Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

While not the most socially active college students, mawrtyrs do indeed have a social life. And as most are assertive, independant women, they get along just fine in the Real World as well. As for being man-starved: there is remarkably little griping about the lack of men. In fact, there isn't really a lack of men to begin with; the bi-co is so integrated that nearly all classes are co-ed to some extent. My roommate this summer is a guy and I didn't have to go on an adventure quest to find him; we met in class. There are plenty of Haverboys etc. wandering around the greater Philadelphia area for those who want to date men, although a good many mawrtyrs are too busy to bother. Yes. There is a lesbian community. It's not a big deal.

I came to Bryn Mawr afraid that the first one would be true, based on what people had told me over the summer, and was relieved and happy to find that it has practically no basis. There are some verrry rich people at Bryn Mawr, but by no means are the kind stereotyped common. There are a good number of lesbians, but by no means a majority, and I think that they are more prominent on Bryn Mawr's campus than most simply because it is a very accepting atmosphere. The PC stereotype is probably the most true, but it's over-exaggerated. There are a very wide variety of students at Bryn Mawr, and stereotypes other than smart women don't give them justice.

To a certain degree, yes these stereotypes are true. I will always remember when my mom came to visit for Parent's weekend. On our way from her car to my dorm, we saw atleast three lesbian couples, and two girls wearing t-shirts referring to videogames. My mom turned to me apprehensively and said, "Are you sure you are ok here?" So yes, Bryn Mawr does seem to be a haven of sorts for geeks. If you couldnt find your place in high school, you will most likely find other misfits here. However, I have also found some great girls who are smart, motivated, hilarious and know how to have a good time. I believe anyone can fid their place here.

There is a lot of work at Bryn Mawr and students do tend to make work come first. However, Bryn Mawr women also know how to have a good time and it is quite possible to have a social life. Although Bryn Mawr is not a typical "party" school we are independant women and know how to make fun, have fun, and find fun. And yes although we are an all women's college that by no means makes every one a militant feminist. I think the term feminism is highly misunderstood as well. At Bryn Mawr there is truly a representation of all types of individuals but none that dominate the campus by any means.

While theres no typical Bryn Mawr girl, there is a pretty big gay and bisexual population as in I've met more (at least openly)gay and bisexual women here than I have ever met in my entire life.With this said however, I would still estimate that the majority of the students here are straight. To say we have a social life is pretty much a joke. There is almost always NOTHING to do on the weekends.Parties are incredibly rare. Nearby schools are more likely to have parties but the majority of these parties are so bad, your better off just hanging out in your room and drinking on your own.

Well, at least from my perspective and most students I know, definitely are NOT man haters! but we DO believe in gender equality and strive to gain the respect that women deserve in fields where men are still dominant. About social life, I think that in any college you go to, it is up to you and the social life you want to have, yes, Bryn Mawr demands a lot af academic committment, but there is always time to have fun, meet new people, and relax.... I personally feel great and really enjoying my time at BMC! oh, and about the third...yes, we ARE go getters! lol

No, they aren't. There is a large homosexual and bisexual community on campus, which is to be expected at an all-women's college. However, not everyone is a lesbian, and straight women are totally welcome. Also, while there are some "rich and preppy" women on campus, they are not the majority. In fact, most of the students here are on financial aid, so obviously most people are not rich. There's not really 1 specific type of woman at Bryn Mawr, there's a nice diversity in the personalities and interests of the students.

I mean, arn't stereotypes based in some fact? Yes there are girls who wear capes...not every day though, and we all wear them for Lantern Night, and ONLY Lantern Night. And BMC is SO hard sometimes...there will always be the crazy girl who never failed and doesn't plan on it (not a very realistic lifestyle, in my opinion.) And its COLLEGE! Everyone wants to go crazy and party and hook up. That doesnt change at all, from college to college. But we are not DESPERATE, which is the cornerstone of the Havergirl argument.

They are absolutely not accurate. Bryn Mawr is an accepting campus, so people are more comfortable about being open with others, more specifically in regard to their sexual orientation. Bryn Mawr students can also take classes at Haverford, UPenn, and Swarthmore (all coed schools)! Being 15 minutes from the heart of Philadelphia means that you're anything but sheltered. The reason I chose Bryn Mawr was because I could choose to make it as small or as big of a school as I wanted it to be. This is rare!

No. Bryn Mawr students may not have frats but Mawrters still have parties and know how to have a good time. Mawrters know how to manage time and even though the work load is tough, we get our work done. ALthough the gay population seems large, it is really not very different from any other school, it is just a smaller campus and the gay population is very vocal. In fact the openness of the gay population really shows for the overall openness of the entire campus.