Brigham Young University-Hawaii Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Brigham Young University-Hawaii

Autumn

Is it an enriching and uplifting environment where we are immersed in a diverse representation of cultures. The education goes beyond the classroom, and we develop ourselves and our character. The school is set up in a way that helps us reach our potential as people and be a positive influence in the world. The north shore is beautiful. But it’s a small town with not much to do, town is a long bus ride away if you don’t have a car.

Abigail

BYU-Hawaii is an amazing school. It represents over 70 different countries and cultures. You meet people from all over, creating connections you wouldn't be able to at any other place. It's a small campus where you are able to get from one side to the next in under 10 minutes. Class sizes are small, so you are able to know your professor personally and obtain the help needed. They care about each student, that they do well academically, but also learn appropriate behavior for the world. The purpose is to send out graduated students who will make a positive impact on the world.

Very safe campus, lots of cool beaches and hikes nearby, awesome professors with small class sizes.

Lok Ki

Besides Brigham Young University-Hawaii, none of the school in the Stated has that dramatic number of the international student. Students are came from different parts of the world; for example, they are from Africa, Australia, British, Canada, China, France, Fiji, German, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, and Tongan etc. People learn different cultures from each others and be friends with each. Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a place to build peace for the world. Besides that reason, I like the small class in this school. Teacher can provide students' need one by one; as the student ask, the teachers answer. As students always ask questions, they will learn a lot, especially in this school. The school do not have a lot of resources for student to learn; however, the teachers are willing to help and their best to students.

Failetasi

I love this school not only that it's a safe learning environment it's also a school that appreciates the diversity and values of each individual. I find Brigham Young University-Hawaii a place where it can nurture myself to more appreciative of getting a quality education.

Toni

If you want an environment where you can learn, serve and grow, this is a great school. It is incredibly diverse culturally, students are from all around the world, class sizes are small and there's an Aloha spirit all over town, a spirit of love and respect.

Kulia

Iʻm currently enrolling in BYUH, and have visited the campus a number of times. Canʻt wait to go there!

Toby

BYU-Hawaii is a good university to attend if you like small classes, a small campus, and small living quarters. Teachers are great nonetheless; however, if you're not from a small town, I advise that you really think about attending BYU-Hawaii. Biggest perk is that you are close to the ocean for all you surfing or snorkeling fanatics. BYU-Hawaii is very secluded from shops and restaurants; it takes about an hour to reach Honolulu which has most of the stores that anyone would normally travel less than 10 minutes for. BYU-Hawaii has multiple opportunities for students to find part time jobs since the Polynesian Cultural Center is just a 5 minute walk from campus.

D

BYU- Hawaii is a great, diverse school. Students are from all around the world which gives you opportunities to learn about different cultures. The campus is expanding and the new hales (dorms) are really nice. There is a nearby grocery store that everybody shops at, and the beach is a 5 minute walk.

Arlene

Attending Brigham Young University - Hawaii (BYU-H) has been a wonderful experience. When I decided to obtain a degree, I decided that I need a school that has high quality education, as well as high quality morals. In order to become a good person and a contributing member of society, you need to surround yourself with like-minded people. The cherry on top is that you are going to school in paradise!

Saeyoung

We are enthusiastic! We are awesome! We are always opened! The best school for international students!

david

Brigham Young University Hawaii is a great place to go to school. Class sizes are small, teachers are always willing to help. Best part of the school is how diverse it is. There are so many students from other countries you get a rich taste. Of course there are the beautiful beaches and hikes all around the school.

Parker

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is the perfect college for someone looking for a beautiful location, spiritual atmosphere, internationally diverse student body, and small town feel. It is within walking distance of the beach, the LDS temple, and several beautiful hikes. Public transportation is available to visit other places on the island, including Honolulu and the North Shore. The quality of academics varies by department, with the Business, Hospitality and Tourism, and Pre-med Biology among the most respected programs on campus. Improvements are being made to on campus facilities, with brand new dorms, a new business building, and a redesigned cafeteria. It's a great place to study and live!

Alexia

Brigham Young is the most amazing place to learn and live. It feels as if I'm learning at the hands of God within the walls of the Garden of Eden, Everything here takes my breathe away, and fills my head with thoughts and ideas that make my soul burn bright.

Erin

The whole community is small town modest charm. But I loved that I could walk every where and find a cheap place to live off campus, there are always activities and events going on and everyone one is tan and glorious and love to be adventurous with hiking and biking. Even the professors. It's a amazing place to go to school and you will never go hungry or be bored. My highest recommendation.

