Brigham Young University-Idaho Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Brigham Young University-Idaho

Aaron

They are a very safe and academic focused school. I would recommend this school to anybody who wants to grow as a person and have an amazing time with great people. This school changes life’s for the better. It is very cheap compared to other universities. Choosing to attend Brigham Young University-Idaho was one of the best decisions I’ve made so far.

Emma

Brigham Young University-Idaho is an awesome school. If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it is very nice to be surrounded by people of the same faith and similar values. The school and town are rather small, which feels safer to me than a big city. But even though it's small, there are a lot of things you can do. There are a lot of options for classes, too, and the teachers are kind and supportive.

Matthew

The school is a great school. The Professors for the most part are very good and a lot of fun to learn with. There normally are lots of opportunities for help outside of class from other students and professors. The down side of the school is the administration. The school has been going through accreditation problems for the last several years and have been making major changes to some majors without notifying students or giving compensation. There was a conglomerate of students that nearly sued the school a year ago due to having an entire semester added to their degree that they were now needing to pay for. This has been the rolling problem with the school for the last 3 years across several degrees.

Daisy

I really enjoy BYU-I. This is a great school which will not only teach, and prepare you fo your major, but you also get to learn more about Christ. We are able to have a very religious school which creates a great environment! There are lots of students here, and there are always fun things to do, and new people to meet! Everyone is so kind and the professors are almost always available. I love this school and highly suggest it. Only thing I don’t love is the location. Rexburg, Idaho is really cold during the winter. There is a lot of winter sports to do, but that doesn’t take away from the coldness.

Phoenix

I think this school is a good fit for those who want to focus on education without having to compete with everyone around them. I know Brigham Young University- Utah is known for being a lot more competitive. I think this school is a nice contrast because there is still quality education, but you don't have the stress of fighting for the top spot. There is less pressure to compete, but still a good push in your education. I also think the campus is beautiful and there are a lot of opportunities to socialize and explore. I have been here for five semesters so far and I love it.

Melissa

I love this school! It has such a wonderful spirit about it. Everyone is kind and willing to help. The professors are amazing and always available when you need them. There’s a lot of student activities as well. Everything is close to campus so you don’t have to worry too much about a car. There are a lot of food places and a little strip mall. A bigger town is just a 30 minute drive away and there are so many fun parks! I love it!

Erica

Brigham Young University is a great place to obtain a quality education. The professors put in a lot of time into making sure that each student understands the concepts that are taught. There are students from all over the world that attend this university which make it fun when making friends because we get to learn about their culture and lives. I would recommend this school to everyone because of the environment, education, and the tuition cost.

Laura

I really like it here other than it being a small town in a little to do if you do not have a car. My professors are almost always nice and accessible even on the weekends and are more than willing to work with you on your grades. I personally have disability services through the school and have never once had a professor be less than nice about it. Even though it is a religious school the student body is unique and there is a lot of talent to be found here as well as different types of people.

Vickie

Love it here! The professors are caring and students are sincerely interested in education. Small class size and tutoring help is available if needed. The campus is beautiful and there is a good choice of off campus housing. I would highly recommend this college.

John

I love the campus a lot, there are a few odd-balls here or there, but overall it's a GREAT experience! Honestly I believe the professors are the best I've ever had, (I've been to a few college campuses and met various professors), and they're great. I would highly recommend BU-Idaho for those who want to learn and meet good people!

Leah

There are definitely ups and down to this school. Tuition is more than fair and for the most part the classes are well taught with a curriculum that is relevant and easy to learn when you apply yourself. I do find that there is a divide, some people are relaxed and can source and validate their opinions and stances, and some people are so wildly and willfully ignorant that they will do anything to put you 'in your place'. It can be hard like any college but for a religious college I think there is the added struggle of some people trying to hide their racism, sexism, and downright bigotry behind a 'religion' that in truth- demonizes those same things. The honor code is held up in a flimsy way at times when we look at it like that. There will be full action taken against you for wearing something 'too tight' when someone thinner than you is wearing the same outfit, while people sneaking into other apartments to have sex are the ones reporting your outfit for being inappropriate. Be prepared for anything at this school because it's really a grab bag.

Breya

Overall I really love this school. There is a great atmosphere and the professors for the most part genuinely want to see you do well and do all that they can to help you. There are a lot of rules with the honor code and that is both good and bad. It's kind of like the strict parents create sneaky kids scenariol

It is the best school I have been to. If you are looking for an environment where you actually feel supported and loved by everyone (including teachers) then it is the perfect school for you!! Anyone who wants to gain different views on religion as well.

