Laie, HI
Brigham Young University-Hawaii

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Justin

My school provided me a completely unique and global setting to gain an education while surrounded by over 70 countries represented through my classmates. It has given me unprecidented access to amazing professors who are practitioners and have real world expertise in my area of study (business management). Small classes, world class education, fraction of the cost, located on the North Shore of Hawaii. The culture of my school is so diverse and the culture of the many countries represented has opened my eyes to a global world, both from a personal perspective and career trajectory.

Its all about the j-curve, just like in the business world having an accurate understanding of what investments in time/money will pay the biggest dividends is true when it comes to college. Going into college I started without a strategy and attended classes because that is what was expected of me. I spent so much wasted effort on areas of my college experience that provided little academic, social, or future economic benefit. Education should be all about your learning; I have now found that key to my experience has been identifying a strategy and focussing my efforts on experiences and opportunities that will really be impactful. This doesn't always mean the courses on the traditional map or even courses at all, it has meant for me starting businesses, finding mentors in the offices of my professors, and building lifelong friendships with individuals who inspire me and are having a positive impact on the world. My advice is develop a strategy and don't attend college or classes just because you are expected to, it is never too early to plan where you want to end up develop the skills and experience needed to get there.

Founded in 1955 the school has faced several staged revitalization and improvement phases but due to its remote location and the cost of construction and materials the facilities and infrastructure leave much to be desired. There is also some aspects to the culture that limit the access students have to campus resources that are readily available to students on other campuses. While the small class sizes and accessibility of professors is amazing the small size of the University as a whole brings limits of scale and cross department innovation due to the limited number of programs and funding.

Brittney

Wake up Brittney and look around you. What are you doing with your life? You want to be a Neo Natal Nurse right? Then what your doing right now, do you think that it's going to help you achieve this? Lets face the facts if you really want a fighting chance in life, in pursuing a good career and doing what you really want to do then you need to get on the ball of things and start getting your grades together. You need to start putting together a plan instead of thinking that it's just High School. High School is the stepping stone in the real world. If you don't take that step and do well then your going to fall on your face and it's going to be so much harder to get back up and make it to the top. Look at the world around you, read the newspaper, watch the news, absord in whats really going on out there and get yourself ready for it. Your education is number one in your life if you want to become a nurse. Education is the only way to get there.

Greg

A safe place to learn and study far away from distractions of the world.

A safe place to learn and study far away from distractions of the world.

If I could go back I would like to tell myself to take school seriously. I wasted time after highschool and it took a long time to repair the damage I did to my grades, so I could get into a good college. I wish I could have been more focused on what was important in life, getting an education. It has taken years away from my life that could have been spent getting an education and a real job. I wish I could have saved my money so I didn't have to work full while I try to stay on top of school. And ulitmatly I wish I could have seen that it would have been better to leave home to start my schooling on my own, and leave behind my old life and friends that i wasted so much time with.

BYU hawaii has a safe and clean campus that is secluded on the far edge of the island. The professors as well as the students have high standerds and are focused on learning. The student body is small and the teacher to student ratio is excellent for learning. The best thing about the school is the atmosphere, they have created a place where people can study and learn.

Brenna

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself not to sweat the small stuff, to enjoy life, and life is sometimes difficult but you will get through it. I would also advise myself to go to bed earlier and sleep in when you can, because someday you will miss being able to get enough sleep!

Alexis

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself everything I now tell my younger sister. I would tell myself to enjoy every minute at home with family because once you leave, you will miss them more than anything and it will never be the same again. I would tell myself not too worry about what everyone else thinks beacuse in college, those people simply will not matter anymore. We will all go different directions and grow in different ways. I would tell myself to work as hard as possible to get good grades and have good study habits because in college it only gets harder. The most important thing I would tell myself or anyone to strengthen a relationship with that person closest too you becasue you will want and need them more than anything when you are miles away and feel like everything is changing. You will want and need someone there that knows you to help you through the transition. And lastly I would say never settle for less. If you have a dream, go for it. You can do anything you set your mind too do.