Meg

I visited BYU Hawaii just last week and let me tell you I love it. The campus is rather small, but it gives it more of a homey feel and the counselors were so helpful in answering my questions. Also the new housing is incredibly nice and they have the degree I need

Madison

Brigham Young University-Hawai'i is a wonderful school with amazing cultural opportunities. The students are respectful and intelligent and the social scene is very accepting and welcoming. The campus activities are frequent, appropriate, and well-attended. BYU-Hawai'i and employed an amazing, intelligent, and talented staff with very personable professors and councilors who are always willing to spend quality time with individual students to further understanding. The students are held to a higher standard of morals, intelligence, and service and everyone willingly, and happily comply with the raised bar. Brigham Young University is an environment where all encouraged to 'come to learn, and go forth to serve' in their communities and around the world. I have learned so much from BYU-H both inside and outside of the classroom and I am proud to be a Seasider.

I have been at Brigham Young University Hawaii for the past 2 semesters living in on campus housing and I absolutely have had the greatest college experience being here. Our professors are always accessible, the class sizes as fairly small and manageable, and honestly the school attracts that most diverse and loving group of students you could ask for. We also have the perks of living on the North Shore of Hawaii where the best extracurricular activities go on, like surfing and surf competitions, some of the most amazing beaches and water in the world, and you have the city just an hour away. If you are looking for an amazing school consider Brigham Young University Hawaii

Dylan-Sage

BYU-Hawaii is the foremost culturally diverse university in the nation. With it's unique atmosphere and emphasis on students becoming leaders internationally; BYU-Hawaii offers an environment in which any one may achieve his or her highest academic goals.

Chimako N

Aloha from the island of Oahu, Hawaii. Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a wonderful school. The class sizes are smaller so you have the opportunity to get to know your professors. There are always activities that students can participate in every day! The basketball games are always filled with spirit and everyone always go to support the Sider boys! Being here at BYUH, you learn about the different cultures from the Pacific Islands, Asian countries, and other students from the mainland. Being a student here at BYUH, you get the chance to work at the Polynesian Cultural Center, PCC, and meet different people from all over the world. As you all know, BYUH is a private church school so majority of the students are of the LDS faith. It's great to be surrounded by people of the same faith. Unfortunately, we don't have sorority/fraternity groups, but we have different clubs and associations that we can join to mingle with people! BYUH is amazingly fun and plus, there is a beach right across the street!

Maggie

BYU-Hawaiia is a fantastic school! I have loved every second here on campus, at the beach and at the local religious centers. Teachers are always available for helping students, clubs and organizations are focused on students and getting them involved and meeting new people. This campus has a relaxed feeling to it, you're still expected to be your best and to do what is asked of you, but (most of the time) its nothing too stressful a day at the beach can't fix!

Gavin

the school places an extreme emphasis on matriculating students as quickly and as cheaply as possible. because of this programs are difficult and compressed but lacking in content. The religious element is good for members of its religion but often clouds the material and does not allow for the exploration of topics. The business department is new and well supported but nearly all other departments are marginalised. outside of school, the community is small and the local culture is pleasant, outdoor and cultural activities abound but nightlife is nonexistent beyond a small movie theatre.

Camille

I love it here. It's beautiful, the professors are so nice and helpful, there is so much diversity, and there are beaches and hikes nearby. The only drawbacks are that the nearest bigger city is far away and the on campus housing is not the best (old and not super well maintained).

Autumn

Most people get lost in daydreams of sunbathing with warm sun on their back and a cool ocean breeze kissing their face when I mention that I go to BYU Hawaii. Dream come true, right? When I arrived on campus, I realized it was very different than what I had imagined. Yes, you live in Hawaii. The beaches are beautiful and within walking distance. What I failed to anticipate is that the campus is located in a small town with little to do. The campus itself is very small has few options for recreation. There is no accessible Starbucks or Chick-Fill-A. The cafeteria is nothing to drool about. The dorms are not air conditioned. There are no sporting events to attend. But on the beachy side, the Polynesian Cultural Center is a wonderful place to embrace the unique culture that takes your Hawaii experience to a whole new level. The people are amazing and you become acquainted with people from diverse backgrounds. There is no shortage of outdoor adventures within reach. Overall, I love my school. It is a different experience that what I had envisioned, but I love the laid back culture and breezy atmosphere. It would be hard to find something like what you have here.

Koa

I enjoy going to school here. The class sizes are smaller and make it great for learning and interacting with the professors. There are many resources here on campus. It is also very diverse giving an opportunity to learn about other cultures. Because of the honor code here, students don't participate in drinking or doing drugs, this provides a great opportunity for learning, with a focus on self progression. It is a great campus.

