Brigham Young University-Provo Top Questions

The most important thing that I would tell myself is not to get overstressed about knowing what you want to do with your life during the first semester at college. Many people change their majors though out their college experience and many more have a variety of careers after college. Take time to breath and just focus on doing well in your G.E. classes. Take time to learn about yourself and try out new things. If you’re interested in a major, talk to people who are in that major. Meet with alumni who have graduated with that major and ask them what their life is like now. Just take the time in your first few semesters (or years) to learn what you like to do and it will make a big difference later on down the road.

Brandi

fsa

Seek financial aid sooner. Make goals, but don't be afraid to reevaluate and change them as your knowledge and experience grow. Always strive to do your best. When you drive hard, keep going until you finish. When you reach goals, reward yourself. But not until you achieve them. You are not in this alone. Reach out and help others along the way.

Carson

Dude, you know how you think you know how to study? You're wrong! Put in 30 more minutes studying every night and it'll make a difference. Also, good job on holding back from partying. Too many kids are lazy and making really poor decisions. They are wasting time, money and their future. Enjoy those naps now because they don't exist once you're in college and appreciate mom's home cooking a little more. Do some occasional laudry and save more of your paychecks. I have a baseball player in one of my classes and wish I were him! Put in longer practices, go swing in the batting cage every day, hit off the tee, go for runs and push yourself a little harder. You turn out pretty okay and have a lot of great people who give you some neat opportunities and great advice. Keep working hard!

High School Self, While you have a lot to be proud of, just remember that you're still seventeen; you don't, in fact, no everything. The world doesn't owe you anything, so be sure to pack a big dose of humility in your suitcase. You will need it. Remember that what anyone else thinks of you is none of your business. Heed this advice and you'll save a lot of time that you'd otherwise spend obsessing over the approval of others. Most of those nit-pickers don't matter anyway. If you get hit by a car while riding your bike, for the love of God get that idiot's license plate number-- there's a chance he will speed away and leave you there. Open your mind because you can learn from everyone. Don't be quick to dismiss the asshole. You don't know where he's been. Last, but not least, you are a geek, an introvert, and a nerd who prefers bookstores and quiet evenings to parties and concerts. Don't be ashamed of that. Embrace your weirdness and you will come to find that other people love that about you too.

Ami

If I could advise myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to go all-in. College is not a time to hold back. Attend all the programs you can, talk to everyone around you, and make friends. College is all about who you know. On the academic side, having friends in each course will significantly increase you test scores and understanding of course material, and knowing professors can make you memorable and help your grades. In the social perspective, reaching out can help you find your place and your closest friends. College is about finding yourself. Everything you do, put your self into it whether it is a math assignment or a date. Be fully present and see the bright side of every situation you are in. When the going gets tough, be grateful you have the opportunity to attend college, and get out and laugh. Laugh every day. Surround yourself with people that make you laugh, and do what makes you happy. Do not let anyone shame you into being someone you are not. Create some insane memories. Be able to tell you future children stories they will not believe. Make it a time to remember.

Whatever you might think your priorities should be in the future, remember this one lesson: Life is about people. Focus on your relationships before your accomplishments. Focus on loving your family members, making friends, and being open and available to those around you. College can be an isolating, stressful, depressing experience. Or college can be the time where you discover how many gifts and talents that you've been blessed with, gifts that will enrich the world when you are outwardly focused. Never get too caught up in your problems and struggles that you forget to be happy. You will find true happiness in loving other people. All the other decisons, where to live, what to study, where to get a job...those are all secondary to the decison of how you treat other people. So smile, be bold and friendly. Always help others. Be involved in people's lives. Listen to them. Find ways to serve in your apartment, your community, your classes. Study in groups. Be a peer tutor. Be a leader. Be an example of good character. By loving other people, you'll be fulfilling the highest calling you have in this life.

