Bryn Mawr, PA
Bryn Mawr College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bryn Mawr College

It was a very open place where I felt completely comfortable and at home in an amazing community of brilliant women.

If you find a school that fits your personality, the other stuff will fall into place.

I don't think there was anything I needed to know that I didn't.

Bryn Mawr is a unique place, and being outside of Bryn Mawr and trying to explain why it is so great is hard. Then I come back to Bryn Mawr and feel a great sense of relief because people here understand. They get me. And so saying that, as much as I love Bryn Mawr, it's not for everyone.

It really is the people that make Bryn Mawr. For the most part, everyone is incredibly nice. People will literally go out of their way to help you, say, carry a box to your room or something. I also like that although we can pretty intense, everyone will totally wear sweatpants or pajamas to class. The social honor code means for the most part, people will respect each other's stuff and each other (although we are also known to be passive aggressive). One of the best things about Bryn Mawr is the Customs Program. Although dorms are all mixed (with all classes living together, which I really like), the freshman on a hall are grouped together with two Customs people, generally sophomores, who sort of guide them not just through the first week but through the whole year. I think of my Customs group as a family of sorts- like family some people will be your best friends and some people you won't necessarily get along with- but you are all kind of going through the same thing together. I love the community at Bryn Mawr, since everyone pretty much lives on campus all four years, I've made very close friends that I think my friends who attend other colleges or unis where the students live off campus missed out on.

I remember reading an alum review when I was trying to decide where to go to school, and it said that Bryn Mawr would push you to your limits, challenge and change you. I now understand what they meant, and I mean that I've been pushed to the edge academically, idealogically, socially- but I'm so happy that I came here because I've changed for the better.

There are a lot of feminists for sure, and there is an active queer community. But the great thing about Bryn Mawr is you can be yourself openly without having to worry about judgment. It's hard to see from the outside though.

Very challenging and a tough workload. That is what Bryn Mawr is known for. Academics are number one, and although it can be intense and intimidating sometimes, it is pretty amazing to be around such brilliant women and profs. One thing that I don't think anyone talks about much is that the majors and requirements are really loose and fluid compared to most other schools. No one could say that this makes Bryn Mawr easier, but it really gives you the freedom to study what you want to. I chose political science because you can almost do whatever you want within the major, which is pretty awesome.

Okay so I know people bitch about the lack of social life at Bryn Mawr, I wish we had more parties, blah de dah. I actually like the lack of partying at Bryn Mawr, and I don't consider myself anti-social (maybe you will, haha). There are always parties at Haverford (I am fond of hipster concerts at tiny Lunt basement) or Swarthmore, or now that I'm a senior, going out to bars. So you can easily go out to these places, and then come home to a nice, quiet, clean dorm. You don't have to worry about drunken madness during weeknights (like you do at many schools), and you don't have to worry about your place being trashed. We are more likely to have smaller parties with friends. If you really really think a crucial part of your college experience is going to large keggers, getting trashed, and getting groped by horny 19 year old frat boys every weekend then perhaps Bryn Mawr isn't for you. Sure, I miss the co-ed experience at times. That's why doing a semester abroad was nice, and getting out of Bryn Mawr at times is totally necessary. But mostly, I feel totally comfortable and at home here, and I have a lot of fun with amazing people.

Everybody is a lesbian, or a hairy militant feminist

traditions, accessibility of staff and professors

traditions, accessibility of staff and professors

try a little bit of everything. but parties are fleeting. your gpa goes on your resume, not how long you can do a keg stand.

The prestige of going to a seven sisters college

Amy

pretty, quiet, make a lot of good friends but can be hard

pretty, quiet, make a lot of good friends but can be hard

Students should visit a lot of colleges, especially ones that they choose themself. They should visit them with family, and if they still like them, apply to those schools along with safety and reach schools. Then, they should attend all accepted students weekends. I chose my school because I identified with the students I met at that time, and I knew that I wanted to become a person like the upperclassmen I met. I saw the person I was meant to become in these students. I can't say I was 100% sure about my decision, and I certainly considered transferring. I did not feel a part of the college community until second semester Freshman year.

Academics and the fact that it is an all-womens college

Academics and the fact that it is an all-womens college

The most important thing to do is to spend time at the college you are considering- take a weekend off and go visit the university, spend time with the students (preferably by sleeping in a dorm). Attend a class or two, and make sure to check out what there is to do in the are that the school is located in. It's the only way to figure out whether or not you will be able to live there for four years!

The low caliber of the athletics department

Meldon

That the workload was this heavy! I also wish I had known about all the resources available to me, in terms of internshipsetc.

Don't base your decision on how far away from home the college is.....get out of your surroundings! Go somplace new! You may be missing out the best education and friends of your life!

Sandra

They were the awkward one's in high school who came to Bryn Mawr College to succeed. Some are surprisingly dumb and some are extremely smart. Some really love this school and some really hate it. Most love it in the end because it has to do with psychology where you put a lot of input into something and you convince yourself you really like it. Honestly, I don't really mesh with the people at Bryn Mawr. I actually had to "change" myself to adjust to their personalities...not be myself.

