Smithfield, RI
Bryant University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bryant University

Daniel

I wish I had known how difficult the transition would be academically. It didn't seem bad, but that's how I ended up with a lower than prefered GPA.

There is not enough focus on the arts such as theater, music, etc. The only real focus is business, which makes for a less diverse group on campus. I am invloved in the theater group, and there is very little involvement for a school of this size. Also, the lack of funding for basic theater needs is astounding.

Austin

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to be more outgoing at college. I understand that it is a difficult task, but I noticed that after my first year of college, I do not know too many people outside of my frisbee team and my classes. This isn't a bad thing, but I feel as if I should be meeting more people because they could potentially help me after college. This is the advice that I try to give to my friends that are currently graduating high school and are set to attend college in the fall.

The basketball courts are usually locked and impossible to play on.

I would say to relax. The unique part of college is finding yourself. There is no longer friends that you know inside and out anymore, you are forced to make new ones. I would tell myself "Lauren, it will all fall into place." During high school, I stressed about everything. I was always worried if my grades were good enough or if I was participating in enough. Ironically , I did not know I could possibly involve myself more until I came to college. The transition is simple and hectic and absurd. It is the most difficult thing I have ever gone through but the easiest at the same time. I feel like I have found myself now and that is one of the best feelings. So, to refer back, I would tell myself to relax. The stress I carried with me every day of my senior year was unnecessary because I did not abide by my rule of thumg; that everything happens for a reason. I should have simply trusted that.

I truly knew almost everything about the school. I did my research and that is what lead me to choose Bryant. They have amazing programs and they care about their students immensely. If I could choose one thing I wish I would have known is that I would never have time to sleep. They push you to be active members in our college community and I have definitely taken on a role that causes me to have very long days.

The most frustrating thing is the cost. I am currently paying my self through school whereas many of my classmamtes are given the privilege of having their parents pay. I just wish it was easier to cope with in the future.

Tyler

Greek Life is a popular organization on campus with 5 fraternities and 3 sororities. Also our Student Programming Board is a popular club that many students get involved with. There are over 100 clubs/organizations on campus which makes it extremely easy to get involved on campus.

The academics at Bryant are undoubtedly challenging, and professors really try to get the most out of all their students. The work load is not unbearable, and you will take away a lot from all your classes and assignments. Many classes at Bryant have group-based projects incorporated in their curriculum, which can be difficult, but also very rewarding. If there is one thing that makes Bryant standout academically, it's the professors. They are extremely helpful and want more than anything to see their students succeed.

MAilene

If i could go back I would tell myself to save, save and save for my college. Growing up in a poor household I had no choice but to go to a community college after high school and than tranfer to Bryant University. Looking back that was the best choice I made. Bryant is very expensive and I can only afford to go there on a part time basis and thats while taking out loans. I would tell myself to work and save before I decided to attend college, or at least look for more scholarships.

There are many resources available to help you succeed, from the writing labs available in ACE to teachers. They are there to help you every step of the way no matter what.

Andrew

Bryant is an easy school to love. For one, the campus is absolutely astonishing. The close vicinity of all the buildings make getting around the campus a breeze. Classes are smaller allowing for more individual attention, technology is abundant so students have a variety of resources for various projects and the faculty/staff always have a smile on their face.

Athletics is a big part of the Bryant community. Many students are also athletes and the pride is shown all over school. We have been voted as one of the best student fan sections in Rhode Island - proving the strong culture we have here. The athletes like to wear their gear and the students love to show their support.

The students at Bryant kind of stick to themselves for the most part, but if you can get them to break out of their shell then they really shine. I believe a lot of the students are more shy, given the small size of the university, which means you may have to go above and beyond to make friends, but they will be some of the most loyal friends you ever meet.

Great academic atmosphere. Very student-centered approach to coursework and professors are always available for more individual attention if the student wishes. Never a problem asking a professor for clarification. Exceptional business program, one of the most notable in northeast.

The students here can be described as cliquey. From personal experience this is not true until you begin to try to meet new people; common stereotype that most kids are stuck up because "rich" atmosphere, but can see that's not true when get to know people.