Allie

I love the school. It's a one-on-one atmosphere where the teachers care about the students and the students care about learning. There will always be those students who don't want to be there and do dumb things, but it's that way in life. I love being a student there because of the social atmosphere and the people that I am surrounded with.

This is a really great school with many friendly people and professors. The school is really good at ensuring the best education is available to all students and there are plenty of opportunities to socialize on campus. It may be difficult to adjust to the trimester system at first and the Honor Code. But the Honor Code at the same time ensures that no one has to deal with drunk parties or drugs on campus.

Joshua

This is the greatest school to attend. The education is incredible and the professors are focused on your success. It is also very cheap for the high education you get. All the students are kind, wholesome, and loving. Could not hope to find a better school.

Roilda

I love it. The professor here are amazing and really helpful. They know you by your name and you feel like kinda famous haha ... I am not thinking of getting transfer at all. I am enjoying every day here and I am really grateful I was able to study here.

Isabel

The school is not a bad school academically. The art department is lacking, but still pretty good. The religious environment is pretty strict and you will get kicked out if you violate the honor code. The housing is actually really nice . They don't have regular dorms, all of their housing is apartment style.

Jamie

I would say it is great in the classrooms and professors. The classrooms are small and very open, with many different teaching styles. If you need help professors are there and they are very understanding. I have a rough time with the way the school is set up. It is a private school which seems to be run by students. I wish they had more straight answers in the way of administration. But it is a beautiful and fun school. Great classes, lots to do, and high morals. There is also many school activities that are cheap, if not free, and help you stay active.

Sara

Brigham Young University is an average sized university of almost 20,000 students on campus every semester. It is located in a small town and about 45 minutes away from Yellowstone National Park. The average class size is about 18:1. It is really nice that your professors have all worked in the work force for the classes they teach in addition to knowing you personally. There is a very welcoming presence on campus. There is a city wide curfew of midnight, which honestly is nice to not have people over all the time. There is a standard of conduct that is strictly enforced. I enjoyed my time there, but I felt trapped without a car. The nearest city is about 30 minutes away.

Trevor

I feel Brigham Young University-Idaho is a well rounded Campus that provides an excellent Education and is a safe place for Students to learn and be themselves. Quality Education that is inexpensive helps those who may not have decided to attend College choose to further their education.

Paige

I love it at BYUI! The staff and students are all so kind and helpful. BYUI has a very safe and friendly atmosphere. The professors actually care about their students and try to get to know them. The education is first rate and tuition is affordable. I have learned so much and grown so much as a person since I began attending BYUI.

Suzannah

It is a beautiful campus with a wonderful spirit. There are so many activities produced by the school, and the teachers encourage socializing and friendship. It is very easy to fit in and it is extremely comfortable. The weather can be a little odd, but the town has just enough to keep you busy and entertained, and the academics are very helpful and challenging.

Autumn

I love it here! I feel welcome and comfortable. I love that I am at a religious school. I love our schools honor code and we feel the freedom from the small guidelines. I know my teachers and they know who I am. I have a personal tutor that is free, I have had an easy time getting my accommodations settled with my learning disability.

Although my major is a bit misleading because what I am actually study is never an option, I have found my course of study at BYU-I to be the best place for me to be. It is a unique and unparalleled experience. The teachers know your name, there are friendly people everywhere, and opportunities and sources of help anywhere and anytime you might need them. If you come to BYU-I with an open mind and a willingness to grow then the innovative culture and spirit will enhance your college experience and leave you a better, more creative and inspired person in the end; I guarantee it!

amber

BYU-Idaho is an incredible enviroment that offers a wide range of academic, social, culture, and spiritual opportunities for one to grow and test themself to find the many gifts and talents they have been given. It is a place centered on personal as well as helping others grow.

Mariah

I love the feel of the campus. There really is "a spirit of Ricks" here, and it shows. Students are kind and helpful. While we do have a few bad apples (who doesn't?), there is usually no judgement about it. We all make mistakes, guys and gals. There's even an abundance of things to do outside of class. There's dancing, game nights, performances, workshops, D&D players... they run the gamit, and I couldn't have picked a better place to go to college.

Mallory

It is such a beautiful and happy place to recieve my education. Everyone is so kind and helpful. The classes are so professional and unique. I love everything BYUI offers and everyone who makes such a diffrence in our environment. Theirs so much to do on and off campus that is just modest fun and everyone loves it.

Victoria

This is an amazing school that is more like a family! There is so much to do for fun after academic activities, and I have made friends that will be friends forever!!!

