Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

The most popular organizations are political ones, especially SGO (student government organization). The least popular are the sports teams. I'm currently most involved in Anime Club. Anime club meets on Friday nights from 7 to 11-ish. We watch from two to six series a semester. Each meeting we watch around 4 episodes of 2 series. I mostly provide the anime for viewing pleasure, so I like to think I'm fairly important. We watch any type of anime, from light humor to dark angst. It's really quite fun. Watching it with an entire group of people making fun of the action is awesome. When in or out of the room? I feel safe having my door entirely open when I'm in it, and while I lock my door, I have a friend who never locks hers. So I feel pretty safe on campus. Athletic events are all buy ignored. The more politically charged the guest speaker, the more of a crowd they are bound to draw. We have a number of theater groups which draw a varying number of people. Dating scene? I've never been interested. I met my closest friends through Customs Week before school starts and through Japanese Class. If I'm awake at 2AM Tuesday, it's either because I have a physics problem set or a paper I've put off due the next day. Bryn Mawr RUNS on Traditions. We have 4 big ones during the entire year: Parade Night, Lantern Night, Hell Week, and May Day. They're all tons of fun. People party as much as they want to,when they want to. We're known as being a sober school, though. Bryn Mawr doesn't have a sorority. Last weekend was Plenary, where we suggest and vote on amendments to the School Constitution and the end of Hell Week, which was great. Saturday nights and drinking have never gone together in my head. The school hosts any number of alternatives during the school year on Saturday nights, though, from stand-up comics, to concerts, and performances of all kinds. Off-campus usually means going to Philly, where there's the Franklin Institute, the Museum of Modern Art, Old City, Penn's Landing, and the sports complexes. It's a big city without feeling like one. If you want to stay in Bryn Mawr, though, there's a GREAT Borders bookstore right next to a pizzarea that has the best-tasting pizza I've ever had. The train will also take you to Ardmore, which is known for having a great deal of high-end stores.

Our campus is often considered to be pretty sober, but I would disagree with this. The thing is we have rather non-traditional parties. For example in and around most of our traditions, everything from Parade Night at the beginning of the year to May Day at the end, there's a lot of partying, campus wide partying. more traditional parties such as our infamous Halloween parties occur to, and normally if you want a party you can find it, but if you don't want a party you don't have to be near it. It's all really up to what you want to do. Bryn Mawr has four main traditions, Parade Night, Latern Night, Hell Week, and May Day. we take them very seriously, including the Duck Pond run during Hell Week. Parade night is where the Sophmores throw waterballoons at the Frosh as they run by, and is the night of the first monday of class. Latern Night is where all the Frosh and transfer students recieve their laterns. each class gets a different color latern, Light Blue, Red, Dark Blue, and Green depending on year. Hell Week is when the sophmores 'hell' the frosh, and make them do all kinds of crazy stuff. participation in these activies are all voluntary and you don't have to do anything you don't want to, though I recommend doing everything, espeiclaly Bedtime Stories when the seniors read the Frosh stories the night before the Frosh have to run to the Haverford Duck Pond. if they don't make it to the Duck Pond in time, they get thrown in! May Day is when we dance around may poles, may holes, and spend most of the day drunk on the main green. there all types of fun activities, good food and other traditions. At every one of these traditions, barring hell week, are step sings, where we sing songs, some in Greek, and also pop or traditional songs. each class has it's own song that they sing. it's fun.

Rugby! I have to admit that I m biased towards rugby since I was a team captain however I do truly believe that the Rugby team is one of the more popular groups on campus. We do a significant amount of community service, we throw fun parties, we are open to everyone joining/trying it out, and we're fairly loud and entertaining. OK - very loud. Students leave their doors open a good deal of the time if they're in their rooms. It also depends on the dorm, hall, floor... dynamic. Freshman have a more communal living situation so open doors are more common. Dorms like Radnor and Pembroke East are more social so students often have their doors open. Athletic events are fairly popular. Facebook has turned out to be the most effective way of getting people to come to events (basketball, rugby, lacrosse, frisbee). Guest speakers are generally popular. Poor advertising and scheduling are evident causes for low attendance of events however. Dating! Depends completely upon who you ask. It's easy to date on campus if you're looking to date women/post-bacs. It's easy to date at Haverford and a bit less convenient but completely possible to date at Swarthmore as well. All of the Center City and University schools are just a train ride away. If I'm awake at 2am on Tuesday I'm doing one (or more) of the following: 1. Dancing at an impromptu dance party with friends. 2. Finishing assignments. 3. Watching TV or a movie with best friends/significant other. 4. Having sex. 5. Fucking around on Facebook. 6. Filtering through my email. 7. Figuring out how to pay for next semester. 8. Stress-eating. Frats/Sororities don't exist at BMC.

People who claim that BM deprives of a social life, are people who didn't try. They probably stayed put and expected the party scene to come to them. If you want a social life, you need to go out and try to meet people and change scenes now and then. I have a totally satisfying social life. Sometimes I'm thankful that Bryn Mawr's campus itself doesn't have as much (as often or as big) parties on campus, because it's easier for me to balance academia and partying at the same time. I attend church on UPenn's campus every Sunday (and often on Fridays as well) so I meet a lot of people though the church and have lots of friends on other campuses through that. My two best friends at BM are from my hall from freshmen year. One of them was my roommate and the other lived across the hall from us. We lived together (the three of us) sophomore year and will be hall mates senior year. Some of my other close friends are from classes/extracurriculars. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm studying (class-reading or writing a paper). Partying really depends on the person. On a Saturday night, other than drinking, I'd be ordering in and watching a movie with my roommates. Students in dorms leave their doors open (especially in the fall semester, because it's warmer). A lot of people leave things outside their doors as well - their junk, shoes, or even candy for passer-bys!

