. Frisbee is also popular, and I hate that too. The only group I'm actually involved with is the Linux Users Group, which meets every other week to discuss the Linux Operating System. It's a great place for anybody who runs Linux or is interested in switching. Most students close their doors, but I always leave mine open. Athletic events seem to be fairly popular as there are always ... people ... cheering outside my window blahblahblah Bradley blahblahblah whatever. Like I said on multiple occasions, I hate sports. I don't know anything about the dating scene, somehow. If this were more anonymous, I could tell you some bizarre stories, but I won't. It's weird, I've been at Bradley for an entire year and I don't feel like I've made ANY friends. This is because everybody usually falls into one of these categories: 1. Different interests 2. Getting wasted 3. Doing drugs 4. Furthering their relationship all over my couch while we're supposed to be hanging out and they're not even dating anymore. If it's 2 am, I'm in my room, by myself. Actually I spend almost all of my time either in class, in the shower, or in my room, by myself. On weekends I can either do homework with my sober friends, avoid my sober friends, or be in my room by myself. People party every weekend, without fail, and often on Thursdays too. What can I do on a Saturday that doesn't involve drinking? I can sit in my room, by myself, or with two sober people trying to make out. Guess what I usually do. I do nothing off campus, least of all at night, because according to my parents, Peoria is a vile city full of gangs, rapists, muggers, and rape gangs, and I have not the self-motivation to question them. I do spend absurd amounts of time in the CS lab doing nothing in particular though. Interestingly, it seems you're not allowed in there past 11 pm [I have key-code access, so I can get in past hours with no supervision], so I'm not allowed to sleep in there.

Bradley has a million different groups/clubs/organizations, I really think there is something for everyone. Bradley is a Basketball school. Mens Basketball is what draws alot of attention to the school in the first place. Also Mens soccer in the fall is popular. Sadly, we do not have a football team. Living in the dorms at Bradley was a great time. Dorms alternate guy/girl by floor, and it's the best. Generally people prop their doors open with bricks when they're home and not busy, it's just a fun atmosphere. Greek life is a HUGE part of the university. Bradley has a total of 7 sororities and 15 fraternities. Joining my sorority is how i met some of my closest friends at school. I would say that the majority of the partying does happen, but is not limited to, the fraternities. You can usually walk in to one and find something going on. Although the dorms are dry, there have been quiet a few parties in select rooms. Also like I mentioned earlier, downtown is a great place to go to the bars, or farmington road as well. People party all days of the week. It just depends on what their schedule allows. And of course thrusday, fridays and saturdays are the big days for drinking. Recently there are things that Bradley has come up with as an alternative for drinking of the weekends. They offer new movies for a dollar in the theatre and I believe they are starting a late night club, alcohol free of course.

The social life is definitely thriving. People tend to party mainly on Thursday through Saturday night. I am not much of a partier myself, so it is possible to have a good time and not get sucked into that scene. As I said earlier, the President is cracking down on some of the campus parties due to underage drinking and past incidents that have lead to tragedy. As far as clubs and organizations go, I wasn't much of a joiner. I tried to make up for it towards the end of my junior year, but some of the organizations - business fraternities and such - and a little pricey. As of now, I am sure that those students that did get involved benefited greatly from it, but I view them as a little overrated. I have never been asked by an employer what activities I was involved in. It has never been the determining factor of landing a job...even though that is what advisors and professors seem to believe. There are all kinds of restaurants to get some dinner, movie theaters are all around, the civic center always has some kind of concert or show, there is usually a baseball game you can catch at the minor league ballpark - Chiefs (a Cubs affiliate) bowling, dance clubs, riverfront activities during the spring, summer, and early fall months. There is always something to do that doesn't have to involve alcohol.

If you don't go greek, especially if you're a guy, finding a social life can be kind of hard. The majority of the parties on the weekends are hosted by fraternities, so if you're a girl you can still find things to do but if you're a guy you're pretty much s.o.l. I'm in a sorority and I love it, and I was always friends with the guys before this, so they're definitely not like most people think they are. Any of our sororities are really great. The dating scene is good, but Bradley is small so it can seem like finding new people is hard after a semester. There's a party or somewhere to party any night of the week, but like any campus thursdays-saturdays are the best nights. Bradley has a great orientation program, that's where I met my closest friends. It's a few days long and really gives you the chance to meet kids. I met alot of people through rush and greek life, but you meet alot of people just hanging out in the dorms. The social life and activities are definitely my favorite part about bradley.

Greek life is very active on campus. The actual percentage of Greek students is 30%, but it seems like more. However, it is not such a large percentage of students that non-Greek students feel left out. The Greek community socializes with other people and do not generally discriminate. Of course, they hold parties on the weekends that are popular, but by no means does everyone on campus drink. You can always find a group of people who have the same interests as yourself to hang out with. Bradley also has over 240 other student organizations. There are a wide variety of organizations, so there is always something for everyone. Also, it is very easy for a group of students to start a new club. The basketball team is the pride and glory of Bradley. The student section is called "The Red Sea" and it is full of rowdy students every single game. The soccer team is also pretty good and gets a lot of students excited. There are also lots of intramural sports to get involved in.

If you live in the dorms, most students do leave their doors open. I can remember many a movie nights that started just because someone walked into someone else's room and said "Hey do you wanna watch a movie?". Athletic events can be popular if they are basketball or soccer. But it all depends on what kind of sports you like. We have all kinds, and if there isn't a team, we have intramurals where you can be on a team that doesn't play nationally. People tend to party Thursday - Saturday so that they can study on Study. But if there is a special at the bar, you can bet that people will be there. Fraternities more than sororities seem to throw the best parties, but sometimes it is better to just start your own party. If you want to get off campus and like to dance, you can go to Stone Country in Bartonville. It is mainly line dancing, but on Friday nights, they have a DJ that spins so it is not only country music that is played - & it's a blast!

Men's basketball is huge. I'm more involved with music ensembles, such as symphonic winds, jazz band, and choir. Bradley's music ensembles are all wonderful. Theater is also awesome, and I know a lot of students enjoy the shows the theater students put on. Dorm floors usually have friendly atmospheres. Of course there are problems between a couple of people here and there, but overall everyone gets along. There are plenty of parties. Not much of a partier here...actually I don't party at all. But I always here about them. I haven't brought my car to campus, so I'm not sure about all there is to do in Peoria. There's the Rave movie theater, bowling, and there's a theater in the Student Center. Movies there only cost a dollar. Dingledine always has music concerts going on and the theater is always putting on shows.

About 5 years ago Bradley University had a great social life with something fun to do everynight that ranked among the best party schools in the midwest, but times have drastically changed. Now adays people are scared to party because there is a newly enforced comprehensive alcohol plan that charges $450 for a drinking ticket with the possiblity of suspension and eviction from fraternity houses. The biggest downer of the social life is the "Task Force." The task force is a group of undercover state police that come to our parties to write underage people expensive tickets for consumption of alcohol. I truly believe with these new rules the social aspect of BU will totally be destroyed and enrollment with severly be affected.

GREEK! Go greek its really fun. Im also in an organization called Fellows where you get a scholarship for four years to volunteer and attend weekly meetings. Thats really fun too. There's a million things and groups to join on campus. You can pretty much find a party any night of the week except when task force is out. They're this annoying group of cops who come and bust parties but everyone knows when they're coming so its no big deal. There's not a lot off campus if you dont have a car and it gets expensive driving around but on campus theres a lot. They have a movie theater and different events. Next year they'll have more stuff since they are trying to curb drinking.