My school is best known for having the AMICA center, which is a career service that helps find students internships and jobs; along with bringing employers to the school to meet students. Bryant University is also known for its' extensive curriculum.

I would tell myself to be ready for more work and writing essays. I would tell myself to start the first week out with writing all assignments due for the semester down in a planner. Spend more time studying, just becasue you technically do not have an assignment due the next day or something is due in two months, always start them! I would tell myself to learn how to adapt to living with someone who is opposite of yourself. Do not talk down to people as if you are better, but to talk things out and not assume everyone has the same tendencies as you. I would also advise myself to manage money a little better. Just becasue you have your taxes back does not mean you can go out to eat every weekend or a shopping spree is okay. Learn to live within limits, to have fun but not go crazy.

Hillary

Bryant as a whole is a great place to grow as an adult. Some of the best parts about the school are: the small size making the community a very close knit one expanding to relationships with professors and the president, and the overall drive for success by the entire community. These factors can also be taken negatively by some. If you prefer a big school, with highly attended sporting events, then you probably will not be satisfied with Bryant. While the students here have tremendous school pride, it is not a UCONN. The thing that makes Bryant stand apart from other Business Colleges is the International Business Program, which is in fact the reason I chose to study here. Bryant provides students with the option of getting a Bachelor of Science in International Business with concentrations in Accounting, Computer Information Systems, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Management or Marketing. Bryant is also unique in its requirement of having a degree in both the College of Arts & Sciences and the College of Business. If you minor in one, you major in the other. This helps students to attain a well rounded education. All in all Bryant's mission statement of defining "The Character of Success" does a great job at defining the campus as a whole. No matter what your choice of studies, Bryant set's all students in the direction of attaining a successful future.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors here are one of the best aspects of Bryant. With small class sizes, professors have a chance to know each and every student, and establish relationships with the majority of them. From personal experience, the relationships I have established with my professors has created endless opportunities. In the past year, I have had two internships, BOTH which came from past professor's recommendations. I did not even have to submit an application or resume, my professor literally had enough good things to say about me that companies were confident in my ability to perform tasks successfully. In addition to networking advantages, the professors at Bryant take the time to ensure success among all students. They are all willing to go the extra mile to make sure each student can comprehend topics. Many professors supply their Skype username in addition to their cellphone number to emphasize their dedication to the students.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Bryant because I fell in love with the campus and what it stood for the first day I stepped on campus. One of the main reasons it felt like a great fit was the small, tight knit community. After going to a huge high school, I was looking for a college where I could get one on one attention, and form relationships with majority of campus, Bryant was just that. In addition, the facilities were amazing, campus was beautiful, and the people were always so welcoming. It felt like home before I had even applied.

The best way to describe the students at Bryant is diverse. While "majority" of our students are your average middle to upper class, New England residents, there is a great portion of other types of students as well. For example, over 8% of our students are international students. Some examples of students home countries are: Canada, China, Ecuador, Ghana, India, Jamaica, Korea, Vietnam, Venezuela, among many others.

Many people would stereotype Bryant students as “over-achievers” or very “career-orientated”. While I do believe that most students fit this stereotype, there are always some who don’t. For the most part, students at Bryant are very driven and focused. And, many students enjoy competing with each other. While this goal orientated student is very popular here at Bryant, majority of these students also find a remarkable balance between their education and social life. Aside from the over achievers, there are some students here that are just trying to get a degree. Not every student knows what they want to do, and roughly 20% of undergraduate students are undecided. So, as a whole, Bryant does have a large number of go-getter students, but those who do not fit the stereotype are not few and far between.

What are your classes like?

