Laie, HI
Brigham Young University-Hawaii

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Ali

I would tell my high school senior self to APPLY FOR MORE SCHOLARSHIPS. There are a lot of opportunities out there to receive help with your college education and the loan road is a rough road. I would also tell myself to stop worrying so much about what you want to be. Life will unfold itself whether you like it or not and you will discover what you want to be through your experiences. Just trust yourself, hold on, and remember who you are and what you stand for. Life is all about learning and enjoying the life you've been given!

It's really hard to get ahold of employees/administration when you need them!

Marissa

This school is so culturally diverse! My classes are full of students from 50 different countries around the world. I have learned so much about other countries, cultures, and lots of new words in various languages. Not only has this school provided me with an educational experience, it has given me real world applications outside of American culture.

Do not be so dependent on other people. I wish I had learned how to make decisions on my own before college. My parents are no longer here to help me with everything, or to buy things for me. I wish I had made and followed a budget with my money while in high school. Money had probably quickly become my biggest stress and I think I might have been able to lessen it some what if I had learned to be better with money before. I would also tell myself to mentally prepare for the amount of responsibility that comes with moving out, that is something I think I didn't fully realize as a senior in high school. College is so fun! But it comes with a lot of growing up and reality checks as well. The last thing I would say is to savor every last moment you have with your family, your high school friends, and every silly little thing you can only do in high school. You miss those things more than you think when you're gone.

The classes are very small and personal. My largest class has 50 people in it. The teachers know you by name and will help you one on one. You do not get lost in the crowd of students; you are more than a number here.

My school is best known for its international studies. The students that attend BYU Hawaii come from over fifty different countries around the world. Many students here major in international or cultural studies. It is a great place to learn about other cultures and place yourself in that direct learning environment. This school really is a melting pot of cultures and has a great sense of family.

The worst thing about my school would be the flexible hours. Most of the employees here are students. The school provides flexible work hours for the students; so as an employee, it's nice. Unfortunately, as a student trying to get things done on the weekend, it's not so nice because most things are closed early at night or on the weekends.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to enjoy what I have. Things really change once you move away from home. I would make sure that I knew to appreciate what I had around me and available to me. Being so close to loved ones is such a blessing. When ever you need something, friends and family are right there to help you. Living on your own both physically and finacially so far away from home can be continually stressful. College is tough and costs more money than I prepared for. If I could, I would also tell myself to work harder. If I had just taken that extra AP class or worked those extra hours at work, the time spent back then would have saved me money and stress now. I just wish that I had been more prepared after graduation for the amount of responsibility you are expected to handle in college.

Faith

If I were to tell my high school self-advice about college is that it will be an amazing time where you will learn about all different cultures and ways of life. Another thing I would tell myself is to change my French classes to Spanish. Being in Hawaii at one of the top schools for international students you get to meet people from all over the world. There are over 72 countries where students at Byu-Hawaii come from. I have learned to embrace your background and not be afraid to learn about other backgrounds as well. It is amazing how much you are alike and even though there is thousands of miles between the countries you are from we all have something that unites us together. Secondly, I would say change your French classes to Spanish. When I came to college I married someone with Mexican heritage. This opened my eyes to a whole world of experiences. It changed the way I looked at my Elementary Education major and helped and guided me into a minor in Spanish. Today I am working towards learning a new language and embracing this newly found culture and I am loving it.

When I applied to this school I was already attending another college. If there was one thing I wish I would have known about this school before is how much I would love it. If I’d known that beforehand I would have applied here from the beginning. This school is the exact thing I was looking for being an Elementary Education major the program is amazing I love being able to work towards teaching the next generation while getting to know Hawaiian culture at the same time.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a wonderful school that allows you to not only receive academic progression but as well as religious and spiritual progression. If you would come to this school I would ask if you are someone who wants this type of progression. If you are then this school is perfect for you. On the other hand being a church school for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints you would be learning about this religion if you have hard feeling or negative thoughts about this religion then perhaps I would apply elsewhere.

Bradley

This school has it all from hundreds of cultures, beautiful beaches, holy grounds, and peaceful sounds of the wind, and experienced teachers.

It is warm and welcoming and full of hawaiian culture. There are students from all over the world . Everyone is friendly and getts to know each other quickly because of the small campus size and small number of students attending school. Don't forget there is a veiw if the crystal clear ocean that is perfectly warm all year round. I almost forgot about the whole reason I go to the school, there are great professors that have alot of experience in their professions and teach the curriculum well.

Continue to be focused on finishing your degree. It is too easy to stop working for your degree or change you cores of study over and over again. It is easier to pick something then stick with it to the end, later you can go back and get another degree. Friends will come and go, but these friends can be some of the best you will ever know. Make a pattern of studing and all other things you must do each week and keep to the schedule as best as you can, only deviate when you have a real emergencies or life changing event. Get to know your professors well. Talk to them after class., offer to buy them lunch. Ask them everything you can. You can learn alot in the classroom but you can learn even more outside of the classroom if you stay on purpose.

