Brevard, NC
Brevard College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Brevard College

Elaine

My classmates challenge my thinking and support me forming my own opinions.

My classmates challenge my thinking and support me forming my own opinions.

Be yourself and don't be afraid to challenge your limits. Go out for the musical and climb a rock. You are awesome and you are capable of doing great and magnificent things you never thought were possible. Be bold and go after every opportunity. Collect experiences and one day...you will be an awesome grandma!

I wish I had known a little more about finances and how to pace myself with money.

Dwight

I think one of the best things baout BC is the sive we are a small school. Total i would say we have about 800 people on the campus including students, faculty and staff. We have a 10:1 student to teacher ratio which is amazing because you can usually get all the one on one time you want/need. I think my bigges class was 30 people and that was World Religions. My smallest class was 3 people and that was Opera Literature. On this cmapus people spend most of there time outside wether it is laying out getting some sun by the creek that runs through the center of campus or hiking through Pisgah or Dupont. One of the downfalls about BC is probably the town itself. The community of Brevard consists of college students and old people. So there isnt much of a "college" feel to the town, although there are some really nice resteraunts a few really fun bars (for you poeple 21 and up) and some nice art galleries and shops downtown. We are defintily within walking distance from downtown being that it is just up a hill right beside campus. Probably one of the most exciting and unusual things about Brevard College would be that we are home to a very mysterious creature. Are you ready for this. In the little town of Brevard we are home to the... suspense is killing you inst it! We are home to the WHITE SQUIRREL! I know right isnt that crazy! They are all over the place, especially on our campus. One of the most memorable expiriences from my last year of BC was Earth Day. It was huge, we had a free concert outside of the porter center featuring local bands, we also had all kinds of arts and crafts, a rain barrel demonstration, local art work, and we also planted a butterfly garden right beside our cafeteria. One of our biggest attractions on the campus would be the Porter Center for Performing Arts. It has huge concert hall and seats 700 people with a huge stage where we can hold an sntire symphony but it can also be intimate for a solo guitar recital. We have world famous guest performers come from all over the world and they really do give fantastic performances. Just this past year we had Chanticleer, Cameron Carpenter, Amsterdam Cello Octet, and many many more! If you want to check out this coming season go to theportercenter.org!

The student body at BC is very diverse but there is something about each of us that makes Brevard the perfect fit. Most people are very open with each persons differences in religion/sexual orientation/race and i have never heard of any hate crimes ever being reported on this campus. It really doesnt matter what you where to class as long as you have clothes on. I usually went to most of my classes barefoot and no one really cared, just make sure you have them with you to go to the caf). Most BC students are form the NC area with our second highest state being SC and then GA. However, we do have students that come from all over the place including CA, Monte negro (i think that is how you spell it), China, Scotland, and many other places. The dining hall is a very interesting place when you walk in, because it is pretty much segregated my major or sport, and everyone always sits at the same table.

Luckily these stereotypes are really not true at all. So a lot of us do love nature more than most schools, but the main reason for that is we live in Brevard, NC which is right next door to Pisgah National Forest and Dupont Forest. We are known as the land of the waterfalls because we have over 260 waterfalls right in our backyard (I mean wouldnt you love nature a little more if you could go do your homework beside a 200 ft waterfall). Also we have a program here known as WLEE (Wilderness Leadership and Experiential Education) which is for students who really love the nature and wish t pursue careers in that area. Classes include Kayaking, Backpacking, rock climbing, Immersion whcih is a 20 day backpacking trip (think of it as your final project for the major). We are definitly not anti athletics. At Brevard we have a total of about 650 students and over 50% of them are athletes. Our sports include Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Track and Field, Cheerleading, Cycling, Golf, Soccer, Volleyball, Cross Country, and Softball. Me being a music major I dont really know a lot about the atheltics but i do know that i have made some great friends who are atheltes and even though there is some students who are "anti" athletes that is a very small percentage of the school. Since Brevrd is so small we all really want everyone to succeed in what ever they are pursuing. Granted that music is a very important and popular major at this school, not everyone who goes here studies music. Most peole getus confused with the Brevard Music Center which is a school that takes place during the summer that is all music (hince the name of the school). However we do have a very good music program and we have an incredibly talented faculty and staff. We are definitly not all rich kids. Just because this is a private and it is a litle more expensive than most 87% of the student body has some sort of financial aid. $7 million in aid was coordinated for Brevard College students in 2003-2004 for 578 students (thats alot of money). Nd believe me if BC wasnt so willing to help with Financial Aid then i wouldnt have been able to go there.

Another one of my favorite things about BC would definitly have to be the professors. It seems like every single teacher knows your name, even if you havnt been in a class with them! And like i said before there is a 10:1 student to teacher ratio. All of the professors are very willing to meet with you outside of class and will help you with anything even if it doesnt have to do with that class but just everyday life. Also teachers are very open to hanging out with students outside of class. I have seen some of my music professors playing in local bas with there own bands and actually i saw one of the business teachers playing jazz at a local bar in town. My favorie class would have to be Dr. Gordon's acting II class, i think i learned more out of that class than any other, i dont know exactly why that is but Dr. Gordon is just an amazing teacher/actress/director/human being. Another one of my favorite classes was Existential Literature with Mel Bringe i think it is safe to say that she is definitly in the top five best teachers at the school (so if you decide to come here sign up for one of her classes).

