Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bryn Mawr College

Jacklyn

Having gone through my first semester of college, I think that the best advice I would give myself if I could go back in time, is to simply trust myself and the skills and smarts that have taken me this far. I would tell myself that college is a new setting and it is inevitable that not being the best of the best right off the bat is not at all unlikely, seeing as you need time to adjust. I would encourage myself to go onward despite any future bumps in the road, for nothing is impossible.

I think the kind of person that should attend this school, is a person that believes in being active, both on campus and off. Bryn Mawr offers so many praxis programs that, in this day and age, one can agree are the best way to put the knowledege one learns at such a prestigious school, to work. Bryn Mawr needs people that want to get out there and use thier education to better the world through much more effecient ways.

I strongly believe that the best thing about Bryn Mawr College is the consortium we have with Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and the University of Pennsylivania. Having such a diverse assortment of classes offered to me and all the students at all these colleges, is great, seeing as sometimes going to a liberal arts college can be a bit heartbreaking when you realize that classes are not as abundant as one would like them to be. It's also great to meet more people than you would in a school with only a total of 1300 students.

Rima

An ultra-conservative person would have a very, very difficult time at this school.

Be honest with yourself and search yourself for you priorities and inclinations, both natural and fostered, from now. Lay out a path so that when you're feeling lost or tired you can just take it one step at a time. Regularly reevaluate your path, and don't be afraid to alter your path in a healthy way. Don't sever your ties with your family and the community in which you grew up. They can support you on your path and help you figure out your goals once you have your diploma in hand. For graduation is rarely accompanied by an AHA! moment. Also, it is so important to GIVE BACK. People's strengths are brought out when they serve their neighbors. Get involved with tutoring younger students--you'll be surprised how much advice and friendship you can offer! You'll remember when you had those same questions, reflect on how far you've come, and continue to set your goals higher. Learn about the cultures around you and across the globe. Always do your best and remember to keep the innocence and creativity of a child while learning to be responsible.

Ankita

Wonderful: Bryn Mawr stimulates you- intellectually, culturally, and socially- You can find a niche and discover new passions; You'll always have professors to have coffee with and disuss the Japanese recession of the 1980's or find friends to go to first friday with. You will be challenged and your boundaries will be pushed. But you will learn so much and grow and discover and love every minute in the Quaker consortium.

Anyone who wants to party everyday

Apply to colleges that fits you. If you hate the place you are going to, you won't be able to do what you're supposed to! Do an overnight and talk to current students. Get involved in a LOT of activities, they're the best way to meet people. Oh, and facebook is a wonderful site to meet other prospectives. Relax and have fun, you're approaching the best years of your life... but remember, college is hard work. Don't have pre-determined opinions, go with it! Discover new passions, interests and meet everyone, network like crazy!

Jillian

The women here are either very intelligent or make up abstract themes about a reading we are going over in class.

I would probably tell myself, "You know what your morals are, don't let anyone question you when you know what is right and wrong or just not right for you personally, go to Small Group more often and make sure you do all of your class readings."

The worst thing about this school is probably the lack of academic support, I find I need to work things out on my own after talking with a dean.

Lillie

A somewhat artsy, small, liberal, somewhat insane, probably too studious, very focused on traditions, all women's school with a lot to offer academically.

I would tell myself to slow down and really think about where I'm going and where I want to go. I would take the list of colleges that I was planning to go to and cross out every one that I was applying to just because of the name. Then, I would create a completely different list based on where I really wanted to be and where I felt my heart was. Despite everyone elses opinions of where I should go and what I should do with my life, I would make myself work toward and really feel what I (emphasis on I) wanted. Then I would let myself know that when I did get in college, wherever that may be, that I would need to take care of my happiness as well as my school work, that I didn't need to be close to the first people I met (i.e. my roommates) and that there are plenty of very interesting people at school that are worth meeting and getting to know. Most importantly, I'd tell myself that even though I went to a small public school, I'm smart and talented and should believe that.