1. Money is an issue. It made me feel guilty having my father pay for my $48,000 tuition and not enjoy college. It's just not worth it unless you know you'll enjoy college and what you want to do. 2. If you are interested in Medicine, Law or some other professional job, definitely attend a smaller school. 3. ALWAYS RESEARCH THOROUGHLY ABOUT THE COLLEGES YOU ARE ABOUT TO ATTEND. You never know if you might have bad luck and attend a "safety" college. 4. Alumni connection is very important. For example, UC schools have a poor alumni net work because the schools are so big and public; whereas Bryn Mawr College has an excellent alumni network. I chose Bryn Mawr College over UCLA. I hope my choice was worthwhile. 5. Don't worry about the name as much. Nowadays it's what graduate school you came out of that matters. 6. Don't think College as somewhere you go next because everyone else is doing it. Definitely attend and graduate from a college, but if you want to take a gap year between high school and college do discover your passions--do it.

It's way too small, I think I thrive better when I can see more people daily. Sometimes seeing the same people over and over again can be a drag. Majors are limited. By Junior year I realized, I wanted to study journalism, communications, business or even art! They don't have ANYTHING like that. I liked the idea of going to an all women's college, but I also realized that having boys present does have a better balance.

Kerlyne

Visit the campus. That is the best way to see whether a student can truly vision themselve being there for most of the year. Also having family or a close family friend close enough to the school is a plus. This helps because no matter what anyone says everyone gets a little home sick and needs familiarity around them.

The lack of parties that have good music instead of alcohol. THE LACK OF GOOD LOOKING MEN!

Katie

Small lecture hall.

Small lecture hall.

Katie Dahl, our tour guide, introduces herself.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Allison, a sophomore, talks about why she came to Bryn Mawr- excellent academics, small classes, a small student to professor ratio, a strong sense of community and traditions.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

A freshman at Bryn Mawr talks about why she chose the college, and something that she wishes they had known.

Near the entrance of the Bryn Mawr campus, the admissions building.

What are your classes like?

Lauren James talks about one thing she would change

Katie takes us inside the common room, where students congregate to watch TV, play piano, have parties and just hang out

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Katherine talks about why she came to Bryn Mawr and gives advice to freshmen.

Lounge area, tea pantry

Free laundry in dorms.

What are your classes like?

Katie talks about what classes and professors at Bryn Mawr are like.

Describe the dorms.

Katie takes us inside her dorm hall,one of the smallest on campus. Students can paint on their stained-glass doors

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Kimberly talks about why she came and one thing she wishes she could change

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Alex talks about why she came to Bryn Mawr inside dining hall, as well as one thing she wishes she knew before she came

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Biggest dining hall on campus, the only one where you can;t get takeout. Voted one of the best college food in country

Describe the dorms.

Erdman dorms, the newest and “ugliest” ones on campus

Katie takes us inside the computer lab.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Katie talks about what it’s like to be a freshman at Bryn Mawr. Hell week is a week-long event, where freshman are hazed by sophomore, the “heller” in a positive way.

Katie talks about meeting Luke Wilson on campus when he was filming Tenure. Also shot of campus center.

Katie Dahl takes us to the small book store on campus.

Describe the dorms.

Marion is the oldest residential hall. and is supposedly haunted. Freshmen live in every dorm on campus. Customs groups are a group of freshman in your hall who get together during the first couple of weeks of school.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Katie Dahl talking about going out in college town, the absence of Greek life and things to do on the weekends.

Katie talks about the biggest library on campus and the Lusty Cup, one of the two cafes on campus.

Dean’s offices, administrative offices and classrooms are located here. The bell tower rings every hour on the hour.

Katie talks about Thomas Great Hall, where a lot of plays, dances and lectures are held.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

A student tells us why she chose to come here and about the Tri-Co

Describe the dorms.

Katie takes us on a tour of a freshman dorm and residence hall.

Alex

the traditions are definately the best thing about bryn mawr. i love the consortium... take tons of classes at haverford (and swarthmore and upenn)- they all get you off campus, and could be your leads to meeting new interesting people and your lead to parties and dating, if you so choose.

Bryn Mawr is SOO accepting of sexuality and race! I've stumbled to class in pyjamas more times than i wish to recall... ok, im exxagerating... some people dress REALLY well. but for the most of it clean, comfortable jeans and pretty shirts/ sweaters. if all else fails, the bryn sweatshirt and jeans.

nope. about the all-womens part, bryn mawr is solely like living in a sorority. you make yuor social scene as you want it... with or without men, or without women if you so choose. and you are accepted for whatever you choose.

the classes are super small. so the professor will notice if youre not in class. the profs make themselves VERY available and have office hours. The consortium, specially with haverford works really well, because even within each department each school has diff specialties. and haverford has the music and astro departments, while bryn has the dance and cities departments.

movies, eating (nice dinners or late night pizza), parties, conversations, group study sessions.. whatever you choose. no one forces you to drink... the honor code is great if you want to date someone, YOU have to make the effort (most of the time). get off campus, meet people besides the ones you meet your first week, etc.

A major stereotype is that being an all-women college, you'll only have female friends and you have to be downright weird. and different.

Bryn Mawr College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.