Bradley University Top Questions

Maribel

Upon experiencing my first semester of college, I advice the high school senior me the following two things. The first thing is to read your textbooks before going to class and making this a regular study habit so that when you go to college, you are familiar with the process. You will be more prepared for your lectures and better understand the material because it seems like time goes by extremly fast during college and you do not want to fall behind. The second thing I advice myself is to take advantage of your sleeping hours and not stay up late just for fun. The work load in college can be overwhelming and you have to stay up late to finish your assignments or study. There will be nights when you sleep for five hours or even less because you have many things to get done and have to wake up early in the morning for class the next day. Appreciate the hours available for you to sleep and give your body adequate rest.

Kailyn

Hey ‘Self,’ My college transition was bumpy, so I’m stepping back in time to help you help me. 1. You're wasting time sleeping 8 hours. Spend more time mastering those budget and comparison shopping concepts, so I'll know how to stretch this $10/wk. 2. Wow! You scheduled me for an 8 am class; MATH! …REALLY? 3. NEWSFLASH! You may not be the smartest one in the room. Accept it now, so I'm not shocked when Josh shuffles in class late with his wrinkled shorts and t-shirt and rattles off the chemistry formula we just learned 10 minutes before he came. 4. Read that syllabus! Put those assignments and tests in your planner. At dinner, Stacy asked, “How’s your paper coming?” My response: “Aahhh paper?” Now, my 2-hr social dinner is a fast food snatch-n-grab. I'm up all night looking for the syllabus (at the bottom of my sock drawer), then scrambling to beat the 9 am deadline. 5. KUDOS on the laundry, though! Meanwhile, Tim (6’2” and 247 lbs.) needs help. The shirts that weren’t pink, now fit his 6 year old brother. Sincerely, Your Future You

Don't be afraid to make big moves. If your heart is telling you to go out of your way and do something for someone or for yourself, then do it. You'll regret not doing it later if you hold back. Make the time spent count and live for today. The future is far away, and whether it be grim or delightful, you have make today amazing first. Find something that makes you happy and keep that close to you at all times, because you will need it, especially on days when you feel that you just can't go on. That very thing can remind you why it is you keep moving forward. If nothing else, just remember to smile.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self, I'd constantly remind myself that college is no joke. College is much harder than high school, and I'd need to work twice as hard. I'd tell my senior self that it is okay to not know what you want do in ten years. You will have two years to figure it out. However, never forget that your GPA is one of the most important things you need to concentrate on keeping up. It will determine your future, and can drop more easily than it is to bring up. While school is really important, I'd tell myself to enjoy the social life. Don't hesitate in joining that sorority because it will teach you time mangement. learning time mangement early will help you in the rest of your collehe career. I'd tell myself to make sure to find friends with similar majors or friends that you can study with and count on for help if needed. I would tell my senior self that first impressions will stick with you no matter what they are or what you do after; so becareful with your actions.

I would remind myself to enjoy every little moment of high school that I have left because even though I thought senior year went by fast, freshman year of college was gone in the blink of an eye. I would also tell myself to treasure each day I have with my family in summer because when I am struggling through a bad day I can always turn to them to keep me going. I would let myself know that I made the best choice to attend Bradley University and going into the nursing program. And if I could back, I would tell my senior year self to stop counting down the days until graduation because in college I will be savoring every last minute I have left here. Since time travel is not invented yet, I can only tell my present self these things and remind myself each day of how grateful I am to get the opportunity to fulfill my future dreams of becoming a nurse.

Emilie

I would tell myself to spend more time with my family. I spent my summer after high school trying to see all of my friends, and looking back 2 years later I only talk to the ones I would have been close with regardless of seeing them so much. I would tell myself to spend more time with my grandparents, because I am no longer home when they come to visit my family. I would save up more money and work in the summer, because you never know when you will want a little extra cash to go shopping or buy groceries. Lastly, I would tell myself not to worry so much about my college experience and trying to fit in, through my experiences so far I have found that it is extremely easy to meet new people and make new friends at college, and being yourself is the best way to meet these new people.

