Brown University Top Questions

Brown is primarily an undergraduate institution so the professors really are there 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} to work with the undergraduates. They are always around if you need them, are always willing to work on a problem set with you even if it is no their office hours, are there to speak to you about family and personal issues, and are always willing to take that one last look at a paper before turning it. For that true love of the undergraduates by the profesors, I loved Brown.

Josephine

Everyone at Brown is passionate about something. I've learned as much from my peers as I have from my classes. Really, the paradoxically relaxed, yet intense, atmosphere at Brown stems from the passion of the students. Everyone cares enough to go really in depth learning about some topics. And, because everyone is doing this to sate their own desire for knowledge and understanding, there's not a lot of competition. In a class where the number of A's was capped, all the students studied together, knowing that only 3 out of 13 would get the coveted grade.

King

As cliche as this may sound, Brown does offer a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for you to find yourself and learn about what you can do to make a difference in this world. Brown will take you out of your comfort zone, let you examine life in ways you never have before, and allow you to appreciate learning for the sake of learning.

Matthew

Brown provides a unique environment with a very diverse population of students from across the globe. As an Ivy League school, Brown is typical in its strong focus on academics, but I believe it is unique from schools in its students and faculty who are not only highly intelligent but more importatnly also friendly, helpful and non-judgemental. Every student can feel comfortable being themself, without the fear of being judged or ridiculed by others.

Brown University's unique liberal arts education and emphasis on wholisitic learning and the humanities creates an environment that fosters not only learning, but true personal growth and satisfaction. Is has an atmosphere like no other place in the nation in that students are not trained for a vocation, but taught for life.

Jonathan

Brown students are some of the most passionate people you will ever meet. Every student had a different passion such as Euclidean geometry, topoisomerase inhibitors, the media in Greece, economic inequality in the inner city, emerging markets, or Hawthorne. But most students here are bright and will amaze you. Just remember that if they let you in, you're smart and amazing too. You may just not realize it yet.

Nikhil

Brown has an open curriculum. There are no general education requirements (only those within one's major), and as many classes as a student wants can be taken pass/fail. The focus is definitely on the process of learning, rather than the result. For this reason, there is no official GPA at Brown. Also, Brown's students consistenly rank as being among the happiest in the nation. Also, unlike many other high-caliber schools, Brown is very much a collaborative, rather than a competitive atmosphere. There is a noticeable and a welcome lack of cutthroat competition.

Brown University has an open curriculum, which means that there are no general education requirements. Students are able to take whichever courses interest them, no matter what the subject. Each concentration (Brown's term for a major) has its own requirements, but outside of that there are no restrictions whatsoever. This encourages students to be open-minded.

Alyssa

Brown is unique because of the sense of community one feels on campus. The student and faculty population is extremely diverse, and each person is so talented, ambitious, and interesting. Everyone is so tolerant and accepting, which is really conducive to the learning environment because we can all learn from our differences. Even though it is very challenging academically, I would not say that there is a lot of competition among students, only competition a student feels against him/herself in trying reach their full potential.

Brown University offers an open curriculum which provides me with an opportunity to broaden my area of educational interests.. This year I have taken classes in both Anthroplogy, Archaeology and Hip Hop Culutre and would not have had the opportunity to do this at other colleges I applied to. I think this will help me to be a well rounded person and put the responsibility on me to set future career goals.

Brian

The open structure of the curriculum, in which students can choose to take whatever they want, and have the option of doing so pass fail, is extremely unique. With no required core courses, Brown opens up every avenue of study to its students, encouraging them to explore diverse fields, branch out and step out of their comfort zones. The open-minded liberal campus exposes the students to new perspectives, people, ideals, and schools of thought that would be difficult to find anywhere else. The strong academics of an Ivy League school makes Brown a truly unique and amazing university.

Matthew

Beside from being the only Ivy League school I considered, the strong sense of community that is very characteristic of Brown makes the school unique to most others. Students tend to feel really tied to the Brown, not just academically but also on a personal level. In additon, Brown is a very liberal school - much more liberal than any other schools I considered. Brown prides itself on being a socially, politically, and academically liberal environment for students. The liberalism of the school is evident in the students and on the campus, something that set Brown apart from most other schools.

