Brigham Young University-Hawaii

« See more reviews of Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Brigham Young University Hawaii (BYUH) has three great things worths every one to come for studying. First, Aloha spirit. Second, Integrity. Third, Opportunity. In BYUH, students are from more than twenty-six countries. It is the best place to learn different cultures and languages. For example, culture night is hosted every year in winter semester. Not only Aloha spirit, but also Integrity. A church school emphasis integrity on academic and personal attribute. Honor Code department is set for the purposes. Furthermore, leadership opportunities are provided by school's organization as Brigham Young University Hawaii Student Assiociation. BYUHSA recuits members to join their planned activities and events. Everyone is a leader on their part of jobs. Next, Job opportunities around the campus is to raise the capacity of students' ability, and help students reduce their finacial burdens. Finally, the new language as Japanese I learned, Korean loves eating KimChee in every day meals that I knew, honest on my academic study and living standard that I keep, chance to attend student body conference at Maui with different Universities that I experienced, gain skills to hold an acitivity and interact different countries people are all can find from Brigham Young University Hawaii.

As I have attended Brigham Young University Hawaii, I have learned several important things, such as educational knowledge, beauty of variety, and leadership principles. First, I have learned English efficiently from the expellant English teaching program of the school. Since there have been many international students from the establishment of this school, for several decades, school has tried many ways of efficient English teaching skills. In addition, I had an opportunity to learn the leadership principle. Since 2009 spring term, I have served as a Korean Club president. There are about 125 members in our club, and I tried to share Korean culture by preparing several cultural activities. In the process of serving as a club president, I learned how to work with others and how to motivate people to have positive thinking in doing club activities and to be a good student. I realize that working with others is very difficult; but it is extremely valuable. Finally, by being in the various cultural people, I realize that there are many wonderful cultures in the world and the different cultures make the world more wonderful. I indeed have felt joy and happiness from learning different cultures.

Attending Brigham Young University-Hawaii has allowed me to acquire the knowledge needed for many things including simple, everyday things, to big events and accomplishments. For example, on March 14, 2010, I competed in a beauty pageant that not only judged on outer beauty, but also inner beauty and pureness of the heart. I had earned and was awarded the title Young Miss Hawaiian Island Beauty, the highest title within my age category. I have also accomplished many other things since attending BYU-Hawaii like making the Dean's List, auditioning and becoming a theater PCC night show dancer, participated in many cultural club activities gaining cultural knowledge from this university that has students from over 70 different countries, and above all, I have achieved a stronger testimony within the church along with fulfilling my church calling. Along with all these things that I have accomplished, I have learned to not only become more independent, but to manage and prioritize my time between earing a great GPA, work, dance, activities, and school. My college experience has been one of a chaos and excitment, in which I have learned much, both in the classroom and in everday experiences.

Preparing me for life. That is what attending college is currently doing for me. With classes, majors, and degrees aside, I am earning skills that will allow me to navigate through the difficult maze we know as daily life. Understanding and overcoming the complexities of financial difficulties. Learning what the word "sacrifice" really means, as I fight the natural urge to satisfy personal desire in order to accomplish a higher goal...school, work, study, service. Sacrifices that prepare us to be able to balance life between school, family, religion, work, friends and personal desires. Developing relationships with others around you and then working together to accomplish a common goal. Its not always "what" you know that will help you progress in life but more often "who" you know. Asking the right questions and negotiating within a study group when a difference of opinion emerges. It's not just the degree or the amount of class material you retain. These "secondary" skills are often key elements in the success of our future. They often allow us to appy the degree and class material in the real world. And such preparation for life, to me, is invaluable.

If I could go back in time, and advise myself about college and the major transitions that accompany college life, I would tell myself to develop a habit of study. Being able to find a balance between the daily demands of life (laundry, cooking, cleaning), school work (studying, learning, taking tests, researching), and social activities (dating, serving others, making friends) is one of the hardest aspects of the "transition" to conquer. Also, I would tell myself that any dream can come true if I am willing to work hard and keep my eyes on the goal. I would advise myself to focus on other people rather than solely thinking and planning for myslef and my future plans. There is much more good that comes from serving others and looking outward than will ever come from being self absorbed and single-minded. I have found that when I put others before myself, everything works out for the better. Do not forget about your dream, but strive to reach it through unselfish, society enhancing means. Finally, I would tell myself that the future is full of wonderful opportunities; be excited! Be courageous and remember that optimism is the key to success.

