Laie, HI
Brigham Young University-Hawaii

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Camille

Students at BYU-Hawai'i are, to say it in a word, diverse. Walking around campus you hear a variety of different languages spoken: Chinese, Samoan, French, Japanese, and African are amongst the many languages you will hear on campus. Do not be alarmed! This is normal. The town of Laie translates to "the Gathering Place", and BYU-Hawaii embodies that title. With students coming from over 70 different countries, this small town University is literally a Gathering Place of the world. Where better to go to school and learn about the world than with this culturally immersive experience?

In the search for an affordable college, BYU-Hawaii stands far above the rest. Money was a big reason for my choice in a college. A top-class, internationally-renowned University that doesn't upset your wallet, like BYU-Hawaii, is the way to go. Especially if you would rather avoid student loans. The education, plus beautiful location on the North Shore of Oahu, comes very cheap when you take a look at the tuition costs versus other colleges.

Just to live a little. Try out that dance club you were afraid to try. Eat in the cafeteria more and make more friends there. Do more math homework instead of relying on Mr. Leiataua's mercy. Don't take Debate class, take Creative Writing. Eat outside in the grass, because you can. Take naps when you get home from school. Don't work as much. Cut your hours. Go to the dumb football games with your friends. Kiss that boy you're second guessing, because, who cares?? You're only a senior in high school ONCE. Take advantage of it.

Ashlyn

Brigham Young University Hawaii is not only a university, but a culturally diverse world of its own that creates endless opportunities for its students from around the globe to interact and make friends, while also learning to become the operators of the future.

Brigham Young University is best known for its culturally diverse population, and an education system that provides students with the means available to academically bring them to a steady lifelong and enjoyable career.

I know that you are in your last year of highschool. Being a senior is all that you've dreamed it would be, but knowing what I know now about your future life in college, I have a little advice. When your teacher tells you that you get extra credit for finishing a project early, DO IT!! This seemingly small burden that it feels like right now will just continue to grow until you've waited until the night before the due date of the project. And let me tell you, college does not offer these simple pleasures. There is no "extra credit for doing your work," but rather a big fat grade to add into your GPA. That brings me to my next point, your GPA matters. Think for two seconds of a college that you wish to attend. Now think of your GPA. Those two factors play a big part in determining which college you want to attend. The things you do now truly do prepare you for college. Take a bigger work load, challenge yourself, and take advantage of the small opportunities you have as a senior in highschool to train you for college.

The most frustrating thing about BYU- Hawaii is the inability to expand and allow more students to attend, due to the small area of land owned by the shcool and the anti-growth activits in the community.

Dear Rachel, First of all, dont give up. You know that education is important but you will find that it is also fun and exciting. Stop worrying about what you will do for the rest of your life and focous on the kind of person you want to be, that will determine your happiness more than anything else. The truth is you really dont have to figure out what you want to do, you have the ability to do many things, as you learn and grow you will find something that is right for you. There is a lot that life has to offer you, dont give up on it, although there will be really hard times, ther will be really good times as well. Be kind to people, you never know what kind of struggle they are in. Be a friend to every one but Make friends with the kind of people you want to be because you will become like your friends. work and study hard in your classes, but dont forget to enjoy the presence of the people around you. Be strong and have faith it will all work out :) Love, Rachel

The best thing about Brigham Young University Hawaii is the diversity. The students are from all over the world, maily the south pacific islands, Asia, and north america, which provides a unique learning opprotunity on our small campus. The size of the school allowes students to become very familiare with eachother and to learn new things and experience new cultures as well as gaining a secular education. The unity of people and cultures that brings together and enhances the educational experience here is common belif in God, and desire to have high moral standards.

Shane

I've always felt that this university was ideal. I feel that the university culture is incredible as it facilitates one of the most diverse campuses in the United States with students from over 70 countries. However, with a phase out of NCAA athletics in progress ending in year 2017, I feel the absence of collegiate athletics will be the worst thing about the school. I feel athletics has a way of unifiying students from all nations in a way no other activity can.

Transitioning to college life is a challenging endeavor that requires careful preperation. If you have not yet learned to love learning, sincerely consider these observations, which I hope, will motivate you to invest your time, money, and whole-hearted effort into obtaining an education. Ponder these questions: Do the professionals you know have college backgrounds? In what ways have you seen the community where you reside give back? Do you hope to be able to provide for yourself and your family in the future? Education is the key that enables professionals to perform their jobs beyond their own aptitude, for communities to come together in causes often requiring financial backing, and for parents to providently provide for their families. College is the training grounds for obtaining the needed education to become agents capable of acting with competency. People with education run society and college is meant to prepare you to take your place in it. Carefully investigate the college that will empower you to be your best self. Becoming your best self is worth the investment of your time, money, and whole heart.

The dress and grooming code feels overly restrictive at times. Sometimes for example, a man might forget to shave and upon entering the test center to take an exam, he would be kindly asked to come back at a later time clean shaven. Every student accepts the dress and grooming standards in order to be accepted into the university, but sometimes the zero-tolerance rule leads to frustrating experiences from what really is only an accident as simple as forgetting to shave.

Julianne

Brigham Young University - Hawaii is home to students in over 79 different countries; we are the nations most diverse group of men and women seeking a higher education, gaining knowledge in order to serve more fully. My classmates in this university are intelligent, goal-oriented and dedicated students, maintaining their cultural identity and sharing their customs with their fellow-students.

