Brigham Young University-Provo Top Questions

While this school is a private university under the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it is open to anyone who is willing to sign and live by the honor code. All religions, races, sexual orientations and other such demographics are completely accepted as long as they are willing to live by the code that all other students have agreed to. So, the only people who would not be successful at BYU are people who would refuse to live by the honor code, and be uninterested in the lifestyle it encourages.

BYU students must have integrity and love to learn. Anyone just looking for a crazy party life or who wants a free ride to a degree should go elsewhere. It is a privilege to attend BYU. Most students are working their own way through college. Irresponsible and immature behavior is not welcome. There is a strict honor code, and if anyone is not willing to cheerfully live by it, they clearly do not belong at this university. The standards of living and learning are clearly set. No one should even apply if they do not like those specific standards.

Someone who isn't willing to follow the Honor Code and abide by the rules willingly.

Rebelious people. The rules are strict, so if you don't like rules, you will not do well here. If you don't want to work hard, you also wouldn't do well here.

The kinds of people who shouldn't come to this school are those looking for outrageous parties, alcohol, and to find someone to sleep with. Brigham Young University has strict no alcohol, no drugs, no sex policies that will get anyone who does these things suspended or expelled. No one is excluded from this, even including athletes (towards whom most universities will turn a blind eye when they break school rules).

BYU is a very uniform school. There is plenty of encouragement of creativity and many opportunities to learn, however, if you enjoy going against the grain and making your own rules, this is not the place for you. As students, we are expected to maintain high standards of living and adhere to the Honor Code so that we represent the school well. Abover all, strong morals, honesty, and integrity are prized here.

Janilyn

A person should not attend this school if he or she is unmotivated and believes that they can miss class or not do the assigned reading or homework. They should also not attend if they cannot follow strict rules (i.e. the Honor Code).

Malea

You should not attend this school if you are not willing to abide by a strict Honor Code, study hard, and if you hate the cold.

Felipe

Those who do not like to do homework and study for exams.

Non-serious students shouldn't attend there. People who don't want to keep the honor code or live up to the standards shouldn't attend there.

Shelli

Do not attend BYU if you feel repressed under the weight of high moral standards and requirements of honor, integrity, and a lot of patience.

Practicing homosexual. This is a private, church-owned school and doesn't permit such behavior.

Tori

Someone who doesn't want to live by high standards and morals should not attend BYU. BYU has a spiritual aspect to it, and most people who go there are Lds. So if people are uncomfortable with this then I suggest they don't go here.

Students attending BYU choose to live by a higher standard, by abiding by the honor code, and agreeing to uphold the standards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Students who are not willing to do that should not attend.

Kamille

Any female who does not obey rules, or can't bond with other females.

I wouldn't recommend this school to someone who plans on having an extremely "loose" lifestyle--one who's planning on doing drugs, smoking, drinking alcohol, sleeping around, etc.. There is an Honor Code that students are required to sign, and expulsion can result from not abiding by its precepts.

Merridee

One who does not like following rules designed to create a safe, yet fun, learning environment

Mariah

Because the school is religiously affiliated, some may feel the environment is a little too homogenous for their taste. Don't come here if you're big on heated debates and lots of vastly different opinions on an issue.

R.

everyone should

Ward

If you get offended easily by people who have not yet learned how to be very open-minded. If you get irritated by large groups with similar (almost identical) ideologies. If you are not LDS and you do not wish to learn about the church, or if you are antagonistic to other faiths (constantly trying to prove your faith to others). If you get road rage easily, the drivers here are AWFUL.

If one is coming here becasue they think it's easy, save the tuition and go somewhere else. One should also be used to obeying rules and not rebeling just because they can. The school will tolerate that people are different, but if you're one to do something stupid just because you can, then this isn't the place for you.

I think it would be very hard for a non-religious person to suceed at BYU. The gospel of Jesus Christ, that is espoused by the LDS Church is woven into every aspect of the university, with prayers offered before classes and sporting events, and the campus shutting down for it's weekly devotionals. If you don't want to incorporate your spiritual beliefs into your education, then BYU is not the place for you.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend the school is the person who enjoys drugs, drinks, has an active sexual life, and only cares about themselves.

Someone who wants a great education and doesn't want to get dragged down by common college problems.

Freeloaders and people who just want to get by. BYU is a place to excel, and it requires a lot from its students. It is totally worth it, though.

Laurel

I would suggest this school to LDS people, or those who aren't deterred by the religious bubble. I've known students from other religions who have come to BYU and have been treated poorly. Many of the students have been sheltered, and therefore aren't very accepting of differences, at least at first. But I think if you're strong in your beliefs and able to tolerate the sheltered people, you'll find a lot of good, friendly people who will welcome you. We have a good amount of foreign students who aren't LDS and love it here.

Quinten

At Brigham Young University, there is an honor code, which helps maintain a dignified university with dignified students. Anyone who wishes to have low moral standards and values, and no desire to change, are the people I would not recommend this school to.