Kopano

I went to an all-girls high school in Pretoria, South Africa where we wore lime-green dresses that fit poorly. The biggest achievement that one could attain at such a school was to become a prefect. I failed to do so. In hindsight, that does not matter. None of all the things I thought mattered at that time in my life, ever really did. My message to my high school senior self would simply be this: it's all gonna be ok. It all works out. It does not matter that you are not a prefect or the smartest or the cutest or the fastest or the sexiest on Civvies Days (when we could wear home clothes). It does not matter that you do not have a driving licence yet or a car, or numerous achievement awards or five (or more) best friends or even a boyfriend at the all-boys school down the road. You are still pretty awesome and loved beyond measure. One day you will believe it. Hang in there.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell her to never give up on her dream, and never quit applying for scholarships, never stop trying to do her best, never stop trying to succeed. I would tell her she is destined for greatness and when she really puts her mind to something nothing can stop. I would tell her to be phenomenal or be forogtten. I would remind her that history remembers those who tried, not those who said "what if". To work harder than hard, to endure what life through at her and not runaway everytime, I would also tell to fight and stand up for what she believes in even when shes standing alone.

I would tell myself to have faith in my own abilities. That no matter how afraid you are of being on your own that college breeds that space for you to grow. I would also tell myself to make the most of it. It will be over before you know it so don't waste time worrying about petty drama. Love your school, love your friends, and most of all do what you love, because that is the only thing thar will make this whole experience worthwhile.

You know what you want to do--you've wanted to do it since you were twelve. You've wanted to save lives, make differences in them, touch peoples' hearts with your own. You can do all of that once you put your mind to it. You were born with ideas, drive, persistence, vigor. It is in your last name, coursing through your veins, filling your bones, writing in your ribcage, roaring in your head. Don't get in your own way by doubting yourself and overwhelming yourself. Plan wisely. Weigh both the advantages and disadvantages before plunging into something you may regret. Once you plan, implement, and understand most of all that in the end you are the commander of your future. I believe in you.

You need to spend more time exploring your interests. There are a lot of scholarship opportunities available that you qualify for, and this will help you later in life. Don't take out a student loan unless you absolutely need it. Take some of the assignments you receive more seriously, these assignments will help you later in life. Spend more time reading the material, and don't worry so much about completing the assignment in relation to a grade. Focus on absorbing information because you love learning, and grades aren't as important as understanding the material.

Jirmiah

Make sure that you don't fall into the college delimma of going out and partying every weekend just like everyone else does. Keep yourself busy with club activities and search for loads of scholarships. Personally just stay focused and complete assignments ahead of time. Stay very organized with deadlines. Look for an off campus job to help make extra cash for saving. Make sure that you stay you no matter what and stand up for what you believe in and dont let anyone tell you any different.

Jasmin

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as I high school senior I would tell myself to stay focused and work hard from the start. Don't wait until I have problems in a class to receive help, get help and talk to the teacher or see tutors from the beginning so that no problems will arise in the class.

Hayley

College is a great experience and there is nothing to be nervous about!

I would make myself study a lot more. High school classes and the classes that you take in college are completely different. You actually have to study and know all of the material in order to get a decent grade in the class. I can say now that the library is where I am most of the time! I would also tell myself to be more spontanious and get more involved in the groups that were offered.

If I could go back, I would encourage myself to have pride and belief in myself. After leaving school to support a family, I felt regret every day. I left with frustration in my heart about my time at my first university because I felt as though I had no real worth. Since leaving my first university, I have gotten married, held a steady job, bought a house, and had a son. I did these things without a degree, which proves that it is what's inside you that is MOST important in life. As I face the future with my family, I know that the only way to achieve my dreams is to finish my degree. I have been a teacher's aide in my local middle school for 4 years, and I have rediscovered my passion for teaching. Had I had more pride and a stronger belief in myself the first time I attend college, I would be persuing my master's degree by now and solidifying my place in the education community. I am dedicated to the education of young people, and I know that my 1-year-old son, Jensen, will benefit from my example.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience. I hated my High School years because my school wasn't that great and thought college was going to be pretty much the same thing. Once I started college for the first time, I loved it so much I didn't miss a day of class. The teachers I had taught me about real responsibility. One teacher taught me that we had to be at least 15 minutes early to everything. She set her clock 15 minutes fast in order for us to follow that rule. Also, that you need to dress professionally and how to break bad habbits such as gum chewing. I love college.

