Bradley University

« See more reviews of Bradley University

In looking for a college it is necessary to first identify the proximity of which you wish to reside away from your home. If you get really home sick than you might want to consider a school within 50 miles of your house and possibly living at home while taking classes for the first semester, just until you get aclamated. Following your decision on the general proximity of the school, one should consider both the academic standards of the school and the general school size. In most cases, both student and parent want a school that holds itself to high academic standards, size on the other hand is mainly attributed to that with which the student would be comfortable. Some students are very comfortable in large group situations and therefore would prefer a larger school, whereas others are much more apt to prefer small group settings, wtih individual student-teacher time, these students would be more likely to preside within a smaller school. Beyond these few criteria, the last of the significant aspects of any college would be the availability of financial aid and the over all social scene which must be evaluated on an individual student to student basis.

Seek out the knowledge of your professors and advisors. The faculty and staff are there to help you -- they are readily available and eager to do so. You will benefit in the immediate, but also in the future; and you will experience these benefits in both your personal and academic life. In terms of academics, making a 4-year course plan is key, and knowing your academic goal is incredibly important. The chances of timely success in obtaining your academic goals will increase tenfold if you seek the advice of the ones who have gone before you. In terms of your personal life, your professors can serve as mentors while you are in college, but possibly even more important is the networking that will happen naturally as you develop relationships with your professors. You will likely look back someday, perhaps after landing your first "real" job at the company your professor referred you to years ago, and realize how thankful you are that you knew that professor! You will be amazed at the incredible source of information that is accessible to you, waiting right at your fingertips if you will simply take the step to seek it out.

It helped me grow not only academically, but also socially. Bradley itself offers many opportunities to expresss yourself through many different groups. There is a gaming gruop that would meet and play computer games together, a water polo club for those who still want to participate. You name it, they have a club, or you can form a club. The numerous opportunities allow someone to really try something out, or continue participating, as well as really allows you to express yourself. What I also love about Bradley is that it really prepares you for life after Bradely. They have a career center that constantly sends you opportunities, as well as teachers that are more than willing to write you a recommendation. On that note, the class sizes are almost always small enough that the teacher really gets to know you as a person. This means finding a teacher to write a recommendation is very easy, as well as the teachers are more than willing to really help you succeed in their class. All together Bradley University allowed me to really find myself as a student and a person, and I would not trade my experience for the world.

My name is Daniel Shore and as a senior with 20/20 hindsight I'd like to provide a few suggestions for choosing a college where you can ensure you will have a prosperous four years: 1) look at the program or department you're interested in studying. Academics is the primary reason to go on to, and pay for, a higher education. 2) Look at opportunities for practical experience. 3) This step requires visitng campuses--a very important/highly recommended part of the process--and that is to take note of that intuitive feel from your campus visit. Did the campus "feel" right. Yeah, it's not the most convincing argument, but that personal instinct goes along way. You have to feel comfortable to happily spend four years somewhere. Using myself as an example, my major is Radio/TV and thus, I chose a school with a strong TV broadcasting program, plenty of internship opportunities in a strong media market, and on my visit the people were friendly, helpful, and easy to talk to. Remember: students have the ability to make the most of their college experience no matter where they are at. Good Luck with your college search!!

My resume begins with my name and the name of the university I attended. The intent is that employers would look here and make their first judgment of me as college educated. Never during my interviews have I been asked to prove that I have retained any of the information so laboriously attained during those four years. In fact, the conversation has never dwelled for more than a few minutes on the subject of college academics. Yet without that heading, I would not even be given an audience. I believe this is because college functions not only as a purveyor of information, but most importantly as a powerful shaping, enhancing, and maturing experience. It is similar to a military boot-camp. In both places, attendees are taught not only practical skills, but vital characteristics and mindsets necessary for success. When an employer looks at the top of my resume, they assume that I am disciplined, hard working, a problem solver, and that I persevere. Though I was paying for academics, the true value of my college experience came from the less tangible lessons that are implied in the first lines of my resume.

