Bristol Community College Top Questions

Donna

The advice I have for my high school self would have to be "STAY IN SCHOOL"! Do not quit at 16, because even though you'll have your GED before your class graduates you will not return to school untill you are in your 40's and you won't finish your degree untill you are in your mid 50's. Trying to finance college, at this age, without amassing student loans is not an easy endeavor. With your academic acumen and the fact that you come from an underprivileged family you will have more financial opportunities available to further your education.

If I could talk to my senior self, I would warn myself to start saving early. I went to the University of Kentucky for half of a semester and now owe them over $9000. Had I started saving all of the money I earned senior year, I would owe $3500, not $9000. It's still a lot of money, but it's a sum I find easier to pay off.

The advice that I would give myself as a high school senior would be to work hard and keep my grades up, because this forms good habits for when you get in to college. It is also very important to explore all your options for each college to figure out which ones offer the major of study you are looking for. I would advise myself that I am not locked in to any one major, so even if I am unsure of what I want to do, it is still ok to attend college. Most colleges require the same core courses, along with some electives, which may lead you to pick a different major than what you thought you wanted. Most importantly, I'd advise myself to start college right away instead of putting it off, even if I have to start at a community college, or even just taking one course at a time for financial or family reasons.

brittany

I can still rermember my senior year of high school vividly. I was so involved in extracurricular activities, and so bogged down by the stress of college applications and SAT's, I did not ever learn how to relaxe, and take things in stride. Being a sophmore in college, I feel like I finally learned how to destressify my life, and gained the ability to learn that life will go on even if things don't go exactly according to my plans. If I had to go back to my high school self, I would give myself the advice to prioritize things, and to understand that it is impossible for one person to do everything. I would tell myself that it is okay to accept help from others when needed, because in the end I can learn more from others then I can from myself. All in all, I feel like all the things I did as a high school senior I did to try and secure the most benefical future I could for myself. Being slightly older, and I suppose wiser, I learned how important it is to just try my best, and not to be the best.

Tamra

I believe any transition of getting out of high school is very challanging. I moved from Wisconsin just for my boyfriend but then after a year of living here I need a college education to get further in life then Cumberland Farms. So just being possitive and advacating for yourself in life will take you far in life. Not be negative when something hard comes a long when stuggle in a class, just get a personal, free tutor right on campus. When get started in college get all of your class the way you want not what friend are doing. You are going to college for yourself not them. Get your books right away when you can because when college start whether you have them or not your class is still going to go on and you will get homework the first day so best just to get books before class start. Good luck be possitive, make friend, get homework done on time., be a adavcate for yourself.