I found that my most valuable experiences thus far have been during my time spent at Bradley University. I completed my first two years of college at a community college, then afterwards chose Bradley as my transfer institution to earn my bachelor degree. It's amazing to see the differences between community colleges and universities; they're two completely different worlds. Although I did enjoy my time in community college, nothing compares to my experiences at Bradley. What is most fun about this is that I'm not done yet and am anticipating more great things to come this year.

Brandi

Everyone wants to know what you have gotten out of the college experience. Personally I have gotten a lot more than I expected. For one, I have learned a great deal of responsibility. Whenever something went wrong while I was at school, or I needed to get work done on time for my classes my mom was not there for me like she had been before. I had to step up and do what I needed to accomplish the goals I had set. Another important thing I have gotten out of the college experience was being able to me people from all over the world. For example, not only have I met people from across the United States but I have also met people from Africa , India, and other places as well. It has been valuable to attend because I have learned things that I might not have otherwise learned, and it helped me get rid of the sterotypes of certain things and people that I have grown up with.

Nothing in life will ever prepare someone for college. It is truly something you have to live through to understand the significance. I have received the finest, yet, most difficult education in College. I have been able to meet numerous peers and get involved in activities that I care about. I determined numerous study habits, what time I can actually wake up for class, which professors give out extra credit, and which classes I need to go to. I learned more about myself in these past four months than I have in my eighteen years of life. College is not for the weak hearted. It takes dedication and discipline, but it is also one of the greatest experiences of my life. I am surrounded by people of my age, going through the same exact thing as me; I will never have this experience again in my life. Without college, I would have never become the person I am today, which is the most valuable aspect of college. Being at Bradley for four months has shaped and molded me into someone I am proud to call a BU Brave.

My college experience has afforded me the opportunity to pursue an exciting future. I have grown more throughout being in university than I ever could have imagined. I am now more focused, motivated, and productive. I am genuinely excited to utilize everything I have learned in my undergraduate work, and everything I have yet to learn in law school to do what I can to help others and enrich lives.

My resume begins with my name and the name of the university I attended. The intent is that employers would look here and make their first judgment of me as college educated. Never during my interviews have I been asked to prove that I have retained any of the information so laboriously attained during those four years. In fact, the conversation has never dwelled for more than a few minutes on the subject of college academics. Yet without that heading, I would not even be given an audience. I believe this is because college functions not only as a purveyor of information, but most importantly as a powerful shaping, enhancing, and maturing experience. It is similar to a military boot-camp. In both places, attendees are taught not only practical skills, but vital characteristics and mindsets necessary for success. When an employer looks at the top of my resume, they assume that I am disciplined, hard working, a problem solver, and that I persevere. Though I was paying for academics, the true value of my college experience came from the less tangible lessons that are implied in the first lines of my resume.

I got more than I ever thought possible out of my college experience so far. I have had really great teachers from whom I learned so much, and met friends that I know I will be friends with for the rest of my life. Picking a good school is important and I know that I 've picked the perfect one for me. My education is very valuable and important and I know it will really take me places.

I can only say that my first year of college has been an interesting learning curve. I guess I never realized how much I need to depend on myself and take responsibility for getting to classes, homework, and do it without being nagged by my parents. Learning to live with a total stranger and learn how to be flexible along with adapting to all sorts of situations. Utilizing skills my parents have instilled in me and thought at times were "stupid" but realizing that they may not have been stupid afterall. I have also learned that there is a time and place for certain activities such as "partying." Found out the consequences more through a roommate. I guess overall you could say that "I just grew up and matured some." Overall I learned that I could stand on my own and that college has allowed me that opportunity to achieve that.