Mansi

It is the definition of flexible - you can do what you want academically to fulfill your own needs. Really.

Rebekah

VERY liberal-minded student body. Not much academic competition.

There are no required courses for this school, only those for the concentrations. This allows students to have great flexibility in choosing their classes. The school is also very environmentally friendly, and the students work hard but remain down to Earth.

Poornima

Everyone at Brown is so unique, intelligent, motivated, and supporting.

Nick

Liberal, accepting university that strives for academic excellence and intellectual stimulation

Jimmy

Probably the greatest school in the country when it comes to quality of life. I couldn't have had a better experience--I've been trying to recreate it pretty much everwhere I've ended up, but it just hasn't been the same. Brown is truly a magical place!

Raphael

.

Open Curriculum. Very close to complete freedom. Learn from your mistakes mentality.

Brett

Brown v. other schools

Brett

Brown v. othe schools

Brett

Brown v other schools

Harper

The major major MAJOR gripe I have with Brown is their financial aid policy. Basically, if you're in the middle income tier, you're screwed. Brown's financial aid isn't nearly as extensive as Harvard, and I have to say taht 50k for the 08-09 school year is a ridiculous amount to pay for an education. I didn't get any financial aid for the coming year and for me and my family, it's like AAAH. Although there were changes to the fin aid policy, not everyone was affected positively by this change.

Taylor

Don't come here if you wanted to just go to an Ivy or didn't get into Harvard. It's not that kind of place. Brown students love Brown and so come ready to enjoy it all. Be a go getter or go somewhere else.

Steph

Brown is the most wonderful place in the world -- for the right type of student. If you're independent, enjoy using your creativity, and really care about learning for the pleasure of it, then you'll love Brown. If, on the other hand, you like the structure provided by distribution requirements or don't have a particular passion for academics, then you might feel lost.

Brown is amazing, it is unique, encourages academic freedom, and seems to provide everything at a student's fingertips, I simply can't picture myself anywhere else and know plenty of people that feel the same. I've made amazing friends and we were all in tears (guys and girls) the last Saturday night there when our first good friend left for home, none of us could have imagined Brown would come to be home so quickly and so strongly. Keeney is def the best freshman dorm on campus- Jameson 323 was where it's at, amazing view of downtown Providence. Go Bruno!

Alex

The food sucks. Seriously, come to Brown.

Felipe

Anything!

Michelle

The food is so-so. I would say go on a low meal plan and then go grocery shopping so that you can make some meals in your dorm when you don't feel like walking out in the rain for the bowl of cereal you'll inevitably end up eating because nothing else looks appetizing.

Dani

I feel bad for people who don't go to this school.

jess

here is one memory that i have of brown that is simple, but continues to stay with me: the guy living next door to me, leo, was in the hallway one day when i was walking to my room. when i passed him he was conversing with the janitor who cleans our dorm. i thought this was strange at first since i've never heard our janitor speak english; i wondered how they could be having a conversation. as i passed by i was pleasantly surprised to hear leo grappling with the janitors language while the janitor was grappling with english. it would have been so easy to just walk by and send a quick smile to each other and move on with our day, but leo took the time and energy to try and have a conversation with a man who probably is not afforded that simple opportunity. the willingness to learn and share experiences with one another is characteristic of the brown experience in general.

Victoria

Brown is the BEST.. I can't see myself beeing anywhere else.

