Laie, HI
Brigham Young University-Hawaii

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Jay

My classmates come from diverse backgrounds and are all very kind, hardworking, and faithful people.

The type of person that would enjoy attending Brigham Young University-Hawaii would firstly be someone of faith. Faith in God is something that plays a big role in the education of the students at BYU-H, it helps all students realize that all knowledge gained helps them understand God and the purpose of our lives better. I also believe that any person who is hardworking and desires a good education in a beautiful place that has high moral standards should attend this school.

If I could go back in time and talk to myselfas a high school senior I think I would have two items of advice that I would give now that I have been in college. I would tell myself to work hard in the summer to make and save money so that I can pay my way through school because taking out loans is not a very good option and locks us down financially for a long period of time. So work hard and save money to be able to pay your way through school would be my first advice, and I think my second advice would be to really focus and school and make it a priority. The harder you study and the more important your studies are to you, the more success you will have and the more fulfilling studying at college will be.

Haley

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a school consisting of students from 73 different countries who come for the same reason, to maintain a knowledgable foundation to further their schooling to integrate their knowledge in future endeavors, while making life long connections with countries, which could help for career building.

Definitely expect the unexpected. The many "college-life," stories your friends and family tell you was nothing like your college life so far. Your expectation was to have a lot of fun in college and avoid the library as much as possible, but over your past semesters you realized how important your performance and excelleration were at Brigham Young University-Hawaii. You should have started college with an open mind because the experiences you expected to gain either didn't happen or happened and ended up regretting those decisions. Open mindedness was vital to have when you first attended a private university and is now in your current position as a full-time student. With that open mindedness you could have met your life long friends quicker and learned the business mind faster. Now, that you are open minded, be sure to fully grasp the concept of it in your future schooling, interviews, and ultimately workforce. Make the transition to college your learning experience and communicate yourself as much as you can to others to show them the unexpected.

I brag to my friends that my school has small classes consisting of no more than 30 students to have one-on-one time with our teachers, instead of large lecture halls. I also say that we have one of the most diverse schools in the nation because there were students at Brigham Young University-Hawaii from 73 different countries. Making friends and meeting people from around the world in a tropical paradise like Hawaii couldn't be any better because it shows how students from around the world can come together to share the same beliefs and values.

Alexandria

People who don't like a small university campus and want a more big city feel for their university experience.

You are about to embark on a wonderful journey to further your education, and as you do so your life will change in multiple ways. My advice to you would be to stay calm and enjoy the journey. You will figure everything out sooner or later. Enjoy the process of changing and becoming the person you want to become. You have left home and no one is responsible for you but you. You are going to have to work hard and that will help you grow. Don’t be so caught up in picking the major everyone else wants you to pick, find what you are passionate about. Become engaged in learning and not just cramming to pass a test. College is a privilege, denied to many don’t take for granted the opportunity you have to learn. Remember that college isn’t just about hitting the library. Get out and meet people, because they will be just as much a part of your experience as anything. Join clubs and get involved, this could lead you to many opportunities you won’t find in the classroom. Lastly, Don’t ever stop believing that you can change the world.

The people and the wonderful fun atmosphere make you feel so welcomed into school and the community.

Lindsey

Ranging in nationality from Colombian to Filipino to Samoan to Indonesian and many more, the students with whom I associate here on the lovely campus of BYU Hawaii are the most accepting and charitable people you will ever have the good priviledge of meeting.

Although it wasn't too long ago, looking back on my transition from high school to college feels like looking at a different world. I was so focused on things that I can say now mattered so little, and I thought little of what mattered most. If I could tell my transitional self anything, it would be to slow down and think of people instead of things. Think about who you're going to meet, not what clothes you'll meet them in. Think about how much money you're spending, not the new shiny things you'll have. Think about the advice your parents, people who have done this before, can give you, not the independence you've longed for. There are so many things you're going to learn, so many friends and teachers to meet, and none of it relies on the newest generation of Mac laptops or infinity scarves or fishtail braids. What really ends up meaning the most is the kind of person you've become over the last 18 years, and how that person makes their world a better place. Don't worry about what is to come, but who you are to be.