I love the environment there! There are always lots of activities to go to on the weekends. Most professors go out of their way to help the student. I have not had any trouble finding resources! The students are all very friendly. The standards are very high.

Samuel

BYU-I is a strange school in its plainness. The architecture is bland yet calming. The grass will forever be mowed to a uniform height. The facilities are always immaculate and the Latter Day Saint culture reflects it. The friendliness of students can be a bit overwhelming - one is liable to be blinded by all the pearly whites during high traffic times. The food is expensive for poor students, but entirely worth it. While you won’t be able to get a decent meal for less than ten dollars there is everything from Chic-Fil-A to crepes. Intellectual culture at BYU-I is weak. It’s sort of the red-headed stepchild of the LDS school system and its primary function is to take students who lacked the academic aptitude for BYU proper (obviously, there are some exceptions). Any academic culture outside the classroom will be found in active clubs, the common ground of LDS theology, or your professor’s office. What most impressed me about BYU-I was the quality of the faculty. They really cared about their students and took their teaching positions seriously. If the student body lacked curiosity the staff surely didn’t. Any resource they could muster or question they could answer was likely to be quick and insightful. The cultural diversity of the school is both really impressive and a little disappointing. Every Mormon boy is expected to and every Mormon girl has the ability to go on a mission. These young men and women are sent all over the world to spread the message of the Church. With this you have many students who speak multiple languages and sometimes their foreign converts end up attending the university. While many countries are represented and Mormons have valuable world experiences it's also very insular. Every aspect of life is looked at through the lens of the Church and faith in Christ which creates friction with less enthusiastic students. Most of the students are white and many of them wealthy which only further compounds the bubble-like nature of the town. An important thing that you must be aware of if you plan on attending here is the Honor Code. If you like to smoke, drink, have a beard, or hook up this is not the place for you. You are not restricted from coming to the school if you are not a member, but you must abide by the honor code. At times it feels like anyone could be a snitch and for certain offenses you will be dismissed from the school. Additionally, you must attend church every Sunday. I did not stay with the Church and therefore felt uncomfortable in returning - thought it’s a damn good school. The tuition is a bargain even for non-members and if you don’t mind people trying to convert you or the Honor Code restrictions it might just your school. One more thing - Mormons, male and female, are very, very pretty

Alyssa

BYU- Idaho is amazing. If you want to be surrounded by the spirit and people who love the gospel (and cute guys), there's no better place!

Patricia

My first semester at BYU-I was indescribable. Where do I begin? The friendship, companionship, and love at BYU-I is like no other. My roommates, friends, ward, teachers, even down to the strangers care for you which touched my heart. They care for your education, for you emotionally, psychically, and spiritually. Brigham Young University-Idaho is a hard working school that provides so many tools for not only your education, but for your well-being. I'm grateful and joyful to have made the decision to study at BYU-I. I take pride in my school and support them all the way. I'm excited for the future I plan to share with them and wish those who have never been to check it out and see if it's some place they would like to attend.

At first, I honestly didn't want to attend BYU-I, but after touring the campus and attending a semester there, I fell in love with it. I am definitely a fan of Brigham Young University in Idaho and highly encourage others to attend. Attending there will change your life.

Abby

I think BYUI is an awesome school. I love going to a school where religion and academics are all intertwined into one. The people are very friendly, and the professors are so willing to help their students and to create the best learning environment possible. My only wish is that there was competitive sports. I miss the school spirit and camaraderie that comes with having a mascot and team to support. And I believe that this would only bring more unity among students on its campus.

JosaLynn

I am a freshman at Brigham Young University- Idaho, in my first semester, and I have honestly loved it! The main reason why this school is so awesome is because it is an LDS-run school, making the environment and atmosphere wholesome and uplifting at all times! It is so great to be surrounded by fellow students and professors that share the same beliefs as me. I love that the Honor Code is implemented, keeping everyone safe, honest, and virtuous. The school's programs and classes are so great. I just wish there were more! The class sizes are ideal, making it so easy for the professors to know each student individually and helps the students receive the option of one-on-one time. There are so many clubs and organizations to get involved with, making the social part of college so easy and fun! I love the location of the school, with so many recreational options such as the Dunes and Mesa Falls near by. Overall, this school is such a blessing in so many ways to so many people, and I would encourage all to attend.

Mikaela

I love it here, there is a spirit that resides on campus and in our classes that can not be found any where else. I cannot imagine attending another school. Not to mention every one on campus is just amazing. Always smiling and laughing, and tuesday devotional is always a blast!