Take the time to complete assignment and homework before work or play if possible. Join clubs and intermural teams. Learn to enjoy Raman, Peanut Butter sandwiches and Man and Cheese. Have fun, college can be a lot of fun too,

Do not take the easy way out. High school life breeds short sightedness. You tend to be selfish, focus on yourself, and only briefly plan for the future. Be careful and avoid this common trap. Open your vision wide, look beyond yourself now, and think about what will most benefit you in the long run. Be aware that the university level will challenge you, but it will prepare you for life. Compare this lesson to a farmer. Early in the season the farmer works his hardest. He puts forth hours of labor and sacrifices sleep or entertainment in hopes for a bountiful harvest. As he centers his mind on future success, the work becomes more enjoyable. It's all about perspective. He knows his dilligent work now will eventually pay off, and so it is with college. Skip the community colleges and avoid the party schools. Find a university that will require strenuous hours of labor, sacrifice of sleep and entertainment, so that in the future you and your family will harvest fruits that will last you through the winter and into the future.

Dallin

I would have studied harder and been more prepared and maybe actually have gotten scholarships.

If I could give the high school version of myself advice about college, it would be this: buy the right kind of beans. A few months ago, I went grocery shopping and was frantically running through the aisles buying my food. I went to grab some refried beans, but when I came home and pulled them out of my bag, I saw I had made a terrible mistake, I had bought a can of "beanies and weenies:" a mix of hotdog chunks and pinto beans. I made this mistake not once, but twice. And while it is silly, it actually does examplify a greater principle to me that you need to remember: don't overlook the basics. Don't allow yourself to get so caught up in the crazy life of tests, labs, essays, parties and extracurriculars that you can't even take a moment to slow down and buy the right kind of beans. Don't ignore the most important things, like getting enough sleep and feeding yourself good food. Take care of yourself, and then the other areas of your life will flourish because of it. I promise. And please: never buy a can of beanies and weenies.

I would tell myself to learn how to study. There are many differences between high school and college, but one of them is difficulty. College is HARD. There are fewer assignments, but every assignment is worth a larger percentage of your grade. Tests and learning how to take them is probably the most important skill to develop because they are such a huge percentage of you grade. Learn now, study, take notes, attend class, because everything will only get harder after high school.

Julianna

Going back, I'd tell myself anything is possible but reorder your priorities. Money is not the first concern. It should be in the top 10 but not higher than #5. An undergraduate degree does not determine a career path. Choose schools which: encourage exploration in the first years, have "shopping weeks" not pre-registration, promote internships, have professors who willingly advise students on academic and carrer options, and where women are valued, as evidenced by the student body and number of female professors. Where possible take tours and sit in on classes. Get a sense for the academic rigor and find a student body where I'd belong. Growing up poor, in an elite community, my high school didn't provide advice to students in my socioeconomic bracket. My guidance counselor said "[I'd] never get into any college with a PSAT score of 1200." I didn't study for the PSATs. At the time the highest score on the SAT was 1600. I'd tell myself, make phone calls to the admissions and financial aid offices of universities I wanted to attend even if I couldn't visit. And, I'd say, as I did, yes I can.

Kirsten

Don't be afraid to be you. College can be very intimidating and difficult and you may feel like you need to act a certain way to fit in. Everybody seems older and more experienced than you and it can be frightening to be yourself. But don't compromise on who you are, your beliefs and standards. People will respect you more for having them then ignoring them in order to fit in. Build a reputation of being trustworthy and reliable. Make the college you the best you you have ever been. Your professors and classmates will notice. But most importantly, you will notice and you will be happier for it.

Don't be so concerned about how skinny you are, if the cheerleaders will be friends with you, or if the basketball boys will make out with you! You'll have plenty of boyfriends in college . You're smart, and the college classes aren't as hard as everyone says they are. Don't be afraid to stop studying so much and go the parties. You end up making it. Breathe. Also, stop making out with Peter. Even though he's a 'college boy', he's not worth your time and there are MUCH better boys waiting for you in college! Stop taking the ACT so many times. Trust me, a 32 is definitely a good enough score and nobody cares anyways once you get in. Practice soccer more do you can actually win an intramural championship instread of always losing in the final round. You're the world's greatest!