Jyl

It has taken a lot of sacrifice from myself and my family to attend college, but I know that by investing in my education now will only help me to prosper in the future. Through my college experience I have become a more disciplined and prioritized person. I also feel confident through my studies that I will be well prepared to do the job in the career field that I have chosen.

Violette

Since I have started Midlands Technical College I have learned valuable information that I know I would not have without enrolling in classes. My first semester the most important thing I learned is how important it is to study, in high school that was never a big issue since the work was not all that hard. In my first semester I finished with a 3.3 GPA and knew I wanted to do better. My second semester was similar to my first and I was still getting the hang of college; I finished that semester with a 3.3 GPA as well. My third semester I decided to really buckle down and work hard, I finished that semester with a 3.8, making only one B and four A's. I am currently in my fourth semester and am learning more and more everyday. I hope to finish this semester off with a 4.0 in order to get a good scholarship when I transfer to Clemson University. College has changed my life and the way I feel about myself, I am so grateful that I am able to have this experience.

Matthena

College is a great place to further your education. It is a great place to meet lifelong friends. College also puts you in tough situations that you will need to figure out for yourself, it really is a growing process. You learn how to make decisions without the aid of your parents. It is a stepping stone to getting you to realize how the real world will be, and how it is not a piece a cake, like we would like it to be. There is always a consequence for your actions and you learn this at college. Sometimes you will have to bear with the things handed to you and your parents will not be able to fix everything like they used to. Really college is just the place for a teenager to turn into an adult.

Jose

I have recieved alot of knowledge on life, that it isn't easy and that you must strive to better myself in order to achieve my goals. I learned to make due with what i have and that it will always be challenging. It's been so valueable to me because I know that without attending college I wouln't get far, I would never have realized how important an education is in order to properly provide for my future family.

Denise

It helped me grow not only academically, but also socially. Bradley itself offers many opportunities to expresss yourself through many different groups. There is a gaming gruop that would meet and play computer games together, a water polo club for those who still want to participate. You name it, they have a club, or you can form a club. The numerous opportunities allow someone to really try something out, or continue participating, as well as really allows you to express yourself. What I also love about Bradley is that it really prepares you for life after Bradely. They have a career center that constantly sends you opportunities, as well as teachers that are more than willing to write you a recommendation. On that note, the class sizes are almost always small enough that the teacher really gets to know you as a person. This means finding a teacher to write a recommendation is very easy, as well as the teachers are more than willing to really help you succeed in their class. All together Bradley University allowed me to really find myself as a student and a person, and I would not trade my experience for the world.

What to do different? What would I do? What to do different? And what to renew? Well here?s my advice, a few words for you Well here?s my advice, this is what you should do Wake up Joshua! You?ve got to work hard! Wake up Joshua! Don?t play the lazy card! College takes learning, listening a lot! College takes energy, discipline and thought! College costs money, an arm and a leg Its scholarship time! You don?t want to beg No scholarships there? Then its time for plan B It?s off to state college, (join the military) it?s free! Its good not to party, I?ve seen people fall Stay away from the drink, don?t touch it at all Be friendly, make friends! You will have much more fun Be kind and be courteous, you could find the special one Take advice from your parents, they wont lead you astray Don?t take their advice? Well you?re gonna pay Be positive! A good attitude, will get you far Be positive! You?ll do fine, wherever you are

Aniket

College life is way different than high school life. For one thing you are self independent. Be prepared to make choices without your parents being their to guide you along the way. Hopefully you make the right choices of doing your work on time and making something of yourself. Also, be open to meeting new people and connecting with people from different backgrounds. The biggest piece of advice I would give to my self is to use the time wisely. College is a new experience for many of us so find something that you really enjoy. That way you make new friends and become comfortable with this new atmosphere.

