Brandeis University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The typical stereotype is unattractive, quirky/nerdy, not partiers, but people here are usually passionate about some subject/social cause. As a whole, this is true, however there is definitely a crowd that is more normal and likes to go out and socialize.

The stereotype of students at Brandeis is nerdy. We are known as the school with non-partiers and dorks. However, this is not the case. Though there are some of the stereotyped people, there are also lots of fun-loving people. All you need to do is find the right friends!

The stereotype for Brandeis Students is that we are nerdy and anti-social. Let me be the first to say that this is not true- like most stereotypes, this is labeling an entire group of people in an unfair way. True to any school, there are definitely your group of nerdy kids who do not like to go out on the weekends, however the majority of students do have fun and are incredible social! College is a microcosm of what the real world is like- there are all kinds of people, you just have to seek out your own group and you will find your niche!

The stereotype that the majority Brandeis students are awkward is probably true, but it is not a bad thing at all. People who may have felt they were awkward in high school no longer feel that way at Brandeis, and the school offers a great place for people to work on getting their socials skills up to par with their academic and intellectual skills. Also, because most Brandeis students are so accepting of others, and such nice people, awkwardness is something nobody really thinks twice about. However, it is definitely true that our collective awkwardness is something of an inside joke amongst the student body.

Brandeis students have a reputation of being pretty weird, and that can definitely be true, but no matter what type of personality you have, there's a group for you. The students here aren't weirder than kids at other schools, just more comfortable with themselves and more willing to show their true colors. People, of course, try to put their best foot forward when meeting new people, but are quick to show their real selves, making for less shallow and more meaningful relationships. Rather than being liked for qualities that make people popular in most high schools, Brandeis students are likable for being loyal, honest friends.

Yes, Brandeis is a non-sectarian Jewish-sponsored institution of higher learning, but in no way will your education be steeped in Judaism. There is surely a plurality of Jewish students, but one of the things I love about Brandeis is its diversity of cultures, ideals and ethnicities. For our size and definition as a small liberal arts institution, I believe that we are probably one of the more diverse campuses on the East Coast. If you want to get involved in a religious or cultural club on campus, there are plenty of options such as Hillel and baRuCh (the Conservative Jewish group), along with the Korean Students Association and the Catholic Students Organization. However, I know many Jews that have never attended a Jewish cultural event, club or service in their 4 years. Believe me- the school does not shut down on Friday nights, there are plenty of school-sponsored social events and parties to attend. You may note that there are many Orthodox students at Brandeis, more so than perhaps you would see at other institutions. Students are concerned about Israel on campus and many lectures are based around the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, with both sides given equal time.

Todd

A lot of people believe that everyone at Brandeis is Jewish. Brandeis is a Jewish sponsored university, but nonsectarian. We do have a very active Hillel on campus, which is great for members who want to be part of the Jewish community. But, overall we have over 17 world religious recognized at Brandeis. But, beyond religion, we also have a lot of cultural diversity. We really do focus on an open community, so people feel welcome regardless their background. It's that type of community that makes Brandeis amazing.

Brandeis is known for not being a party school and maybe even spending too much time in the library. This is true in comparison to other universities. (I transferred from a big state university where the party scene was much more active.) Of course, it's still a college campus and parties do exist, if that's what you're into. The main difference is that if you'd rather spend your time doing something else, it's acceptable and there are plenty of options. Brandeis is also known for having a large Jewish student population. Again, very true compared to other universities. What I found, however, is that most students identify as "culturally" Jewish. So while there are a lot of Jews, it's not really "in your face" unless you're looking for a more active religious experience, like Hillel or Chabad.