I wasnt invovled with very many groups on campus just because i was always rehearsing for the next show some where, but we do have a large number of groups/clubs that people can join or if you have an idea we are very open to starting new clubs. A huge thing with brevard is the feeling of community, everyone knows everyone. People are always leaving doors open and just always having fun. One night we could be having a party in the Pirate Village (if you come here you will here the stories), then next night moving couches out around one of our fire pits and having a drum circle, and then the next night taping glow sticks to volleyballs and playing glow in the dark kickball. There is something going on for everyone so you never have to worry about getting bored. There are no Frats/sororities so they arent realy a part of our school. You can always go camping/hiking/mountain biking/kayaking/climbing/anything outdoors, or you can also go to Asheville or Greenville to some of the bigger cities in the are which are about 45 min form Brevard.

Some of the biggest stereotypes about BC are as follows: we are all hippies we are anti athletics we are all music students we are all rich kids

Kody

Small group of students invested in the liberal arts, especially the environment.

VISIT VISIT VISIT! Meet professors, talk to students. IGNORE the ADMISSIONS STAFF.

A person wanting to dissappear.

Chelsea

When you step onto a college's campus and you feel like you belong there, then you know you found the right school. I think so many students look for specific attributes which eventually sucks them into an uncomfortable environment. I have seen many people come to Brevard College and leave because it is too small, yet these are the same people that only came to Brevard because they were able to play a sport or they liked the dorm room. Their are also students, however, that come here from all over the world and fall in love with the school because of its community and lifestyle. It is important that the school carries your major and possibly a sport if you are an athlete. But, make sure you visit the campus and look for what you like about the school, not what you don't like. Sometimes it is easier to make a list on what the school must have, like costs, athletics, and major. Start the search as a young high school student, and you will eventually find a place where you belong. God will let you know when you step on the right campus.

Sometimes it does get boring when the town shuts down at like 7pm on weekdays and 9pm on weekends. The cost is probably the majority of student's problem. It is so expensive and not very many scholarships are handed out. I only have a soccer and academic scholarship, and their amounts only cover a small bit of the tuition.

It is a beautiful area. We are the only area in the country with White Squirrls. I love how we have small classes and it is easy to connect with other students and the professors. There is not a lot to do social wise, but there is a lot to do in the outdoors; like hiking, fishing, kayaking, mountain climbing and biking, etc. Brevard is a small town, but there are several neat places to go to nearby... like Asheville, Hendersonville, lakes, and ski resorts.

Kristin

The first advice would offer is to do your research. There are so many colleges out there to pick from and knowing what you are looking for in a college is a great way to narrow the number down. One way to do this is to figure out if you want a small college or a large one, close to home or across the country, or most importantly what you want to go to school for? If you pick a college that doesn't offer your major you may be wasting your time and money. The next thing to do it make sure you visit the campus, something can sound wonderful on paper but you will only know how well you will fit when you see the campus and your self on that campus. Lastly while you are visiting make sure to ask the most questions you can to make sure you like what you hear, asking numerous people will give you a great sense of the campus and it's faculty. The main idea is finding a place that you love and will enjoy going to. If you follow your instincts you will find the right place for you.

The small population. It is so much easier to get to know those people so go to school with and make friends. The teachers can work one on one with you and you don't feel like your being rushed because there are so many other people waiting.

Someone who wants a college that is constantly moving and busy. The campus is very laid back, and it is in a very small town where everything closes at 9. So if they like to party it would be at least a 30-45 minute drive.

Monica

A small liberal arts college with a variety of oppourtunities for students of all personalities.

Everyone is very accepting, friendly, and always willing to help out.

Find a college that best suits your needs academically, financially, and socially. Everyone's view of what they're looking for is different and only the student can decide what is a good fit for them. One of the most benefical things to my college experience has been living on campus. It allows me to join different clubs and organizations and meet the different people in my dorm. It has opened up my eyes to the different beliefs and views in the world on a variety of issues. This helps me to clarify and strenghten the beliefs I had before arriving at school. Living on campus has helped me to become more independent and rely on myself to be responsible for my school work and actions. This becomes your home away from home and must be a place you feel comfortable. Overall, I would say this has been the most important thing in my college expereince.

I would say to look at all options before making a decision. Make sure its a good fit for the students needs. I attempted a large University right out of high school and failed after only a semester. Now that I attend a small school, I am able to receive the one on one instruction that I need in order to succeed. I would also advise that every student learns differently and at a different pace, so if a person does not do well at a certain school, its ok to transfer, or even take a break in order to find that right fit or figure out who they are. Making the most out of a college experience is solely reliant on the students desire to learn and grow. If they value their education, they will make the most out of it. Setting personal academic goals, getting involved in extracurricular activities, participating in community events and volunteering are all ways to make the most of a college education. But the student must have a true desire to learn, grow and experience it for themselves.

I love the fact that Brevard College is small and yet still very diverse. I am able to work very closely with my professors who are always available when they are needed. The faculty and staff go above and beyond to accomodate the needs of every student. We have students from several other countries attending Brevard College as well as a wide variety of religious and political backgrounds. I believe this allows us to learn even more outside of the classroom material.

There are not many bad things to say about Brevard College, but if I had to choose, I would say that even though it is a small school, they should offer summer classes. I know several students including myself that would benefit from being able to take classes in the summer and graduate sooner.

Brevard College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.