Ryanne

Attending Brigham Young University-Idaho is one of the best decisions I've ever made. The social life is amazing! I love being surrounded by people who hold the same values as me. Students are the number one priority of professors. They are always available to help and make sure you really understand the material. There are so many fun things to do outside of campus. We have sand dunes, the Tetons, and Jackson Hole all with in an hour and a half. I always feel safe and know that I'm a priority.

Michaela

It's an amazing school with a great atmosphere and everyone is super nice. There is always something fun going on and the campus is beautiful. There are so many opportunities to learn and grow and try new things. Campus is right next to town so everything is super easy to access. Rexburg is beautiful, there is a lot of activities around and new adventures await around each corner. I'd your looking for a good degree and awesome college experience, attend byui and that's exactly what you will get. The only thing I would change is that they expand it so there's more majors.

laura

Its an overall good school to attend, very helpful and lots of things offered there.

Katie

I believe that Brigham Young University-Idaho is a place where students from all over the world can come together and share their faith and values while getting a quality education. There are some many professors who genuinely care for their students and want to see you succeed but they aren't going to hold your hand. The people here are amazing too, almost everyone you meet is kind and wants to get to know you and find a way to serve you. Yes the school has its draw backs such as a dress code and a curfew, but those are so minor that they pale in comparison to how great the campus and culture there is.

Emma

There is such a feeling of unity on this campus. It is the only place I can picture myself going to school. There are so many benefits to living here. Everyone here is happy to help you in any way that they can. The teachers are easy to work with and they really want you to succeed in your career. This school really does a lot to help you get a running start in your chosen career field.

Overall, I like BYU-Idaho. I really love that class sizes are smaller. Smaller classes make it easier to communicate with professors. There are so many resources available that allow for students to be successful. There are clubs for pretty much anyone. I like that there is church on campus, so students don't have to travel far to go to church. The political science department is great. Each of the professors in this department are open-minded and care about giving all of the facts. They are easy to talk to and always available to their students.

Alison

Brigham Young University-Idaho cares about students succeeding. There are many options for students to be able to receive extra help to have success. The students are very friendly and there is minimal to none drug or alcohol use. This is a safe and welcoming place to get an education, to help students create careers, and to meet people who will have a positive and uplifting influence in your life.

Breanna

I think that it is a grate university with wonderful place. The professors care about the students and want them to succeed. Most of the ones that I have had are all available during office hours and a few of them will set up a time to meet up when asked. I think that the activities could be better than they are. there are a lot of inter-mural sports that the students can be involved in, but the university itself dose not have any sport teams. There are a lot of clubs, but they are hard to find. however the environment that is on campus is amazing. everyone is your friend weather you know them or not.

Damia

I love BYU-Idaho! The gospel atmosphere is wonderful, because weekly devotionals and gospel connections in every class fill my spiritual cup. Because BYU-Idaho is subsidized for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, tuition costs are low. Small class sizes allows teachers to get to know all of the students and be available anytime we need help. The small class size and common beliefs and standards makes it easy to make friends. Having high standards as an honor code helps me feel very safe on and around campus. BYU-Idaho offers many things to help every student succeed: free tutoring on any subject, writing center, reading center, and math lab. A variety of activities are always going on around campus, including clubs, concerts, and recreational activities. Off campus housing is great. I can walk to campus easily from most off campus housing. BYU-Idaho has a lot to offer!

Emilee

I really like BYUI. I feel like the majority of the professors really care about the students, and want them to succeed. There is a great atmosphere on campus, the majority of people you meet here are happy, and excited about attending this university. The tuition, is also pretty affordable, compared to other schools and there are lots of scholarship opportunities.

Alyssa

I love it here! It's definitely not for everyone because it's a really religious environment, but if you want an uplifting college experience, BYU-I is the place. The thing I love most about BYU-I is that it is not a competitive environment. Your professors care about you, they know your name and pray for you. Participation with classmates is enjoyable, you're not competing for good grades, you're helping each other achieve them. I also think the quality of student resources to the tuition cost is probably the best ratio of any college in the US.

Mallory

It is amazing!!! The class sizes are no more than 100 for the generals but they get super small and close with the professor. The people are amazing and kind. They have amazing classes and degrees available. They also have a lot of resources for school work and if you need any help. There are a lot of activities.

Anika

BYUI was not really on my list of colleges I wanted to attend, but I am so glad I eventually decided to go. I was very nervous to start but I soon found that the people were kind, the classes were great, the atmosphere was comfortable, and there were so many opportunities to succeed at so many things. I am very glad I choose BYUI, it was perfect for me.