Lorna

I will be attending BYU Hawaii though I have not yet been there. I know a lot about it and have talked to some of the teachers and students who are teaching there or who have attended the school. It think it is a very unique school with special goals for its students to influence the world for good. I have heard very good things about the school. I am consistently told I will love it.

Kilisi

I love Brigham Young University- Hawaii. It is such a diverse place to grown and learn. There are so many different peoples and cultrures represented on such a small campus, that you can meet and become friends with people from Korea, Brazil, and Germany in just one day! The people are friendly, the class size is small, and the teacher-to-student relationship is very personal. I consider myself very lucky to participate in the activities and learn here. Who knew that one small island could bring so many different people together?

Leilanie

I love the campus, culture, and academics that Brigham Young University has to offer. The only complaints I would have would be the on campus housing, as it is incredibly small and uncomfortable and the fact that you are basically in the middle of nowhere.

Mana

Wonderful school that allows a lot of growth and improvement. You are able to make a lot of connections and stay connected with those people. The school allows good spiritual and educational learning opportunities. The professors allow time and effort for growth and learning.

Kahiau

I love this school ! It is a diverse university where you learn about what you would love to do in the future, but also about different ethics. People are really welcoming and the teachers are really good at being there for their students. The only thing is that, it's Hawaii, so it's super hot and humid, but the beach is there for whenever you want to.

Michaela

I absolutely LOVE BYUH. If it wasn't for particular circumstances then I would have graduated from there. The school is so diverse and welcoming to any ethnicity. What more can you ask for then the beach down the road and not to mention that beautiful temple. It truly is my second home.

Melissa

My overall opinion is that this school is absolutely amazing. Its so diverse and welcoming to all different cultures. I love being there because I get to meet people from all over the world. All the professors are friendly and willing to help whenever we need it. I love being at this school. It's beautiful and there's a spirit there that just makes this school a better and safer place. Even though we don't have sports teams anymore, we still find ways to have fun. We put on fun group activities like canoe racing and intermural sports games. It is such a fun environment and I love my opportunity I have to be here at BYU Hawaii.

Jordan

Do not attend this college! I have gone to school here for two years because the tuition was cheap. This has been a nightmare and not worth the stress and punishment the school inflicts on its students with its "honor code" and security services. If you are looking for your basic human rights to be taken away than this is the college for you. BYU-Hawaii discourages individualism and will severally punish students that standout in any way. If you do not attend the LDS church services you will automatically receive a failing grade in all classes regardless if you have done all of your work. When looking to transfer, most colleges would not accept credits from BYUH. It is also difficult to get a job with a degree from this university. Most higher paying jobs will not take you seriously with a degree from here. The security at this school is ridiculous. For a small campus with hardly over a thousand or so students, there are over 100 security officers that receive incentives for catching students "violating" the honor code. If you are a student and aware of someone violating the honor code you will be sent home if they find out. They can also access your social media and follow you off campus to make sure you are following the honor code. Regardless if there is an incident before you attended this college or if it happened off campus, the university reserves the right to punish you for anything. Save yourself the pain and trouble and apply for University of Hawaii or Windward Community College if you really want to attend college in Hawaii.

Luafalealii

I love it, I feel like home and I feel safe all the time. If I have a friend who is looking for a college to go to, I will highly recommended this college to go to even the parents will be more happier to let their daughter who is just graduated from college to go here.

Dannah

In my personal experience I think the people and the professors there are wonderful, and the level of education for major courses is excellent. I do feel however their GE classes need to be a little more rigorous or more helpful and applicable to future careers. Also the school should update some of their policies, procedures, and websites. Lastly I think the school needs to do better on approval of off campus housing and making sure students are living in acceptable environments.

Jaykant Hemark

It's a really good school! Plus, you can have the privilege of being with people coming from over 70 nations of the world! Everyone is really nice and the "Aloha" spirit is very evident. The Faculty really cares for the students and they always look out for students' needs.

Katie

I have never in my life seen so many cockroaches as I have at Brigham Young University-Hawaii. Neither have I met so many people with so many cultural backgrounds as I have in this town of Laie. BYU-Hawaii is possibly one of the less effective colleges I have ever visited. Academic counselors seem to roll their eyes when a student comes in to ask for help, and any sort of problem that includes more than one person to solve seems to take more than a week to resolve. However, I have never felt more excited to go to work, which happens to be an amusement park. For over a year, I worked as a Japanese tour guide at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I had never worked for the tourist industry before, but the people and the energy and the coworkers continually gave me joy and a deep love for the Center. BYU-Hawaii does not have the best classes or majors. It is not a large school, or very well known. All of the dorms have cockroaches, no matter how new. However, we are a 10 minute walk to the beach, we enjoy over 80 different cultures on our campus, and we are a ohana in our language, love, and respect.

