Brigham Young University-Hawaii

« See more reviews of Brigham Young University-Hawaii

The worst aspect of Brigham Young University is the housing situation. On-campus housing is expensive, small, outdated, and their meal plans are not very accommodating. Also the off campus situation is not much better. Living off campus is cheaper; however, the living conditions are for the most part as outdated and run-down. There are no apartment complexes which force all the single students to live in houses that are lacking facilities such as full kitchens and laundry. Also the president of the school increased the student population without planning for more housing, which have caused housing shortages.

Founded in 1955 the school has faced several staged revitalization and improvement phases but due to its remote location and the cost of construction and materials the facilities and infrastructure leave much to be desired. There is also some aspects to the culture that limit the access students have to campus resources that are readily available to students on other campuses. While the small class sizes and accessibility of professors is amazing the small size of the University as a whole brings limits of scale and cross department innovation due to the limited number of programs and funding.

I would consider that the worst thing about my school is that there is a limited option of majors. I feel that if there were more majors available more kids would be willing and interested in staying and it would stop students from coming for only a year and then having to leave because the school doesn't offer their major or requirements. It is frustrating when the major you want is not offered because you have to leave a school you love attending, or you have to change your major and settle for something you don't particularly want.

The worst thing about my school is the strictness of the Honor Code. I don't mind it except that they do not allow basketball shorts or board shorts in the classrooms, or other facilities. I feel they should put forth more of their effort properly punishing those who are breaking the honor code in more drastic ways, such as having sex off-campus or going down-town to drink at the clubs. Those do not happen very often, but they are part of a contract that they agreed to follow. I feel their efforts/worries should be placed elsewhere.

The worst thing about my school is the laid-back "island attitude" that a lot of the students, faculty and staff seem to have. Because our campus is quite small, it seems that people have become comfortable with one another. Although in most situations this would be nice, it can lead to unprofessional work settings and many times I have found myself feeling frustrated with the lack of proficiency in the financial aid, registry, and student occupation system. However, this is only problem I have encountered while attending BYU-H.

The worst thing about my school would probably be BYU's Athletic Program. Although they have sports like Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball which was just established a few years ago, Women's Soccer and Cross Country, and may others to top it off, since BYU is suh a small but convienent school for me it does not hold a favorite sport of mine, Track and Field. If BYU-H had Track and Field team and maybe a lot more money distributed to the Athletics Program coming to BYU-H would be the best school suited for me.

The cost of living is very high and as international student from a third world country, i found it difficult to pay my tuition, and other expenses of the school and the assistance alloted unto me is not enough to support myself throughout the four year degree program.If you will assist me with Aid or Grant i would be please to honor such a privilege and use it to further my education.The knowledge that i will acquire to serve the community and the people. It is my honor to be part of this organization.Thank you

My least favorite part of campus would be the bathrooms in the dorms. The dorms are old. They aren't as clean as I would like them to be. To make a room appear cleaner than it is, one should start with the corners and edges of the walls. I don't think they have been washed well in years! On the weekends, the bathrooms don't get cleaned, so by Monday they are a disaster area. We need cleaner, updated facilities (where the pipes don't make scary noises) and different colored tiling on the walls. Please.

Brigham Young Universty campus is located in Laie, and is opposite of town. Its secluded and theres not much in Laie, and the local stores are too expensive. It cost money to take the bus to town and is really time consuming. It takes about an hour to get to the closest town that consist of any shopping area. The closest dentist is about 45 minutes away. It would be nice if BYUH is located where students can have easier access to stores, health centers, and places that are walking distance.

Well, a lot of students would say this, they hate eating at the cafeteria. I really didn't think about it at first, I actually thought the food was good considering that I was from a different country. But when time went by, I saw what everybody meant by it being horrible. It wasn't how it tasted by the way, it was just the food itself. They would serve the same kinds of food over and over again that you would get tired of it and won't like eating the same kind of cooking and same dish anymore.