Brigham Young University-Hawaii

« See more reviews of Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Before arriving I would have liked to better understand how to transport my belongings in a better fashion from the main island to Hawaii, as well as a lesson on personal extermination of little critters! In honesty, I wish that someone took time to encouraged me to get involved with clubs and all the different activities that continually go on. Being a part of the special school spirit the Brigham Young University Hawaii has to offer is uniquely special as you blend different cultures and backgrounds in uniting for one purpose, a higher education.

When you think about the friendly, laid back spirit that encompasses the culture of Hawaii, it's hard to imagine that a campus that is deep in the heart of Hawaii would be anything different. And although BYU-h is extremely friendly, welcoming, and in many ways remains laid back, the professors definately demand a level of dedication that requires more than attendance. So I wish I had been more prepared for the amount of study, research, and ultimatley time that is required to do well here at Brighamn Young University-Hawaii.

I wish I would have known more about it's diverse cultural differences. It is so exciting to me to be at a relatively small campus but still have seventy countries respresented in the student body. I feel that if I had recognized what a multi-cultural experience that BYU Hawaii offers, I would have considered it more strongly than I did for the last year as I prepared for college. I am very grateful that I took the time to research BYU Hawaii and the things that it provides. I feel that I can get a strong education there.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is one of the most international schools in the country. Despite knowing this prior to arriving to campus, I didn't expect to experience culture shock. Learning to work and study alongside students from Hong Kong, Korea, Mexico, Russia, etc took understanding and more patience than I had anticipated. I wish I had known more about the shock that would come (both from the sheer number of international students, as well as from the Hawaiian culture) and be prepared to experience it.

I wish I had known the reality of island fever. Being on an island, an ocean away from family, can be tough sometimes- especially during the holiday season if you do not get the chance to fly home and see them during those times. I also wish I had known the lack of respect from the Financial Services office towards students. If I had known this, I would have put more responsibility on myself to get information about financial aid, rather than trying to ask the unexperienced workers in the Financial Aid office.

I wish I had known how remote and secluded this school was. I also wish I had been more involved in clubs and church activities. Both provide good opportunities for socialization, meeting new people, and providing expression of diversity. This school is the most culturally diverse institution in North America, and although many people (especially freshmen) can fall into the trap of sticking mainly with friends of the same culture, it is worth it to branch out and meet new people from all over the world.

I wish I had known how strict the rules are at BYUH. I was not completely prepared for a 12 midnight curfew or 24-hour dresscode for example. Besides the strict rule system, I think it would have also been beneficial to know of the huge diversity on this campus. There are students from all over the world which makes school a lot more interesting. I also would have liked to know that the campus is on the countryside of O'ahu, so it takes at least 45 minutes to drive to the nearest mall and town area.

I recently finished the Winter semester at BYU- Idaho, and will be attending BYU- Hawaii this fall. One thing I wished I would have known before I went to school in Idaho was how to use my time more wisely. As the school year began, I found myself struggling to keep everything organized. Although I ended up doing very well in my classes, I started off on a bit of a slow note due to my lack of writing down all the things i needed to do during the day, and during the week. Being organized helps a ton.

I wished to know about my school's enviroment, activities, and student body before I attend Brigham Young University Hawaii. I got a student bulletin before I arrived Hawaii. Also, I wished to work with student body that now I'm working in a department related to student body. Also, what the school mission statement ? and what does it means? All those I checked up school website and found out. Basically, the school has enough information online to interpret all school facilities and service.

When I applied to this school I was already attending another college. If there was one thing I wish I would have known about this school before is how much I would love it. If I’d known that beforehand I would have applied here from the beginning. This school is the exact thing I was looking for being an Elementary Education major the program is amazing I love being able to work towards teaching the next generation while getting to know Hawaiian culture at the same time.