Brown University Top Questions

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

King

Depends. If you're like me who needs some background noise and movement to study, starbucks and the scili mezz are the ways to go. If you want a peaceful working area, then faunce and the rock most likely will suit you.

Truly, there are a ridiculous number of places to study on campus. There are two main libraries; the more humanities oriented Rockefeller Library ("The Rock") or the science oriented Science Library (Sci-Li). These have every sort of study space from private rooms to group study places to single desks, etc. Beyond that, there's still the campus center, which transforms from a popular dinner place to a study place late at night, J. Walter Wilson, full of great classrooms which are usually empty at night, and many other departmental buildings. And, best of all, in the fall and spring the main green is usually populated with people hanging out and working.

B

Some people study in their rooms, but this is sometimes difficult on the weekends, depending on where you live. The Sciences Library, also called the SciLi, is a very popular place, especially if you're studying in a group. Other good places include the Rockefeller Library (the Rock), a relatively new building nicknamed Smitty B, Faunce, and sometimes even the Sharpe Refectory/Ratty. Both the SciLi and the Rock have quiet study spaces if you don't want to be distracted. Smitty B and Faunce have rooms with chairs and tables that are usually available after normal class hours.

B