Broward College

« See more reviews of Broward College

First off the biggest piece of advice that I would give myself is to join the organizations early. My first year and a half I did not join any organizations and I just came to school to take my classes get my A's and go home. Since I joined my last semester, I unfortunately missed out on many opportunities and great experiences. In addition to the academic benefits you make a completely new realm of friends with similar goals and expectations. Secondly, surrounding yourself with students that are better than you is vital to achieving and exceeding your goals. That way you have something to work up to, and not have everyone looking to you for answers. I would also strongly advocate participating in community service activities it brings a great feeling to give back to the community but also opens many doors to scholarships and schooling opportunities. Finally, create a strong network with teachers, advisors, students, and the entire faculty because these will be the individuals that guide you and help you succeed in the educational process. Take advantage of all of the opportunities supplied to you to ensure a phenomenal yet rigorous experience at the college level.

My life has had many twists and turns reflected throughout my school career. In my eyes, and my mind, as you complete your senior year, you have to let life play itself forward as you continue upon higher education. I have constantly and everlastingly been told that I was “not good enough”. That I was “not pretty enough”. Or even worse, that I was “not smart enough”. I was bullied at school often because of my appearance, and lack of comprehension and co-operation with my class. This resulted in myself being depressed, pessimistic, despondent, and isolated. Many events have caused a sudden rise in my grades. However, unfortunate events led to my regression, and a rapid decline in my successes. I would constantly miss school, my grades would fall, and I would soon become a dispirited outcast. College gives you a chance to start over and make a change. You realize that high school was nothing but 8-hours a day, 5-days a week worth of stress and self-consciousness. You get to wear the same clothes over and over. Not to mention TONS of benefits for being a college student. YOU control your school and social life.

College is one of the major stepping stones in life you will have to encounter in order to attain success. At times it will seem difficult but remember that with hardwork and determination , you can overcome any obstacle. This is your final year in high school so you might be a bit nervous now but belief in yourself and promise to never give up. Continue to work diligently in your academics so that you will graduate with an excellent gpa. A high gpa will not only guarantee you scholarships for college but also, it will give you a sense of accomplishment and self-worth. Not to mention confidence and a high self-esteem! In addition, continue to be involved in extra-curricular and volunteer service activities. These will build character and workmanship! I believe in you and I know you will be successful. When you get to college, work hard, get involved and join the honors institute or any other honor society. Maintain a great relationship with professors and advisors; be proactive! Remember deadlines at all times and never wait till the last minute to do any assignments! I love you and goodluck!

If I could teleport back to the beginning of my sophomore year, I would reinforce to myself the benefits of joining student government or the importance of completing more than just a mere 45 hours of community service. In college, students learn about case studies and they synthesize relevant information. They learn how to analyze problems logically and develop arguments based on facts. How is Haiti going to redevelop itself after its disastrous earthquake? The world needs one more leader. The world needs knowledgeable people who have traveled and can retell their accounts in order to start a chain reaction of motivated helpers. World peace is impossible, however world acknowledgement is vital and yet some people can?t even identify Haiti on a map. In order to be successful in college, students must become involved with services that promote the greater good for people at large. Without applying one?s self, education is somewhat biased. You could learn all day, but what do you really know until you?ve applied yourself? I?m not going to relive high school in college.

Acknowledging the experience and information I have gained, I would tell myself three things, (1) do not allow popular opinion to discourage you from selecting a college, (2) as you enter college try to imagine how this decsion will affect you in five years, and (3) relax, have more fun. I really feel like once I entered college I allowed the world of extra-curriculars to slip out from under me, I would definately go back to when I first commited and sign up/try out for more. I also feel as though I wasted a lot of time deliberating on a college because I was afraid of what my friends would think. I would want to reasure myself that ultimately picking a college is about making the best decision for myself and my future, not anyone else ( while keeping in mind that no one actually cares as much about my decision as I do). Finally, I want to consider how this college would affect my future. College can open so many doors and opportunities, these are just as important factors as the majors they offer and how their dorms look, with this advice I would've helped myself greatly.