The advice that I would give to myself is to focus on the most important things. Girls, drugs, fun, and even work can wait. There are other things out there that will help you so much more than those things. I know that they seem to be the best things, but they can wait. Focus on the school work and focus on learning. Don't grow up too fast. You have an amazing opportunity given you. Enjoy it, but also remember that if you do not work hard, you will not prosper. Work is nesscessary in order to grow. As you work hard, you will feel good. Don't let others bring you down, but just continue to try new things and learn so that you can teach your children and bring good into the world. You can do so much, don't forget who you are.

I would tell my high school senior self a variety of things knowing what I know now. First, I would tell myself to start looking into colleges that I want to attend and scholarships right at the start of my senior year. I would also tell my high school senior self to have a job and be working to have some money of my own to apply to my own college experience. Also, I would advise myself to go and visit colleges that I am interested in, so that I can see if I will really like attending one of those schools. And finally, I will tell myself, that yes college will not be a piece of cake, but that it will be worth it.

You do not need to rush yourself. Take the time you need to really figure out what you are doing with your life. Enjoy yourself while you are doing it. Because if you do not take the time now you will have to take the time during a less convenient time of your life. You do not need to figure everything out in one day. What to study? What career to go for? What about social life? These are all questions you should be having. And there are even more questions. The answers will come with time. Just make sure you are not rushing yourself and losing precious opportunities to enjoy life and find the answers to these questions. Do not be afraid to ask for help. You may have to talk to a lot of people. There are people who can help you figure out your life plans. Do not let your self stress over it so much that you cannot enjoy life. Go at the pace you need. You know yourself better than anyone else. Life will be hard but you will figure it out.

High school for me was the pile of brussel sprouts on a large plate of rich, delicious foods. It stunk and it was nasty, but it was absolutely necessary for me to grow. I spent my high school career trying to find a balance between knowing I had the capacity to lead and being told that I wasn’t needed because the school already had better, more able leaders. I knew I had something to offer to the school, but with every leadership position that I took, I tore myself down telling myself that I was incapable and less valuable. Though as I got to college and was treated as a valuable part of society, I realized that it was important for me to learn to follow while recognizing my ability to lead, but it’s even more important to be a competent, humble leader who acknowledges what they are capable of. So to my high school self, I would say ‘Stop it. Stop caring so much about what your peers think of you. Stop trying so hard to be what everyone expects you to be. Stop cutting yourself down because in the end, being you is better than enough.’

You know that college is work and a serious thing. But do not forget that it is also an experience. Do not be a work-aholic. Have a job, stay in your budget, make beautiful plans for the future -- but make the time to have fun. You will meet some of your greatest friends in college; it is a clean slate. Whatever activities you want to do or classes you want to take, just go for it! In leaving high school and going away to school, you left behind all the "boxes" that people put you in. No one at college has any pre-conceptions of your character and interests. You really do define yourself. Remember to be responsible. Stay close to God because you are about to be put in some of the most stressful and stretching situations of your life. You need to roll with the punches, but divine help is a definite necessity. Not every day is fun, but the more you remember to relax into your reponsible adulthood, the more fun moments will occur. That is life. So be happy and while you work hard to be successful, remember that you need to have fun, too.

If I were to go back in time I would tell myself to stop stressing about "what I want to be." I would have many days when I would be so confused and focus on learning about a career that was going to make me the most money. I came to college and learned this is where you find your true self. I am learning what it really means to "learn" about a subject you love and have passion for it. It is not about what career is going to make you the most money. I should have been thinking of ways my future career would benefit or help the lives of others. I would tell myself not to try to plan my life out because it never works out the way you had planned in your career class. You disocver a passion that may fuel you for the rest of your life with the new opportunities in college.

