Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

I think because of the community, people aren't as afraid of being out with their sexuality. Though one major thing is that here people don't really like labels at the same time. I would say at least the majority here agrees with women's rights, I don't know of many militant feminists. As for the school work-- there is a lot of work, and it is not easy. You just need to find a happy medium. And yes that's hard a lot of the time, but its possible.

Number 1: .. ummm get over the fantasy people, it's not an admission requirement! Besides, I love living in such an open and embracing community! Number 2: ... I can't deny the fact that students here do spend some quality time with their texts; however, it should be known that there are some of us here (like me, and I'm definitely not alone on this) that read hard and relax too! From room parties to crashing Haver or Penn parties... we do exist!

Bryn Mawr probably has a higher number of awkward students, but I just feel like that means people are really cerebral - they're always processing something. People are a little wierd, but that is because Bryn Mawr is such a socially accepting place that people can be who they want to be. I would say the only really untrue stereotype is that all the students are either lesbians or really desperate straight girls. Not true.

It's true that feminism is strong and that many students are gay, bisexual, or transgender, though there are also many straight students. Students are serious about academics. I wouldn't say that Bryn Mawr is a cult, but there is a strong sense of community and tradition. Bryn Mawr women have a range of personalities, but many students grow to be strong, independent, and confident in their abilities.

A good part of the student body either doesn't shave ever or not as often as they would elsewhere, and there are plenty of straight women on campus (there's a also a very sizable lesbian/bisexual community). Just like any campus, there are some weird people here, but not everyone is. Likewise, there are some raving feminists, probably a higher concentration than at a coed school, but not everyone is.

Like I said, they are right to an extent. There are a lot of weird people at Bryn Mawr, but there are obviously an enormous number of normal people, too. I think because it's an all-women's atmosphere, a lot of stereotypical traits of women are emphasized--there is a lot of cattiness, drama, and gossip on campus that I don't think would be so blaringly obvious if the school were co-ed.

Yes, mostly, although I don't really know how much work other schools assign. I find that everyone cares about their work, and people work HARD and CARE. It's amazing to be surrounded by these kinds of people, so different from in high school. I don't know what other schools are like, but the amount of partying here must be much less than at other schools.

Confession: sometimes I don't shave my legs in the winter time, but usually they're shaved and I think this represents a lot of the campus. Plus, who cares if your legs aren't shaved anyway? If you've noticed, lesbians and boy-crazed are opposites, so I think that they kind of cancel each other out and don't need more of an explanation.

Bryn Mawr is most definately not exclusively a lesbian school, nor is it completely filled with oddballs. The students run the spectrum from women who would have been in sororities to women who were ostracized in high school. The honor code here makes Bryn Mawr a safe space for people to express themselves in the truest form.

Not quite--I feel that many people are intimidated by us because by chosing to go to an women's college we already have a sense of ourselves that most college students need to develop while being away from home for the first time. I feel that most women here have a certain confidence that can be intimidating on the outside.