To be truly successful at Brigham Young University Hawaii, it takes a set of special characteristics. With the beach less than a mile away, it takes a lot of discipline; homework is far less inticing than the waves, yet more important. Equally as necesarry is patience. There are so many different languages being spoken, so true communication takes time and honest effort from both sides. Finally, to attend BYUH you must be cheerful! Hawaii is well known for it's spirit of Aloha, or love, and it's a spirit that every student should try their best to emulate!

The diversity of students. There are over 70 different countries represented. It gives you a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I am married to someone from a different country and we never would have met except if we had come to this school.

I think the most frustrating thing about this school is that it is far away from any bigger cities like Honolulu. It takes a while to get there if you go by bus.

I would say to myself, "Hold on!" It wasn't the easiest road to get to where I am at but it was definitly worth it. Be grateful for the challenges that come because many good things and doors have opened because of it. Stay positive and be yourself. Find the good in other and always be ready to help others. It will come back to you.

daniel

I prefer do not call them ( classmates ) I would like to call them (friends); I would like to have friends at the school with the same values which I have.

I should be more involve in the different activities of the school; example; clubs, sports, etc. also study hard since the beginning of the year; try to do the extra mile; and make more friends.

A very dedicate person who wants to study; this school offers classes almost all the time, the student can finish its bachelors degree in less than three years.

Kevan

I wish I had known just how expensive it was going to be to live off campus and that I had come more financially prepared to deal with that. I also believe that I would have benefitted from understanding the culture of the surrounding area more. With an understanding of these two thing I would have been more prepared to suceed.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would have told my self many things. First I would tell him that I am a lot smarter than I believed and was capable of doing much more. I would explain that I was not going to spend my life in Arizona so shouldn't worry so much about the drama with my friends and family. I would have told him to focus on his interests rather than entertainment. I also would have demonstrated the joy of learning and that it is ok to fail. I would explain that the better I am now the better I will be later so don't worry about not being the best right now just simply keep striving to improve. I would tell him to ignore the negativity he would encounter and learn to forgive and love people around him. If I could have just done that I feel my life would have been very different. I would have helped more people and learned more things. Although reflecting upon what I could have done is nice I must recognize that I can apply those lessons now.

I believe the best thing that I have seen about my school over the last semester is the emphasize on using our knowledge to do something. My teachers have inspired me to start a small business while I am in school instead of waiting til after. Even my social work teachers teaches us how we can interact with people from all walks of life and help them. I really feel that this school has an unique atmosphere that encourages students to go beyond their comfort zones and work for the future.

KallyRae

People who come just to goof around and have a good year at school just to play around should not come to this school. So many students come for their first year of college and just play around and do not take school seriously then transfer so they can take school more seriously at another school.

The world is a big place. You belong in it! The world needs you to make a difference in it! Believe in yourself. You do not have to have strait A's. Work hard! Be true to yourself. Chose a major where you can use your talents to improve the lives of those around you. Try different classes to see what you might be good at. When you chose your major be true to it, and work hard. You are diligent and will work hard on everything you do, however learn to have fun, and to take a break every now and again. Learn to laugh at yourself. Live the Spirit of Aloha. Breath. It will all work out in the end.

I wish I would have known how to manage my time better, and how to better study. If I would have known how to better do those two things I would have had an easier time adjusting to my first year of school, and I could have gotten a better GPA.

Annette

The worst thing about this school would only have to be the fact that you have a several majors to choose from but they don't include engineering or medical majors (such as a nurse or doctor). You only have a select few majors to pick from if you have a goal in mind for your future.

Alright, I have two things to share: First, whatever you do, save all the money you can! :) College is full of adventures but in order to perform well and stay out of debt as much as possible, you want to be able to set aside some money for fun as well as school. Which brings up my another point- In order to get the most out of college you have to be able to know how to balance having fun and staying focused on school work. You will perform the best with both of these in your schedule so don't stay indoors studying all the time! ;) College is an adventure so treat it like one! It's not meant to be scary or nerve-racking, all you're doing is becoming an adult and learning how to act like one. So "have fun, take chances, make mistakes and get messy!" as Ms. Frizzle would always say. Go have a blast and be wise with your spending!

I love how this school is laided out and organized; it's easy to get to classes on time and everything is within walking distance. I also love that you have the opportunity to finish a bachelor's degree in 9semesters with a special track; you can graduate but also finish school in less time! :)

Brigham Young University-Hawaii administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.