To be honest, the social life. Yes, Bryn Mawr is right by Haverford and a bus ride from Swarthmore, but being at an all women's college is just not right for everyone. The parties here are non-existant and the parties at the other schools don't even come close to those at larger schools or universities. Besides, all the parties have a terrible female/ male ratio. Most people have to actively search out a social life if they want one. This can and will get frustrating after a while.

Emma

It has a tight community feel, is academically focused, and students have fun!

It has a tight community feel, is academically focused, and students have fun!

We are known for our academics, as well as preparing women to compete in their future careers. Our honor code puts students in charge of deciding their own values and preserving our integrity both academically and socially. Srudents compete academically with themselves rather then their classmates, and have a wide range of interests.

Don?t commit to one school or one career path too soon. College is a time to explore all available options, and you should be aware that many students will change their minds about their passions at least once during their college careers. College will expose you to options you may not have known about, or classes you may not have thought you would like, that may become your passion. Take school seriously, because this is training for your life. Do not waste your time partying or drinking every weekend if you know you should be studying. That being said, make sure you have a social life! Spending too much time with your nose in the books is not healthy.

Shannon
When you step off campus what do you see?

Wawa's open 24/7 and is the most happening place in Bryn Mawr after a Saturday night, around 2am.

When you step off campus what do you see?

The Campus Center does double duty, being a great place to watch a game, too.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The Campus Center can pretty much entertain anyone of any age.

Who needs the gym when you have 144 steps at your disposal?

While all of Bryn Mawr is scenic and beautiful, Taft Garden holds a special charm.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The Lusty Cup, a student operated cafe on campus, is an excellent place for coffee, inventive lattes, and studying.

Carpenter Beach is a lovely place to relax and catch some rays...when the sun's out.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Haffner is the place to go when you have a craving for standard American fare or something a little foreign.

Merion Ave. is an ideal location to park your car, especially if you don't have a parking permit.

What's the dating scene like?

Tradition holds that if you kiss your significant other under Rock Arch, you'll be together forever.

Marianna, our tour guide for the Best of Bryn Mawr, begins with the best job on campus - hall adviser.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Marianna, president of Bryn Mawr's squash club, talks about athletics on campus.

Ari describes Lantern Night and recounts her own experience.

Nicky talks about her favorite tradition, May Day.

Shannon describes the first tradition of every year, Parade Night.

Paige explains the premise of the Bryn Mawr tradition of Hell Week.

A panoramic view of Thomas Great Hall during the returns party.

Marianna and Nicky tell us about their costumes.

Elizabeth tells us about her favorite part of Halloween at Bryn Mawr.

Sandra

Being an all women's college and cultish. :(

Being an all women's college and cultish. :(

Person who studies hard, wants to attend a good graduate school, and does not really care about social life.

Dream, wake up, work for it! Always work hard, no matter which college you go to.

Rose

I would advise keeping a journal. I have found, in the process of working on transfer applications, that writing about my day to day experience helps me to understand the aspects of my life that I enjoy, and what I shy away from. Visiting colleges with those journal entries in mind helped me to see how I would potentially react in that environment, and then further journaling about the college visit helped me to solidify what I like or did not like about the college. The writing process really helped me to hone what was troubling about my college experience, and what I wanted in its place.

Everyone is incredibly apathetic. No one gives a damn about anyone but their friends.

How little what you're doing matters to anyone else.

whitney

a strong liberal and open environment with the drawbacks of a politically correct environment and professors in the mindset of ivy league researchers without the reputation of them

those who feel less than confident with respect to academics will thrive in an environment totally unfocused on anything but intellectual ability, but is a substantially active social experience cannot be replaced with a few close friends and freedom to act as you please, this environment will be unbalanced

even if there are drawbacks choose the school that fulfills the element that is most important to your happiness (i.e. if you will be miserable without a substantial social life, choose a school that has a better social life than academic reputation or if you will be unhappy without a degree from a school with a substantial academic reputation, choose a school that holds academics above social satisfaction, etc.)

Bryn Mawr College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.