Madeline

Talking to my high school self, I would tell her to lighten up. I definitely believe in working hard and I wouldn't ever advocate working any less than I did, but I would try to have more fun. Throughout my whole life I've been a relatively serious person, but as I get older I've realized that I would have had so much fun when I was younger. There are times to be serious, but there are more times to be fun. College is really challenging, but knowing how to ease up and take a break is just as important as knowing how to buckle down. My whole life I was raised knowing that college is competitive and to get in requires demonstrating consistent good grades -- which takes a lot of effort -- but I never let myself relax. Going back in time, I would tell myself that it's okay to have a little frivolous fun, in fact, it's needed!

So, you know all of that effort you’re putting into those AP classes right now? Well, guess what, you are going to excel in college if you keep that up. You are also going to exhaust yourself if you keep going like that. My lesson to you, past self, is that you are not invincible. You are strong, but you do not have to be the best in everything. Be proud of your accomplishments, but humble in your acknowledgments. Respect all who come into your life, for you will never know who is going to change your life. Learn to trust in others. You do not have to go through trials and hard times alone. Your roommates are going to drive you crazy, but you will learn to love them. Stop spending money on useless things- just start cutting out soda now. I promise, it saves money and time. You are not perfect. You do not have to be perfect. Just be the best person that you are capable of being. And that person will change again and again. Remember who you are and what you stand for. You, love, are a child of God. Never forget that.

I would tell myself to absorb all the knowledge available to me. I would tell myself to appreciate my teachers, take classes I would learn something unique from, even if it had nothing to do with what I planned on studying in college. Most importantly, I would press my high school self to question EVERYTHING. The greatest way to build your mind is to figure out the "why?". If you can understand the foundation of a subject, you can build upon it and share that knowledge, teach that knowledge. I would encourage myself to take every unique opportunity I saw. I would tell myself to make an extra effort to impart love on everyone around me... You never know who you may never see again. I would tell myself to take care of the people who struggled and to teach them whatever I could. I would tell myself that college is a wonderful experience, and there is plenty of time to do it. I would tell myself to be prepared for wild roller coaster I would be on the next year, modeling in New York Fashion Week, living in Europe. I would promise myself to savor every moment.

Janessa

Seniors, I'm telling you now, get over the prejudices, the cliques, and the groups that control your school, and get to know people. Don't spread yourself to thin, have a group of solid friends, but learn how to meet people. The day you enter college, you're bombarded with questions, and knowing how to introduce yourself to someone in a friendly and impressive way is essential to surviving in a mass of people. At college people won't know your life story, like in high-school. Your professors wont know, neither will your roommates, and neither will the random guy that sits next to you in class. You will feel like a number, another statistic of someone who worked hard to get there, another person taking up space. Learning to introduce yourself to people, makes you realize that you are an individual in the sea of people sporting your college's colors. Many times these one time meetings don't result in any sort of friendship, but the moment of introducing yourself to someone, and carrying on seemingly insignificant conversation, confirms that you are a living, breathing, person that is working hard rather than just another seat filled.

I would tell myself to study more and keep working hard. Also I would find more chances to go out and have fun.

Seren

I would tell my high school senior-self that college is amazing. It is fun, challenging, and helps you grow. I would tell myself to not doubt your passions and interests. Don't waste time doubting yourself. Make sure you work hard, but don't neglect your social life. It doesn't come as easily as it did in high school. Don't feel like you have to prove yourself to other people and don't be afraid to let go of your friends from high school. It is time to move on from everyone. Make sure you spend time getting to know your professors, they aren't as intimidating as you think. It will really help you to form close relationships with them. Make sure you get involved in extra ciriculars and research projects. Know your limits. Sometimes it is okay to overachieve, but make sure you are taking care of yourself. It is okay to take some semesters slow or take extra classes that sound interesting to you. Just enjoy college. It is a great time of your life. You will like it more than you think! Keep working hard and good luck!