Any kind of person who wants to be the best they can be should attend this school. BYU Hawaii is a culturally diverse campus which allows for interaction with people from all over the world. We uphols a high standard and cherish values and morals which are reflected in the studentrs that attend.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that sometimes its cloudy and we cant get a tan on the beach! This school is amazing :)

Thomas

Any kind of person should attend this school. Students at this school give such a warm welcome, and there's tons of fun activities to do around the island with former or new friends all the time.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii integrates both spiritual and secular aspects of the learning experience. The mass diversity in the students allows for students to get to know different cultures and make lasting friends from all over the world, literally. Not to mention the school is minutes away from the famous north shore beaches.

I would'nt advise myself to do anything. My plan was to attend this school since middle school and I made it happen. I would have advised myself to save every penny I could, but with those spent pennies, I made memories with friends growing up I wouldn't change for the world.

Timothy

I would have told myself to do all of my homework and to try my best in my classes. Looking back it seems that it may not have been important to get a great GPA as I was accepted into this college anyways, but I see that the importance of working hard in highschool is the formation of good study habits that would benefit anyone who makes the transition from high school to college life. I would have taught myself that it's not about cramming last minute and just doing the required coursework to get by but rather a consistent, diligent effort to learn the material presented in class. In high school it seems that you only need to get good grades to get into college and actually learning the material isn't important. I would teach myself that in college the material being presented isn't just for a degree, it's knowledge for life. Sitting in classes with future doctors and chemists, you don't want to see someone who simply learns the information to pass the test and then forgets. You want them to be knowlegeable to be able to help in their respective fields. Learn.

I'm sure you've heard of 'Hawaiian time' as in, everything is late and there is a laid back attitude about work. This campus is not excluded from Hawaiian time. While most professors are pretty good at doing things on time, the majority of school faculty not dedicated to teaching seem to run on Hawaiian time and don't have a sense of urgency in dealing with matters that are important to the students.

This school is very racially diverse. You will find people from all over the world attending this school. If someone has a problem with diversity, they shouldn't attend this school. This school is also very conservative and there aren't many big parties or much of a common social scene. The social scene here involves going to the beach, going on hikes, doing different adventures. If you're looking for a party, this is the wrong place. The community is highly integrated with local native Hawaiians and respect for the native people of this town is necessary.

anissa

My classmates are diverse in culture and talents.

My classmates are diverse in culture and talents.

If I were able to go back in time and tell myself what I know now I would tell myself to be better prepared to apply for funding such as scholarships and grants and to work more hours to save for university. I would tell myself to study harder and to care more about my grade 12 year more than what I did. I would advise myself to be prepared for a "culture shock" in that university is much different from high school in all dynamics. I would tell myself to appreciate my family more and to not take them for granted and to be prepared to live on my own without family right there with me by my side.

The worst thing about my school is the expense, including flights. This is the worst because as a student it is hard to come up with the funds to attend and I do not have a high income or much help financially from family.

Siniva

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to finish school as soon as possible. I would tell myself that I need to finish because now I am a 49 year old mother of 7 and I'm trying to go back to school. It's harder now to finish than when I had the chance when I was younger. I need to be able to provide for my family in case of emergencies. I'd tell myself to not give up on school and to press forward. Don't let the kids or family hold you back and let them be a motivation. Once you start college make sure you finish right away and consecutively. Education will help you and your family to strive in the future. That is just a little bit of what I'd tell myself if I went back in time.

I consider the student-to-teacher ratio at Brigham Young University the best thing about my school. There are less students and more teachers, so you get more attention and help if needed.

Brigham Young University has a great family atmosphere and a multi-cultural background. They welcome many cultures and accept students from all over the world. It's standards and honor code are strictly enforced and followed. Everything is convieniently located.

It's full of culture, amazing people and beautiful scenery.

It's full of culture, amazing people and beautiful scenery.

I would have told myself two important things. 1) to save money and 2) to apply for as many scholarships as possible. You will never regret the time and effort you spent trying to save money and apply for scholarships. As far as the transition goes, I wish I would have been more social in high school. It's a lot easier to transition and make new friends in college if you practiced being outgoing in high school.

I wish I had full understanding of all the culture I was getting myself into. BYU-Hawaii has the most culturally diverse undergraduate campus in the United States. I also wish I had full understanding of how expensive it is to live in Hawaii. I always knew it was expensive but, my advice would be to save up NOW. You'll thank yourself when you get to school there.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.