My social life has been based around my customs group, which is a family-like group of freshmen you live with your first year. We always do things as a group, and we are all very close. I am involved in a few groups that have to do with volunteering or tutoring, but I have made more friends through working, my customs group, and random encounters. Even if you're not involved, it's very easy to make friends, since we are all such a community. Athletics are practically nonexistent. Bryn Mawr has a really good rugby team, but the other events generally don't bring a crowd. Bryn Mawr has so many other aspects that unite us that athletics really aren't that important. The biggest events are traditions: Parade Night, Lantern Night, Hell Week, and May Day. Each has its own concept and each unites the student body that much more. There are usually pretty good events going on at either Haverford or Bryn Mawr on the weekend if you look (speakers, music, theatre), and they are usually popular. There is also the occasional party (Halloween and Pem Parties are famous), but people generally go off-campus to party, especially because there is no Greek Life at Bryn Mawr or Haverford. A lot of people also go into Philly to have fun because there's a train station practically on-campus. Bryn Mawr is not a party college; it's the place you come home to.

Although the campus is very safe, it is an 'open' campus (meaning the campus is in no way fenced in, gated, or locked). For this reason, all dorms and most academic buildings require special key cards that all students receive. After hours all academic buildings are locked and only people with these cards can enter. Within dorms, the Honor Code requires that people respect other students rooms and stuff. Many people leave belongings in the common rooms or outside their doors. Most people lock their doors when they leave the dorms. There are a tons of school traditions that are very unique to BMC history. Many of which are secret until students experience them. Some of the big ones include Step Sings, Lantern Night, Hell Week, and May Day. Not a big party school. Awake at 2am on a Tuesday? You are probably doing homework or procrastinating/taking a break to talk with friends, watch movies, or go on Facebook. No fraternities (women's college) or sororities. Saturday nights are filled with alternative events. Free film screenings on campus (in warmer weather they show films outside on the lawn), Ethnic club events, Dance parties. You can also go into Philly for the night, catch a show or eat out.

I am involved with 2 christian organizations and mixed company, a club dedicated to talking about people's mixed backgrounds. Students on campus do leave their doors open and athletic events are kind of popular. Bryn Mawr is not a big athletic school, but when there are soccer or lacross games on campus people go and cheer. It is the same way with the theatre. Bryn Mawr is not a big theatre school, but when there are plays a lot of the campus and town attends. Guest Speakers I feel are the most popular, Bryn Mawr has had some really good ones. There is lots to choose from when it comes to the dating scene. There are colleges all around and plenty of people to meet. I met my closest friends freshman year in classes and on my hall. If I am awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am studying. Most Bryn Mawr students do not party during the week. The weekends are the time for the parties. Bryn Mawr does not have sororities, but we do have traditions such as hell week, duck pond run, parade night, may day and lantern night. Also if you don't drink or don't party there are plenty of other things to do on and off campus. Philadelphia is a nice city for its museums and music scene.

Bryn Mawr students are very supportive of LGBT groups, and they are always extremely popular. Because of the size of the campus, I do not feel like much action can be taken to rally around more than one disadvantaged group at a time. So while LGBT organizations prosper, religious and racial ones can be left in the dust. There are, however, about a million organizations that you can join, and if you do not find one you like, you are free to start your own. However, with the large amount of work students ahve on campus, many groups shrink over time. There is a lot to do on campus. I almost want to, say too much to do on campus, especially with the amount of work we have, because some events are dramatically under attended because there is always something else to do. Big parties do not often happen on campus, but there are many small gatherings, some of which involve alcohol on any given weekend night. The Princeton Review has put us on the "Stone Cold Sober" school list; this is not true. Many students choose not to drink, but alcohol is relatively easy to find. At 2am on a Tuesday, I am generally working, and so is nearly everyone else.

Okay so I know people bitch about the lack of social life at Bryn Mawr, I wish we had more parties, blah de dah. I actually like the lack of partying at Bryn Mawr, and I don't consider myself anti-social (maybe you will, haha). There are always parties at Haverford (I am fond of hipster concerts at tiny Lunt basement) or Swarthmore, or now that I'm a senior, going out to bars. So you can easily go out to these places, and then come home to a nice, quiet, clean dorm. You don't have to worry about drunken madness during weeknights (like you do at many schools), and you don't have to worry about your place being trashed. We are more likely to have smaller parties with friends. If you really really think a crucial part of your college experience is going to large keggers, getting trashed, and getting groped by horny 19 year old frat boys every weekend then perhaps Bryn Mawr isn't for you. Sure, I miss the co-ed experience at times. That's why doing a semester abroad was nice, and getting out of Bryn Mawr at times is totally necessary. But mostly, I feel totally comfortable and at home here, and I have a lot of fun with amazing people.

We have A LOT of clubs. there are clubs for pretty much anything. You want to ice skate? you can. rugby? yep. stained glass? uh huh. We are a 20 minute train ride from Philly. We are on the main line, a line of towns outside of philly that boast a lot of restaurants, a lot of cafes, shops, boutiques and other such things. If you want to stay on campus you can, there's always stuff to do, but you can also get off campus and do whatever you would like. If you're awake at 2am on tuesday, you are doing homework. and probably will be doing homework for at least another hour. I met my closest friends through the very first class I had at bryn mawr. it was a german class that met 7 days a week for an entire year. Even though we rarely have class with each other anymore, we are great friends, make sure to eat with each other as often as possible and are all living together next year. If you want to party, you can. it just tends to be on other campuses. If you want to stay in, watch a movie with your friends and share a bowl of popcorn or a bottle of wine, that's cool too, and tends to be what most students do.