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and give my high school self some advice, it would be to “Hang in there…it’s worth it!” There were numerous occasions amidst the endless hours of studying, researching, writing and problem solving that I was ready to throw in the towel. My comfortable bed was much more appealing than the computer screen or textbook page at midnight, and I was tempted to call it quits. Maintaining my 4.9 GPA and class ranking seemed to push me at the time, but now I know there were bigger motivators out there! “Hang in there…it’s worth it!” Had I known what was ahead of me, I would have never slowed down! Transitioning to a college campus has been an exciting adventure already filled with a wealth of experiences. The diligence in my studies and relentless focus on my education paved the way for me as a college student. Those high school challenges were simply preparing me for the world ahead, full of new faces, new challenges, and most importantly new learning. All of the obstacles I have previously faced are well worth the value of my education.

Jake, you're going to college soon. I've come to share some keys that will guide you in your college career. Learn to love learning, once you realize that the learning and growth you experience is as important as the class, you'll get good grades. Sit close to the front, take good notes, pay attention, and go to every single class period, this is half the battle to learning what your professor teaches. Make friends in your classes, a good group of friends can make all the difference. Live in the moment and get involved. Make it great!

If I could go back and give some advice to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself a few pointers. One thing I would tell myself is to make sure to get involved in something. Get involved in some kind of sport, or club, just something that will ensure you an immediate group of friends that you can rely on and hang out with. Another thing I would tell myself is to work enough during the summer to be able to ensure that during the school year you can just focus on your studies. Working at the same time as going to school can really be a huge stresser on any college student. Finally, I would tell myself to not forget that college is to also have fun. Sure you have to have plenty of study time, but it's always good to save a few moments and just go relax from the cares of college work and do something you love.

Colton

I would tell myself to remember that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and your parents aren't feeding you anymore. I'd remind myself that I am in charge of myself now, and that if I plan on going to school, then I'd better make sure that I meet all my deadlines, and work hard to make sure that everything that needs to be done, paying tuition, finding housing, regestiring for classes, is going to be done by me. I would also mention to myself, that you can have a bit of fun too, just don't procrastinate deadlines. I'd also mention that I may want to pay a bit more attention to the lovely Taylor Anderson, as she is someone that I don't want to ignore. . .

A typical high school senior spends his or her final school year on top of the world. Consistently students are told their generation will change the world, so dream big! Sooner or later, however, the weight of the world settles on their shoulders as students realize every single choice they make affects their future. It’s a heavy burden to bear, and their ability to dream big diminishes. These were my feelings as I finished my senior year, realizing that never again in my life would I feel so carefree. I wondered what the future held. As I watched those I considered successful, the common element I found was not that they dreamed big, but that they made certain they had a plan to achieve their big dream. They obtained information, reached out for assistance, and sacrificed comfort for success. Building on a foundation of specific plans, goals, and values, they created success wherever they went. Looking back, I wish I had practiced setting goals sooner. Every student needs to make a plan of what they want to be, because through those plans and driven by dreams, perhaps those students will change the world.

Work in the summers. Even though it doesn't seem like you can, squeeze any work you can in. It helps on a resume and with your finances. Also, study hard and start early. Cramming is highly ineffective.

Carl

Dear High School Self, There is never enough time. This is a cliché but that doesn’t make it any less true. And being true doesn’t make it any less cliché. I happen to know you’re horrible at time management so let me give you some pointers. 1) Set priorities. Decide one or two things that must be done and make them top priorities. Now pick one thing you want to do more than anything else. This will be your reward for getting the important things done. Don’t do anything else until these are done. 2) Hold yourself accountable. When you’ve decided that something must be done but you know you will have trouble motivating yourself, find a way to pressure yourself. Maybe write it down and hang it on the fridge or ask someone to ask about it whenever they see you. 3) Set aside some time for procrastination. You’re going to procrastinate anyway so you might as well be in control of it. Schedule yourself some time to play that video game or to go rock climbing. When the time is up, stop and get to work. Good luck. Sincerely, Your future self.