A person who does not want to be around a religious environment or doesn't like certain restrictions pertaining to lifestyle placed on them. Anyone who is uncomfortable with religion being incorporated into their education should also not attend.

If you are the kind of person that doesn't want to be actively engaged in your schooling then BYU is not for you. Also if you can not keep the strict standards in its honor code that make BYU such a safe place to be, look elsewhere.

A person who does not take their education seriously, only wants to party and socialize during college, and does one or more of the following: smoke, drink, dress immodestly, cuss, or do drugs.

Although people from all religions are welcome, this is a largely based Mormon college. So if yoy don't want to expereince the LDS lifestyle, you probably shouldn't attend.

A person shouldn't attend BYU if they plan to glide through school and have the experience come with little to no difficulties. A lazy student will easily fall behind. If you do not intend to adhere to the honor code, pick a different school.

Reena

A student who plans on taking his or her college years at an easy going place, without having to work too hard and planning time to kick back and go to as many parties as possible should not attend Brigham Young University. While this university more than welcomes and encourages fun activites for students, it is a fast paced campus with extremly hard working and goal oriented students. Any individual who does not share this view of college life should not attend BYU.

Micah

Those who do not enjoy learning in a positive environment with other students who like to learn and grow as a whole individual would not like to attend this school.

Malia

People who don't take their education seriously shouldn't attend this school. Other than that, I can't really think of anyone that shouldn't apply to this school. Well, BYU isn't a party college. In fact, we've been voted the most sober school for about ten years in a row. If people are looking for lots of drinking and partying, BYU isn't the university for them.

One who has big expectations of themself and is willing to study their butt off.

Starla

Somebody who is interested in drugs and alcohol or has an issue with following rules. There's a pretty strict honor code, but if you don't have issues with rebelling against authority then you'll be fine. If you're really liberal you probably wouldn't like it here either, since it's pretty conservative.

Brianne

You shouldn't attend this school if you are very liberal and are strongly oppinionated in your ways. This school is much more conservative. You should also not attend this school if you enjoy partying with alchol. This school doesn't allow that.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is one who is not willing to put forth the effort to get good grades. If they are not willing to learn, they should not be wasting the professors time or their parents' money. There are many rules to abide at this school too and if a person cannot abide by them, they should consider a different school.

A person who wants a really liberal education and who wants to avoid any kind of religious influence should definitely not attend this school.

Somebody with high standards and values. Being chaste, virtuous, avoiding drugs, honest, and uses clean language. A person who is striving to achieve greatness. Someone who is academically motivated and wants a university that will help them become the best they can be. A university that has awesome social life, good school spirit, and a place filled with friendly and helpful people. A univeristy that focues its teachings aroung the LDS religion and has no toleration for plagerism or cheating of any kind. A school that is full of class and will teach one many of the life long lessons.

Kelli

Someone who is not willing to work hard, someone who focuses primarily on social life and hardly on academics, someone who likes to drink or smoke (those things are not allowed).

If you are looking for a great college experience without the binge drinking, immorality and drug use, BYU is the school for you! All students are required to follow a code of honor, which promotes a clean and healthy lifestyle for each student. However, this does NOT mean we don't have fun! BYU is teeming with social opportunities, from sports to clubs, dances, and dating. Because of our moral conduct and high standard of living, thousands of employers are attracted to hire from our school.

Byron

Someone who doesn't like the LDS culture and doesn't want to abide by its standards and live among LDS individuals trying to better their lives and others'.

Don't come here if your social life depends on drinking. BYU isn't a big drug/alcohol party scene. It's a really fun atmosphere and there's always lots to do for entertainment, but it's not edgy in any way. Also, the school is very academically competetive. The fact is that you'll be surrounded by high achievers, and for some people that is very intimidating or discouraging. If you like being a big fish in a small pond, I wouldn't suggest coming here.

Chelsie

A person who doesn't want to work hard or put effort into their school work shouldn't go to BYU. BYU is a great school and wants to help students who want to help themselves.

Garrett

People that dont want to live by the honor code here shouldn't attend this school, neither should students who aren't willing to work hard for their grades.

I don't think that there is a kind of person that shouldn't attend this school. Anyone can attend as long as they put forth the needed effort and have the motivation to go to school. I think those that are motivated and want a higher education should be allowed to come to this school. But as I said before everyone should be able to come. But there is an honor code to live by so there may be a few that don't mix with that. But all should be allowed.

Someone who is anti-Mormon and exceptionally liberal. Some one who doesn't like to socialize.

I think a person who is not serious about learning and trying there best to plan a future would be very out of place at this school. It's important to understand the aims of a higher education and work toward goals and ambitions. This school is also primarily LDS or Mormon, so the cultural and religiosity might be different for someone who is not a member, although there is a small percentile who are not of our faith.