First experiences aren?t always good. Attending a community college that doesn't have a good reputation doesn't help either. However, El Camino College isn?t like every other community college. I've seen this school gradually grow every year. I began attending El Camino about one year ago and even though it looked intimidated at first, I was able to learn and get used to the school. The students there are friendly and good people and the professors are tough, but helpful. The staff and professors offer their help to students that need assistance. The school offers student services for students who require help. Aside from the services I've enjoyed my experiences at El Camino College. I thought it would be difficult returning to school after my military experience. El Camino's student and veteran services has opened their arms for me. Their help is something I appreciate and value. They helped my transition into civilian life. El Camino has opened my eyes into the world of education again. It is an eerie and scary feeling starting school, especially after four years of absence. El Camino helped me overcome that fear and enjoy school all over again.

From my experience here at Brigham Young University Hawaii I have gained all the "standard" benefits of the college experience. I have received a good education, counsel for the future, friendship, networking, and even a wife. However, the most valuable thing that I have gained from my college experience, besides my wife, is a better perspective of what this world can be. Here at BYUH we have an extremely culturally diverse student body. I have made friends from literally all over the world. I have been able to overcome any and all stereotypes that I adopted growing up. I have seen firsthand the need for different cultures and different perspectives when finding a solution to a problem. I have learned how to accept the similarities in all people and to respect our differences. I am studying to become a high school biology teacher and although the lessons I have learned and will learn from textbooks and proffessors are important for my future career, the most helpful lesson that I have learned is that everybody, no matter their background, has the potential to be great. As a teacher and a human being I must always remember that lesson above all else.

Sacrifice. I would teach myself all about the techniques of sacrifice and how I could potentially use the practice to my benefit. As a younger college student I didn't fully appreciate the concept of sacrifice, or giving up one thing with the hopes of receiving something else. I thought I knew, but truly I did not. I needed to be educated about the benefits of sacrificing time on the weekends and investing greater amounts of energy into assignments that I previously assumed were simpler than they really were. In actuality I wasted too much time enjoying myself, my friends, and my surroundings when I could have been storing up benefits to reap later on. The idea of sacrificing time and energy to assignments and study is very unappealing to younger students. When coupled with the assurance that yes, one will still have some allotted recreational time, and additionally given the ultimate profits of a scholarship-earning GPA and graduation with a degree, the concept of sacrifice is easier to swallow. College isn't all work and no play, but neither is it vice versa. College is sacrifice, and sacrifice is balance. That is my advice to self, thank you.

College life is full of adventure, fun, knowlege, experiences, and descions which build character and help you find who you really are or want to become. College is a whole different level then high school. In going into college, first of you should be ready for change and have the attitude of being ready to take on a new challenge. If at times you fail or fall, never give up, pick your self up and keep moving forward. Remember no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes but learn from the ones you have made in highschool, and always strive towards being better. Always push yourself beyond your ability because you have more potential than you think you. Be responible, repectful, on time, and do not procrastinate. Its important to be honest, true, and hold integrity. In transitioning JUST BE YOU!! despite what anyone thinks. Dont be scared, try new things, but stay true to yourself. Surround yourself with good people and good friends.Dont blame others for your mistakes but take it upon yourself to see that you make things right. Be an attentive listener, responsible doer, and strive to be a student leader. Despite anything JUST BE YOU!!!!

First off, get out of your "bubble." Go to a homeless shelter, reach out and befriend others who are not necessarily like you, experience diversity, and be the inviter not the invited. You need to start realizing what the real world is actually like. You may not realize it now but you have been pretty sheltered throughout your whole life, contrary to what you may believe there are people out there struggling with drug and alcohol addictions, families that are broken, and people who literally live on the street because they have no money. Learn to associate with those people and realize that most of them are good people; they just need help to get back on the right path. Secondly, focus more on your relationship with your family than on friends, school, or extra-curricular activities. Family will be there for you your whole life while on the other hand, friends leave, schooling stops, and you get too old to continue those hobbies. The stronger your relationship with your family is, the happier you will be. And lastly, stay strong and know your values and beliefs. There will come a time very soon that they will be challenged.