Janilyn

Dear High School Self, You will do amazing things in the coming years! Times will get hard, especially financially, emotionally, and academically, but most situations will eventually come to an end. Although you fell in love with chemistry in high school, the chemistry classes required for your major in college will be extremely difficult and frustrating but you can do it. Just push through the classes and your reward will be great. Life also has a tendency to throw in several surprises that may or may not be wanted, but learn to live in positive ways to overcome those challenges. Responding negatively will not help in most situations. Also, learn how to cook better and eat healthier now and use those skills in college life. You will not regret it. In addition to this, be prepared for the dating life, as you have not been on a date before starting college. Prepare to be a wife that the most amazing man deserves. You will find him and love him more than you can ever imagine. I will not give away too much but you have an amazing future ahead. Be strong and never give up. --Your College Self

Although I sought for and achieved my personal goal of graduating high school with honors simultaneously with my two year collegiate degree, I would advise my High School self to spend what other time remained on one thing. I would advise obtaining some form of skilled work certification- electrician apprentice, phlebotomist, personal trainer, mechanical skills, etc. - due to the fact that the job market is now filling up with many who have obtained degrees, but are working in minimum wage part-time jobs instead of their respective career fields. This is due to a lack of experience or certification, which is obtained through further education, for which one needs further monetary means, which cannot be obtained with a high rate of success through a low-skill level job. This leading to a cyclical trap. So, in one sentence for my former self, what would I do differently? Gain certification for work in connection with your studies.

Bryan

Dear Mr. Invincible: I know you believe that sleep is for mere mortals and that you can cram for any exam and still ace it, but you are in for a rude and expensive awakening when you lose that freshman scholarship. College life will provide you with exhilarating freedom, but keep your ultimate goal of family and professional success in mind as well. Go ahead and join a late night video game session or impulsive prank once for the experience, then notice how little satisfaction it brought you and how tired you are in class the next day. All you’ve known in life so far is increasing strength and ability, but that will change sooner than you think. Play hard but don’t risk any serious injury. Your peers are now just as smart as you so schedule breaks between classes and skip every other line while taking notes, then fill in those blanks immediately after class to solidify what you’ve just learned. Finally, join as many study groups as you can because they’ll provide both a source of quality friends and a quicker, more effective way to study.

If I could go back in time and talk to my highschool self, I wouldn't talk to myself my senior year. I would talk to myself my freshamn year. That was my best and worst year. Best in the way that I did a lot of new, fun, and exciting things that year and worst in the way that it was the year I lost control. By the time I was a senior I had gotten my act together but it was my freshman year that changed me. In my freshman year I experienced for the first time ditching school, marijuana, getting arrested, getting a ticket, & bad friendships. I didn't have a care in the world except to have fun no matter what. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to grow up. I was young but my focus should've been completely in school, getting into a good college, and getting a job. Not ditching, drugs, and all those other things. I'd tell myself forget trying to be cool and fit in if it's going to end up hurting me. That's not even half of what I'd tell myself.

In the words of Socrates: know thyself. Specifically, learn how you learn. Think about how you think. Organize the way you organize. In college the way you take notes, study and complete assignments is very personal and specific to you. If you learn visually you can personalize your notes and study methods to be visually based. If you think analytically than surround yourselves with analytical people in study groups. Becoming organized is crucial. This includes scheduling, calendaring and keeping track of assignments. Lastly, learn how to work before play and how to become self-disciplined.

Payton

Dear Payton, As you are preparing yourself to make the transition to college life, there are a few things you should know. You might have heard that you should be prepared to work and study harder than you ever have in your life. You've probably heard that you will have to balance your time between school, social life, and adequate sleep. And you've surely heard that the next few years could be the best and most rewarding of your whole life. All these things are true, but my advice to you would be to try not to think about these things too much. When I was preparing to enter college, I was full of stress and expectations. Looking back, maybe I received too much advice. Perhaps sometimes it is better to take things as they come. College will bring lots of change for you, but don't worry. You will adapt to these changes with time, and it will all work out. Don't let one part of college dominate the rest. Find balance, do your best, and get ready for the best years of your life!