Hello, Self! Your future self is telling you right now to have more confidence in yourself. RIGHT NOW. Speak up, get involved, stay focused and, most importantly, have fun and make memories. Your hard work now will lay an invaluable foundation for your college career - pay attention to the STEM classes! Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are a great way to understand the world around you so study up. Apply to your favorite colleges - don't pay attention to the cost right now. Finances will work themselves out. Be sure to pick a college where you'll love the location. Find balance between school. work, friends and personal time. Take your time on deciding your major, do not stress out, do not declare too early. Take your general classes and find your passion and your strengths. Most importantly, appreciate your time amongst students seeking a higher education, rely on them, teach them, love them. You'll never again have this opportunity to be in college, at this time, so take every advantage!

A diverse population means that there are a variety of cultural norms on our campus - and some countries believe that speaking up, voicing an opinion, or standing out in a classroom setting is negative. Though our school maintains a great cultural diversity with future world leaders, it is quiet. I believe that if the students voiced their opinions more openly, our campus would be an even greater educational facility.

Paul

As a teenager in high school I was oblivious to the obstacles and struggles my parents endured for me. Only recently I learned my parent's history. My father was a poor farm boy from the Philippines. His father was a poor farmer as was his grandfather. The poverty in the Philippines was such that you could never escape the cycle of being poor. If your parents are poor, there is a high chance that you will be poor. However, my father knew the secret to success. Education was the answer. My father worked dilligently and graduated high school with honors. In college he worked even harder and, again, graduated with honors. Through the opportunities made available to him, he was able to bring our family to America. Although we are not rich, we are comfortable. I would tell my high school self to, first, be grateful for what I have and to be grateful to my parents. Secondly, I would tell myself that education is the key to success. Education opens doors. If I want success, it's not going to be handed to me, I have to stand up and take it. Lastly, family comes first, always.

People who enjoy a racially diverse school should attend Brigham Young University - Hawaii. Students from more than 80 different nations attend Brigham Young University Hawaii.

Alicia

Brigham Young University in Hawaii accepts everyone. It is a cultural school that is willing to work with all students no matter where they come from or any difficulty. Even the students are just as accepting. At Brigham Young University there is an environment that cannot be created anywhere else because you cannot find a school that is more culturally diverse and safe.

Even though you lost everything in the fire, don't spend money on things that you do not absolutely need. Remember that your grades are important; even when you don't understand anything, there's always someone willing to help you out. Not only can you make it to Hawaii, but you can achieve every dream you've ever had because everyone will tell you that you can't.

Kainalu

The atmosphere here is very spiritual since majority of the students are Latter-Day Saints (LDS; Mormon) yet very diverse; students from all over the world have come here to learn from qualified teachers- from over 50 countries in fact.

Kainalu Barino, everything you will decide for yourself is right. You were right in going to the University of Hawaii at Manoa before transferring to Brigham Young University- Hawaii. Your experiences at University of Hawaii will help you gain a deeper appreciation for life and religion. The University of Hawaii is a great school, very good academically but remember, that needs to be paired with what you will come to learn after attending Brigham Young University; it needs to be paired with the righteous goals in life. Brigham Young University will help you understand the need to learn how to serve. You didn't know this before but BYU-H's motto is, "Enter to learn, go forth to serve". You will play around and squander your parents' money while attending UH-Manoa, but that will prove beneficial in hindsight. When you feel guilty, and when you had your fun, you will decide to serve a full-time Mormon mission and will preach the gospel in Japan. From that experience, you will learn what it really means to love yourself and those around you. You learn lessons that will make you great, and you will love education more afterwards.

The typical college student here would be a young man or woman, in their late teens, or twenties, who practices Mormonism and probably speaks a second language. They will be uplifting and happy, with a great attitude towards school and life in general. They will be patient, happy to help, and very diligent, usually in great physical shape, and has not smoked or drank before. They will be well-groomed and conservative, with great love for everyone.

ezra

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is heaven on earth, it is schooling in paradise, and with over 70 different nationalities living and studying together, it is on of the most diverse universities in the world, and will open your eyes to the beautiful world around you.

well the most appealing aspect of it is that it was located in Hawaii! It also brings together people from all over the world and teaches us to be tolerant, respectuful and understanding of those around us. Lastly it has very small class sizes which has allowed me to personally get to know each of my professors and even become friends with them.

The biggest piece of advice I could give myself, would be to make absolutely sure that you become a professional at writing papers before you come to college. I wrote more papers in my first semester of college than I did in all my high-school years combined. Being able to write an intelligent and orderly paper will be the difference in making, or breaking your college GPA. Not only should you learn to write well, but always go the extra step with all of your homework, because in college that extra step will not only be expected of you, but sometimes required.

Nathan

I would tell my younger self to get out of my comfort zone. Breaking out of my comfort zone helped me not only enjoy my college experince a whole lot more but I also felt more productive with using my time to study. Meeting new people helped me looking forward to each day positively. I would also tell my younger self to prioritze your time. Its always good to have fun, but make sure you always take care of your studies and school work first that way you don't have to stay up late nights working on essays and projects. Lastly I would tell my younger self to be involved with campus activities such as events and service projects. Participating in these activities will help you find out what it is that you want to do for a career. Make the most of every opportunity that comes your way at college, never pass up something that you will regret later.

A person that likes to meet new people, as there are people from all over the world at the university. Also a person that is hardworking and likes to work with other people and is social will definitely fit perfect at BYU Hawaii

Its a small campus so you get a lot more attention from the teachers and they have a greater concern for wanting to help students with their studies.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.