Rylan

At BYU Hawaii it is a cultural adventure. A melting pot, bringing in people from all around the world to a school known for its morals and learning enviroment. The school has a smaller student body and campus making class sizes a lot less than other universities. This creates an easier enviroment to seek help from teachers and also to really get to know your peers. BYU Hawaii is known for its uplifting Aloha Spirit helping ease through the stresses and obstacles that come with college life.

If I could go back to when I was a high school senior and give myself one piece of advice it would be the simple quote, "Remember who you are." Of course there is the common things to say like study hard or take more AP classes however that only is half of the college experience. "Remember who you are", to me, means to persevere throughout all obstacles and to not let the trials of life change the true person inside. College is a time where you can be whoever you want to be, a social game that can cause you to alter your personality in order to fit in. It plays with your emotions and makes you question if you are good enough. My response to this epidemic is to just be you and everything will fall into place. You will make the college experience everything it was made to be because you can be happy with who you are. In reaction to this, you will feel more motivated and be more focused on your classes. We have a choice, to sway and mold yourself to the social "norms" or to stand tall and remember what makes you, you.

The best thing about Brigham Young University Hawaii campus, is the cultural experience. One being in Hawaii you get the experience of the islander life but also being a school known for its cultural diversity you can meet people from all around the world. It brings the world together and creates the ability to branch out your experiences of life. Also, since most students aren't from Hawaii, everyone is in a unfamiliar enviroment making it easier to find friendships that will last a lifetime.

Adam

The location of my school grants its students the most bragging rights. I spend every evening on my balcony watching the sunset over the ocean. I'm a two minute walk to the beach, a 10 minute drive to some of the most world-renowned surf spots and can get to dozens of some of the most beautiful hikes and lookouts Hawaii has to offer within an hour. Being one of the most international schools in the world also makes it possible for me to be aquainted with a myriad of cultures and peoples in an environment that oozes aloha.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is one of the most international schools in the country. Despite knowing this prior to arriving to campus, I didn't expect to experience culture shock. Learning to work and study alongside students from Hong Kong, Korea, Mexico, Russia, etc took understanding and more patience than I had anticipated. I wish I had known more about the shock that would come (both from the sheer number of international students, as well as from the Hawaiian culture) and be prepared to experience it.

William

Brigham Young University Hawaii personally is a solid opportunity to build ones future and character in both an educational and spiritual perspective, in order to better prepare oneself for independance in many aspects in the near future.

Many people jump into college expecting it to be a walk in the park towards your career path. The truth is, it opens up many doors and possibilities in life, but you yourself have to take action in seeking and achieving those great opportunities. Work hard now so that life could be easy later. You have to be willing to work from the ground up. It takes a lot of humility, diligence, consistancy and most important accountability to be successful in achieving your desires. Churchill said, "Success is when goes from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm". Don't let failure set you back when you do meet such trials. Allow yourself to benefit from such experiences in order to better your future. Planning and Time management will be vital towards your success in your career path. The better organized you are, the better prepared you will be for what lies ahead. It is important to enjoy your experience in college but remember to keep your priorities straight and values high. Always be happy and never content. However much you put into building your future, that you will receive, for you reap what you sow.

People who are looking to better their nature, in reference to their character and atmosphere in whom they become, will discover their true potential in blessing the lives of others here at Brigham Young University Hawaii. BYUH has a positive influence in their environment which helps those who attend stay consistantly uplifted and inspired to better one's own future. It provides great support and guidance educationally. Those who seek uplifting experiences and a positive change in their life should invest in attending at BYUH.

Brenon

My classmates are their to learn, be succesful, have a desire to get back to the community.

The advice I would give my self would be to take my studies more serious. To pay better attention in class and apply my self. I would study more in the evenings. I would have read more books!

There was nothing i wish i knew before i went to BYU Hawaii! It has been in incredible time. I love the professors and students. I love the moto "enter to learn go forth to serve"

Cassidy

BYU-Hawaii is best known for its diversity in its students popualtion and sports. Locals from all over the north shore come out to support each sport group. The student population has a very wide rage of where the students are from. Since the school is so diverse, student respect eachother more.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self and tell her what I know now about college, I would tell her that its going to be hard but you can get through it. Spend alittle extra time on your studies and less at the beach. Teachers will understand that you have a learning disability so don't be affraid to let them know. Yes its going to be hard to juggle basketball and school but you can do it. There is a lot of help out there so don't be affaid to ask. Living on an island is hard. Espically when it takes hours just to get to target. But once you find the right friend group they will make all of that fun. Dont be affraid to branch out.

The type of people who should attend BYU-Hawaii are people that will work hard. Show up to class everyday, not get so eaisly distracted by the beach and all the cool hikes that there are to do. BYU-Hawaii is a very international school and you have to be open to many different races and ethenical groups. This school is like no else.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.