My advice is first, that they get an idea what they want to do with that major when they graduate. I am the first of my family to attend college so I asked my teacher for guidance. Second, a great career center, the job placement rate is important, the resources available for students with interview or resume building skills. Finally, 'the right' college should be a place the student feels comfortable. I thought what I wanted was a big school but in the end I chose a medium sized school! Making the best of college is simple. Don't let people influence your goals. In high school I was an achiever and when I went to high school people told me "It's okay if you don't do that great your first year," that comment made it seem I could just take things slowly instead of becoming more involved and working harder in school. The next thing is to manage your time very efficiently. Bradley has over 240 organizations, so get involved, it will make the college experience amazing! School is about academics but it is also about meeting new people, building networks and having an amazing time.

College isn't easy! Picking the right university is a decision that will affect you for the next four years as well as your whole life! College is about academics of course, but it also teaches you social skills, and how to succeed in your future. You will meet friends you will have forever, build relationships with faculty that will teach you to believe in yourself and learn who you truly are! I first came to Bradley University in 1998, I failed out in 1999 after my Mom passed away from cancer. I returned again in 2002 and failed out again. I was petrified to return in 2007, in fear of recreating my past, but this time was different! I chose to focus on getting involved and getting to know my professors and classmates. My sorority sisters kept me motivated and taught me to be successful! My professors worked one on one with me when I needed help! I got involved and it TRULY made a difference! I graduated on December 19, 2009 with a 3.55/4.0 GPA and 100% believe I would not have been successful without the welcoming of the students and faculty at Bradley University!

Hey ‘Self,’ My college transition was bumpy, so I’m stepping back in time to help you help me. 1. You're wasting time sleeping 8 hours. Spend more time mastering those budget and comparison shopping concepts, so I'll know how to stretch this $10/wk. 2. Wow! You scheduled me for an 8 am class; MATH! …REALLY? 3. NEWSFLASH! You may not be the smartest one in the room. Accept it now, so I'm not shocked when Josh shuffles in class late with his wrinkled shorts and t-shirt and rattles off the chemistry formula we just learned 10 minutes before he came. 4. Read that syllabus! Put those assignments and tests in your planner. At dinner, Stacy asked, “How’s your paper coming?” My response: “Aahhh paper?” Now, my 2-hr social dinner is a fast food snatch-n-grab. I'm up all night looking for the syllabus (at the bottom of my sock drawer), then scrambling to beat the 9 am deadline. 5. KUDOS on the laundry, though! Meanwhile, Tim (6’2” and 247 lbs.) needs help. The shirts that weren’t pink, now fit his 6 year old brother. Sincerely, Your Future You

Young lady, I've seen your future and although it is not all bad, a few differences in your choices going from this point forward will make a major difference in the life you are certainly capable of achieving. But only if you trust and believe what I'm going to tell you. This is me, or should I say you at 41 years old. We're working at a global manufacturing company in IT. So we are on schedule with our career goals, but a few changes in the choices you make in college need to be reconcidered in order to make the road to that choice, just a little bit easier. First of all, you must make a plan for your college life and stick to it. That plan should entail a study schedule that doesn't falter, no matter how grand the party may be. When you have questions or concerns regarding your classes, do not hesitate to seek guidance from your professor, they are there to assist you whenever you need them. The bottom line, GREAT grades allow you to write your ticket to any social or professional venue, so make studying your first priority!

When you begin your college search, it is key that you do your research on the college. For example, find out the location, its ranking, and what other people say about the school. Also make sure that you actually take time out to visit the college. Make sure you like it enough to the point where you can see yourself being there for the next 4 years. You will learn that food is everything so, ask about the quality of the food. Because, eventually you will get sick of eating Ramen Noddles! Also make sure that you will recieve the same financial package for the following year. Here's a hint, college is what you make it. So, get involved!! That way you make friends, create a social life, and will have something to do on your free time. Joining study groups is also a great way of meeting people from your classes. They are a plus because you are able to study with others. But don't let your social life effect your grades. You will have to learn how to balance you social life with your studies. That is a great skill to master.