To any incoming freshmen entering the college life, make sure to always get out your homework and classes first. There will always be time for partying and having fun in college, but make sure that you get your work and studying done first. Also, get involved in many activities as you can, make yourself stand out as much as you can on your college application. College is not a cheap education, apply for many scholarships as you can, as well as financial aid. Having money to pay for your education is no joke. For the schools you are thinking about attending, try and visit those schools as much as possible to see if the school you are looking at is indeed the school you want to attend. I would apply to all the schools that you are thinking about plus more. After all of that, good luck on your college search.

Most college students see the transition from high school to college the hardest. I myself felt unprepared for this major life style change. Going from high school where everything was handed to you to college where you have to keep track of all your assignments, it was very overwhelming. If I have the chance to go back and give myself advice there would be a few things I would say. The main thing that killed me my first semester was my studying problems. Throughout high school I was never taught the right way to study for me and I wish I had so I could have improved on it in college not learn it. Another big thing is that the schools should teach the seniors differently than the other students in high school. The teachers are always saying they are preparing us for college but in reality they are not. I wish my senior year of high school was taught like college professors teach with a syllabus and everything they do to challenge us. Most of all I would have saved much more money!

As a high school senior, I was a hard worker, always keeping my eye on college. I already knew that I was going to major in psychology so I had already begun looking up careers. I always had a large homework load and I never had time to socialize. If I were to go back in time and talk to myself I would say to continue working hard because it will all pay off in the end. Overall, my transition into the academic aspect of college went very well, but the social aspect not so much. Therefore, I would also tell myself to find time to hang out with friends, because upon entering college, it will be ten times more difficult to see them and spend time with them. Along with socializing more, I would tell myself to open up more and stop being quiet. In college, it can be quite lonely when you don't have many friends.

Going into college, I was naive to the distractions that living on campus presents. Everyone always says that senior year of high school is supposed to prepare you for college academics. When I first got to Bradley, the workload was comparable to high school and I was optimistic about my grades. After a few weeks, I realized that high school could not possibly prepare students for real college life. High school did not prepare me for living with a roommate, a constant social scene, and trying to get work done with music blaring from the room next door. If I could go back, I would advise my younger self to learn and focus on time management. I would not advise myself against campus activities or other social gatherings, but I would definitely recommend centering myself around my academics and implementing effective time management.

Be proactive in searching for the right college. Make visites and do research. Once in college, make goals for yourself and be optimistic. Have confidence in yourself but don't be afraid to seek help.

balls to the wall. drive it like you stole it

The most important thing to do is focus on your academics. Don't let your social life or sports become first in your priorities. Getting a good GPA is important to land a prestigious internship and future job. Take every opportunity to ask questions and get help from professors and student tutoring, whenever necessary. Not doing do because of shyness or pride is wrong. Do absolutely everything possibe to succeed. It is your future.

Todd

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior I would tell my self to stay focused. They are so many distractions in college that can lead you away from your school work. It is also very easy to follow those distractions when you don't hav your parents watching your every move. I would alo tell myself that college is nothing like high school. The amount and time you must put forth in order o attain the grade you want in college is close to triple what you would have to do in high school for the same grade (except for a F, same amount of work required fot that). The last thing I would tellm younger self is to utiize as many resources as possible. They are there for a reason and designed to help make the workload a little easier.

Sharon

I would tell myself to work hard and get all the courses in High school to go on in college and get the degree easier on college. I would also tell myself to take what college degree I wanted and not take a degree just to please others.

I personally didn?t think that college would any different from high school. I had spent a lot of time not living at home, pursing different things. I felt that I was very prepared for my new life at college. But boy was I wrong! One of the first things I learned right off the bat is that you don?t have any structure at school. All of sudden I could eat, sleep, and go out whenever I wanted, which wasn?t very good for me. You definitely have to start planning things. I created schedules and lists so that I could be organized and make sure I got things done on time. Being prepared for everything made me feel less anxious about new things and more equipped for what life threw at me. By the end of the semester I was able to balance work and play and to make good decisions. Living at college helped see to that. But it would have been nice knowing all of this at the beginning.