Nanlee

Hello self, warning having your head on right. College is no joke and you need every bit of help you can get. Not only do you have hours of homework compared to what you are used to but also have many other subjects to worry about. If I was you, o wait i am, i would start looking scholarships up now. Also dont forget that everything you are learning now applies to something that you will learn in the future. College is no joke and Nanlee you must be ready. Not only is there school to worry about, but also all the normal life situations. In order to be in school you must be about to survive. So get off this path of "I know everything," and listen to what people are talling you. Also the advice teachers give, is not that bad, wait till you got instuctors and a big class to fend off. Goodluck to you Nanlee, keep your head up, and be perpared for whats to come.

If I had a chance to interact with my former high school self, I would slap him and tell him not to be lazy. I am a returning fresh start college student that made a bad decision which led to my demise in my education years ago. The only reason was my own laziness of which ended up being my forced exit from college. I am currently enrolled part time in a two year college and still working full-time, not just in the hard working world but as a father and husband also. I have been studying really hard with minimal time to work with for school, yet still not having any troubles keeping up. My former high school self never applied himself and for that, I am suffering now. I would also like to explain to my former self that arrogance will eventually lead to the loss of several friends and one of the deepest loves of his life. My life was full of regrets till recently when I decided to change my outlook. Unfortunately, I have lost almost two decades of my life and health because of my high school self's bad judgement and decisions.

siluafaga

I would definitely have gone to college straight out of high school, when you wait too long, some opportunities may not be available if you wait. At 54 your choices are extremely limited than at 24. Never give up on your dreams, even if others try to make their opinion yours...

I would tell my high school self that an undergraduate degree is just a stepping stone to a graudate degree and a great career and that picking a major now would save me a lot of time and money. I would also say to me that applying for scholarships and accepting only pell grants, not loans would help keep me out of debt and financially stable for the future. Then I would reiterate those things again... and then a third time and leave by saying, "Find opportunities, don't wait!"

Be yourself. You'll find awesome people that will make life interesting for you. Also, don't stress about getting a job. Relax! Set up budgets through Mint.com NOW and follow them! Also, take Personal Finance ASAP! You'll thank me for it.

Julianne

High School Self: Don't take school too seriously, but continue to work hard. Get a job and start saving money to help with personal expenses once you get to college. Also, don't worry about not having many friends where you are now; it will be a lot easier to make friends once you get to BYU, where everyone shares your standards.

Malea

Don't be all too eager to get out of high school; you'll miss it. Think carefully about whether you'll want to live in the dorms or an apartment your Freshman year. The transition to college life can be pressure enough without the added stress of cooking your own meals or walking 20 minutes to get to class. Try to be sure of your what major you'll choose before college so you can get a good start on classes. Don't be afraid to break away from your old high school friends and become your own person, meeting new people. Keep a healthy lifestyle, don't let the Freshman 15 get to you!

Looking back, there are so many things I could have done differently, should have done differently. But the one thing I know I should have done most was save. Save all the money I could, because being in college and pinching pennies for the next meal or frantically trying to find a job in time so that you can save up enough to pay the loans is never what I had in mind when I got here. It is such a comfort knowing that you have money tucked away for whatever is needed and aren't tearing your hair out hoping for Grandma to come in and save the day. It's not fair to you and it's not fair to her to do that. So save up alot and spend less on the girls... They aren't going to BYU with you.

Gonzalo

Now knowing the college life and how big of a transition it is apart from the high school life, i would tell myself as a high school senior to apply for as many scholarships that i could find. I would also tell myself not to turn down scholarships that are required essays just because i was lazy or didn't have time. If i had the ability to do all this just maybe i wouldn't be thinking about how to pay for school and books.

Darrien

I would tell myself that I shouldn't procrastinate in filing my applications for Financial Aid and scholarships. I would also tell myself that that college would be one of the best times of my educational career.