BYUH is an amazing school. The students are here to learn and the teachers are here to help students succeed. It's expensive living in Hawaii, but the school tries to provide reasonably priced housing for students. The isn't any drinking, drugs, or alcohol. It's a great learning environment.

Skye

The University is wonderful. It is extremely diverse and the multicultural program is splendid. There are plenty of work opportunities and students value their education since many of them are there on scholarship. People are very social and the classes are engaging.

Aaron

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is an amazing place where you can grow as a person and student. There are great people and professors who want to see you succeed in life. Its very diverse, there are people from all over the world who are seeking a better life and a better education. By far the best part is that the best beaches in the world are across the street from campus.

Hoang Lan

Brigham Young University Hawaii is a beautiful place. It really does complete the Hawaiian life. It is small just like our little island of Oahu. It is very diverse. Being there enabled me to meet people from countries I never really though about. And not just friends but life long friendships were created. I can say that I have a best friend from Hong Kong. The campus is small, but just enough for a university experience. Although we don't have a sports program anymore, we still have spirit! Our intramural sports are strong. And we have huge festivities to celebrate our different cultures. BYU Hawaii is small but mighty. You don't get the college life or parties and drinking or losing your virginity early. It is a safe place. Where all try their very very best to live to the highest standards. Sometimes people complain that our standards are too strict. But I found that the standards are inspired. They are they to keep us safe and give us the best college experience possible.

Max

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a diverse school and has students from all over the world. There is always a conversation to be started with all students. There are not enough student housing for all the students. There are married student housing, but again there is a wait list for these students. A plus side, there are a lot of opportunities for students to work on campus. This provides a way of income for all students and the school is very strict about not working over a certain hours. I am grateful to be able to attend this school, and there sense of purpose just walking around on campus.

Tanner

This school is rich in culture and opportunity. If you want to achieve it, someone here will help. The school has excellent teachers who want you to succeed. You will rarely feel unwelcomed because of the aloha spirit that everyone enjoys. There are also many great opportunities to meet with companies for internships and future job offers.

Brigham Young University-Hawaii is a diverse campus where education is important and differences are embraced. The professors know their students by name and usually are willing to work with students one on one if needs be. There are many employment opportunities available on campus. Students are held to high standards of conduct which foster in a focus on studies and wholesome recreation. All who attend school there feel part of a family, and it makes the normal stresses of university bearable and enjoyable.

I absolutely love it! Without this school I would be lost as to getting an education! The family vibe of the students really relieved my stress and enriched my learning. Also the lie student to staff ratio helped me have more one on one experiences so I felt I was getting what I payed out of school. The teachers are almost always willing to help you better understand the discussions and material and will help you progress

Elijah

BYU-Hawaii is far more different than I had originally thought it would be. When I walked onto the campus, I was certainly tired from the plane ride, but i was also elated and felt so much friendliness from the locals. David O. McKay, who founded this school, had a vision for the future, that this college would be more than a college; that it could be an environment where peoples of all races and cultures could gather together and live in peace and harmony. Every day, I'm meeting people from all over the world, from Samoa, Japan, Norway, etc. You just never know what stories you'll find here. There are of course social cliques, but that is to be expected. It's honestly impossible to escape those no matter where you are. The work is hard, but I really do feel the love throughout each day I am here. I would rate my experience at this school as overall positive.

Mark

It is a remarkable school. The culture and opportunities here are like no other. If you want culture and experiences like no other, come to BYUH. Be that as it may, this isn't a party school, do not come for that kind of life. Come to learn, come to have fun, come to be something more than you are.

Kaitlyn

BYU-Hawaii provides a unique atmosphere for learning. With students from over 70 different countries and a large focus on diversity and culture, I left the university with a new view of the world. Your education is well-rounded, founded in academic learning, social interactions, cultural exploration, and of course being located in Hawaii, a great appreciation for nature and the world around you. The student body is small allowing for smaller class sizes and more one-on-one learning. I was able to cater my education and degree to exactly my needs. The faculty were so supportive of my goals and aspirations, and they were highly qualified. The campus is safe, the students all know each other, and the sense of community is beyond description. It's an amazing school built to educate students looking to go out into and change the world.

Toni

It's a small school on the island of Oahu, filled with the Aloha spirit. It's easy to feel like a family and have much-needed support during your academic journey. I love small classroom sizes and appreciate being around others who share similar values to me, as well as the diverse cultures the school has accumulated from all over the world. It is truly a unique academic experience.

Payton

It is a gorgeous campus. I am hoping to go in 2021. The campus is small so your professors care and know about you. There is a beach close and the Temple. There are several places to work that are within walking distance as well. The students are diverse and super friendly. It is a great school.