High school...the stage on which students rehearse the roles which they will play once they leave... If I were to go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would most definitely advise myself to become more outgoing. I think that I was much too withdrawn during my high school years, and since I have started college, the importance of being outgoing and interactive has become crystal clear. In addition, I would work towards becoming more organized. Working full-time and being a full-time student, as well as a participant in various clubs, requires ample skills in organization. In high school, I did not fully comprehend the importance of organization. However, having seen first hand its importance, I wiould advise myself to adapt that as a quality. Finally, I would stress the importance of just doing my best. As a high school student, I was obsessed with getting straight A's. As a college student, though I still work hard to maintain a high GPA, a letter grade seems to count for less when compared to what I will have learnt at the end of each course.

It is funny how one's priorities change as one grows older and wiser. As a high school senior, I was very irresponsible. I did not take high school as seriously as I should have. I used to skip school, didn't study for tests, wasn't envolved in any sports, and never really thought about my future. I was too caught up in having fun and trying to fit in with the "cool" crowd. If I could go back in time to tell myself the importance of education I definitely would. I would have told myself to study for tests, complete all homework assignments/projects, attend every class, join more clubs/organizations, get involved in volunteer groups, join a sports team, and plan my educational future by choosing a university and applying for scholarships. Also, I would talk to my parents to get them more involved in my education and future. My parents never really went to any open houses in school, helped with homework, checked my report card, and they didn't even know when I skipped school! If I could go back, I would have envolved them more in my life. I wish I could go back.

If I could go back in time, I would have a long talk with myself when I was a senior in high school. For example, I would discuss about the importance of scholarships for college expenses. Knowing that my younger self would eventually have to work two jobs to help pay for books and to go to school full time, I would stress this to her big time. I would tell my younger self to continue trying her hardest on tests and quizzes to get great practice. I would also tell myself to never give up on tasks especially because I am about to graduate and go through harder obstacles. She will need effort, hard work, goals, and dreams to get us ready for our journey through life. I would tell myself that throughout my senior year to be successful in all my clubs, organizations, and school work. I would tell her to keep her head held high for the hardships to come. I would finally tell her that when entering college she should do what makes her happy, study all that makes her smile, laugh as much as she breathes, and to love everything she achieves throughout her education.

Sometimes going back in time is something we all wish we could do. Maybe to change a highschool grade, handle a situation differently or even savor a friendship. If i could go back and talk to myself in high school i would want to let myself know that college is much differnt than high school. College you have a ton of more freedom, you pick your classes, professors and even time/days you want to go, but with that freedom you have to have structure. Your professors aren't going to remind you when you have test, quizes or papers due, or call you if you're slipping behind. That is solely up to you, and you are your own responsibility. I would have wanted to prepare myself more with even better study habits and time management so that making the transition into my first semmister of college an easier, less stressful experience. I have learned so much in my first semister of college so far and I am doing very well, but it didnt come easy. I had to work hard and study alot of get where i am, thats something that high school doesnt always prepare you for.

Dear self, Hello. This is your long lost friend, me...or you in the future. You are such a smart, sensitive, beautiful, and compassionate person. You are capable of doing so much good in the world. However, you are wasting your precious life by dating that deliquent boyfriend whom which you will break up with anyway. Your parents aren't wrong about him. The longer you stay with him the more you will regret it. Don't delay your education which can benefit you forever for something that won't last. I can tell you from experience, you will love college. The friends you'll make will be better than the ones in high school. So many opportunities will arise from your college experience. It will be so rewarding, you will be an encouraging force to those around you who have given up on their own dreams. So don't procrastinate, the time for purposed living is now. In school you WILL discover your true passion. Living with no regrets is not doing what you please. It's from knowing that you've done your best to be who you were always meant to be in life.