Bryant University focuses on preparing its students for the career world. With that being said, Bryant’s lectures are limited, and instead the University encourages smaller, hands on classes. The majority of classes contain a “group project” which by my sophomore year, I am already sick of that phrase. However, it truly does prepare you for the real world, because lets face it, you do not work alone in a job. There will always be other people that your work and decisions affect. Group projects also teach students to work well with others, and help place less importance on tests. While acing a test is highly important in college, Bryant also exemplifies how important the ability to accomplish tasks as a group is as well. During my time here I have taken one lecture class, Biology, and even that class was very involved. The professor was sure to include students in the conversation and always brought items to class to for students to better grasp concepts. I strongly agree with the way that Bryant organizes their classes. They not only keep me engaged in the course content, but have greatly helped me gain experience to discuss during interviews. This semester my prominent group project is for my Global Marketing class. We have been given the opportunity to voice our opinions to TJX companies on how to better their pet supplies line. It has been a learning experience and has taught me a great deal about my concentration.

Here at Bryant University, with over 90 Clubs and Organizations to be involved in, there are plenty of student activities taking place, for all types of students. Personally, I am involved in the Bryant University Spanish Culture Organization (BUSCO), the Student Programing Board (SPB), and am a member of Greek Life in Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority. Whether you enjoy going out, attending a sporting event, or relaxing on a Friday night with friends, there is always something for students to do. SPB puts on events nearly every weekend to give students "non-alcoholic" events to participate in on the weekends. Whether they are trips to midnight premiers, Bingo, among many others.. you do not have to drink on the weekends to have fun! There are guest speakers regarding various topics almost every week, and the Bryant Players put on theater events very often! As for parties, majority occurs in the senior townhouses. Here Greek Life members, athletes, members of the dance team, etc. gather in their town houses and invite the underclass-men. The parties can range from relaxing playing card games, to strobe lights and dancing. Aside from the weekends. There are events occurring all throughout the week. SPB and all other organizations put on small events in the Roto every day, and there are always philanthropies going on for you to get involved in! I personally participate in around 4 philanthropic walks a year! Two through my sorority and two through other organizations! Bryant is very involved in the community and highly encourages students to give back to others. Aside from week to week activities, homecoming weekend, parents weekend, and other events are a GREAT time on campus. We have a LARGE bonfire in the lake for homecoming, and spring weekend we get a "carnival type" set up all around campus!

Bryant's small size makes academics here a very personal experience. Classes consist of no more than 30-40 students (which would be considered a lecture). Most classes consist of 20-25 students. Professors know everyone's names, and are very involved with their student's outside the classroom. One example of this is how my Finance teacher invites all of this students to get breakfast with him in the cafeteria one day during the semester. He says his reasoning for doing so is "to understand us an individuals, he likes teaching, but enjoys meeting new people and learning more about the student body at Bryant so he can help to address each individual's needs." I was amazed to hear this. And our breakfast went amazing, he is actually helping me to accomplish my goal in double minoring in two languages, and got me in touch with the right people. This instance is a perfect way to describe the academic relationships throughout the entire Bryant community. Beyond personal attention, the majority of students at Bryant are competitive, which Bryant encourages. With constant team projects and real life business practices, students are always pushed to do their best. This is also beneficial in the classroom when not one, but multiple students are involved with the discussions.

There are various "stereo types" at Bryant University. The campus is highly diversified in this sense. Many say that the majority of students are athletes. However, there are approximately 300 students a part of Greek Life. No matter what "stereo type" a student falls into, one thing is true of all Bryant students, they work hard. Students on campus are usually involved in at least one organization, and the library is always full.

nannette

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much about the ridiculous drama going on, in exactly one year from now none of that will matter. I would say to work and study harder to pass theAP Literature exam, I could be saving a ton of money right now. I would tell myself to visit my father in Dominican Republic during the summer before school starts so I wouldn't regret it now. I'd say don't worry, you are gonna be fine, you'll realize that you're just getting started with the rest of your life and here is when you choose which path you will take. Graduation is just the beginning, stop being so worried about the future remember it comes one day at a time.

Nicholas

I would tell myself to enjoy, and make the most of the time with the friends that I had. Most people lose the friendships that they once had in high school. Being able to keep those friendships and keep those bonds strong would really make a difference when one graduates from college. Doing this would give one the ability to better create lasting relationships with contacts and connections in the future.

Bryant University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.