If I could go back in time and tell myself how to make the transition into college easier this is what I would say. Make sure you go to all of your classes. Missing even a couple will put you far behind and it won't be easy to get caught back up. Don't be afraid to go for help. Even though you're used to doing things yourself don't think that it?s a bad thing to get help. The work is much harder and if you get help when you need it then you won't be overwhelmed. Most importantly, try lots of new things. Joining new groups will help you meet people and are a lot of fun. Plus it will help keep you sane when you feel like all you have to do is work. You'll really enjoy Bradley so just keep up with your work and you'll do great.

Maegan

If i could go back and offer some advice to myself i would suggest that I take a few moments to appreciate the beauty of the new things around me. i would also suggest hitting the library a little more. I feel that as a freshman I should have studied more and worked a little bit harder instead of assuming that i could skate by like i did in high school. Something that i think is important as well is getting involved on campus. I find that whenever i hear of a club or oppertunity that i miss i wish that i had gone and done those things. for this reason i feel that it is important to advise getting involved an experiencing as many things as possible. you only get to go through college once and the most should be made of it.

The advice I would give the old me would be to stay focused on what is important. Friends will come and go but your education is serious and there is no going back. I would also tell the old Ashley that she needs to start to take notes and pay close atteting to what she is being told in class becuase that information will be on an exam in the near future. The last thing I would tell the old Ashley is that she needs to get her prioities in order, you can have fun but you have to finish what needs to be done first.

My advice would be to follow your dreams. It's hard to see though the obstacles especially today. If you not only persevere but also look past the things that are stopping you from achieving your goals, then you will soar above all obstacles and even your dream career may become a reality. You have to open yourself up to new opportunities as they come. College may seem far away but you may have to make that big decision sooner than you think, and it?s up to you to prepare yourself for the things you may encounter. It is important to make contacts with representatives from the schools you're interested in attending and to show interest! Even if you do not know who you want to be in the future you need to express interest in learning, growing, and contributing in your own way.

Traci

Seek out the knowledge of your professors and advisors. The faculty and staff are there to help you -- they are readily available and eager to do so. You will benefit in the immediate, but also in the future; and you will experience these benefits in both your personal and academic life. In terms of academics, making a 4-year course plan is key, and knowing your academic goal is incredibly important. The chances of timely success in obtaining your academic goals will increase tenfold if you seek the advice of the ones who have gone before you. In terms of your personal life, your professors can serve as mentors while you are in college, but possibly even more important is the networking that will happen naturally as you develop relationships with your professors. You will likely look back someday, perhaps after landing your first "real" job at the company your professor referred you to years ago, and realize how thankful you are that you knew that professor! You will be amazed at the incredible source of information that is accessible to you, waiting right at your fingertips if you will simply take the step to seek it out.

Diane

I would tell myself to take risks and apply to schools that would be called "reach" schools. I wish I would have just taken a chance and applied to that Ivy league school. I also wished I would have applied to more schools. Maybe I would have been happier at where I ended up. I also would tell myself to stop being so lazy and apply for scholarships because that would have lightened the amount to pay for college. I would have told myself to set higher standards and go after what I wanted. Rejection is definitely not the worst thing that can happen. Even if you do get rejected from a school, at least you tried. Better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all.

Jackie

If I could go back to my senior year in high school I would prepare more. I would make sure that I took a full load of classes and perhaps make sure that some are Honors or AP classes. I think it would be very helpful if high schools could make it mandatory that seniors take seminars in organization, planning and time management! I think seminars like this would make the transition from high school to college very helpful! I would also take more seriously the fact that just because I did so good in high school it would not be the same in college! The college material is definitely harder and in larger loads than what I did in high school. I think more counseling would have helped me to better succeed my first semester in collelge. I had to learn a lot quick and unfortunatley the hard way! I now know that I have to stay ahead of my classes at all times! This semester I will definitely have to be working harder and stay more focused.

College is much harder. Study harder and put more into your school work. Don't worry about making friends, they will come. Save more money, it will be tight. It's fun, but don't go overboard.

To be more carfull on tests and to make sure to do all of the homework. To double check work and avoid mistakes as much as possible.