Brett

Concerning administrative deficiencies, they largely spring from similar tenets of liberalism and laissez-faire. Security at Brown is a joke; you can get in to any dorm without presenting any ID, and there is no shortage of horror stories concerning cases of violence, sexual harassment, and vandalism in which the administration essentially did little in the way of punishment. Students who expect that, since they pay 40k a year and worked hard throughout high school to get here, Brown will protect them by enforcing the more important rules with greater gravity should steer clear. Brown is fond of enforcing policies strictly only when it is convenient to them and forgetting about them when they would require more effort. One student I know was given a room which she was evicted from well into the semester because the office of student life had made a clerical error. They had given her a room promised to a transfer student. One might think that, in a closed system, since either would end up with a room either way, they would have just given the other room to the transfer student and not hassled my friend. Instead, they evicted her on a Friday and neglected to give her a place to stay over the weekend. In the meantime, she had gone to several deans in an attempt at appeal and was met with one of the most wildly dissatisfying rounds of buck passing in recent history. One dean looked her in the eyes and said, "Look, you really should go find somebody who cares." Also, due to the hyper-liberalism of many of the students, in a string of recent crimes, Brown Department of Public Safety (DPS) had its hands tied in a way that became problematic. What happened was that a crime was committed in the area by culprits who matched the description of young, male, and black. DPS officers found two who matched the description in the area and asked them to present ID. Deciding that Brown's rule which states that all students must present ID when asked by any staff member, did not apply to him, one of the students decided to become belligerent and got himself arrested. The next day the campus was a-roar with allegations of police profiling and brutality (the student was so belligerent he had to be physically restrained). Students walked around with bandages over one eye in protest. Several weeks later, however, when two muggings, one of which turned very violent were perpetrated by groups of five people, DPS was seemingly ineffective because they were going to be hassled for enforcing the rules they were hired to.

Reese

Brown doesn't really have the greatest resources for all its students. Really engineers and comp sci majors get all the perks and everyone gets the short end of the stick. It's like...you do comp sci, you are guaranteed a job. If you are an engineer you are guaranteed a job. If you are anything else, good luck with networking!

Jerry

Again, let me reiterate the fact that anyone and everyone fits in at Brown. If you're party people, you can always find somewhere to dance and drink *drinking in Brown is honestly not that hard, we have very very lenient Brown police who will not do much more than tell you to put away whatever alcohol that you have or stop a unregistered party once in while*- every single night. If you're more a studious person, the Science Library is the perfect place - open 24/7 with zones limiting noise. The dorms are not the best thing in the world in Freshman year, but they get better every year with the housing lottery. Frats are not very big. A small 8{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} or so are involved at frats throughout Brown, but their parties and events are not completely exclusive. you can find friendship and brotherhood in different ways, but you can always turn to frats if you really feel the need to connect on that level - I have a friend who is having the time of his life right now since he has joined a Jewish fraternity, and others who are struggling to fit in with the crowds that they have to deal with. WHatever it is that you want to do at Brown, you can do it.

Ben

I love Brown, and I am grateful every day for the freedom I have as a student here.

Oftentimes I feel like I hate college because I have really stupid work to do or I hate the social scene (everybody drinks!) but I'm a crazy art student who didn't want to go to college in the first place and honestly, I WOULD NOT SURVIVE ANYWHERE ELSE. This is by far the best college I could have asked for.

Gabi

Brown is best school everrrrrrr!

Tate

Brown is amazing. If it wasn't for the weather, it'd be the number 1 school. You should come.

Gregory

BROWN IS GREAT!!! I'm sooo happy here.

Tessie

I forgot to mention how it's the best school ever!! I love everything about it.

Maria

Housing is pretty decent. Its guaranteed all four years, which is nice since Providence is a city. However, the housing lottery is great if you have a good number, but really sucks if you have a bad one. About a quarter of rising sophomores end up on the wait list, although you can get really good stuff off the wait list. Its just really annoying having to wait until the summer again to find out where you are living.

Natasha

I love this place!

Alex

Be honest with yourself. Do you trust yourself enough to confidently make your own decisions and follow your passions? If so, Brown would be a fantastic place for your college years and it would be very much enriched by your presence.

Ash

Brown alumni tend to LOVE their school and will usually go out of their way to assist you. Non-alums, also, make very favorable assumptions about your ability and intelligence just because you went to Brown.

Jonathon

We need more financial aid for students of low income backgrounds!

Jacquelyn

no

I would recommend Brown to anyone! I love it and don't want to graduate.

love brown!