Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

This even sounds corny in my head, but the best thing about Bryn Mawr is that this is just a fantastic place to be. The Student Government Association is extremely strong, so campus life and administration are largely in student hands. It is not very often that students want to take up issues with administration, which is exceptional, because administration is largely students. The Honor Code, which prohibits cheating and stealing, is strong, so professors trust us to take self-scheduled, unproctored exams during finals period, and students never feel worried about leaving their dirty shoes in hallways and clothes on the drying rack in a laundry room. This may not seem like a big deal, but it feels great trusting your fellow students and having a college that trusts you; I have more than one friend who is at a college that treats students like the enemy.

Bryn Mawr is pretty set apart from the rest of the world, even other colleges. Simply by virtue of being an small, all-girls school that puts its emphasis on academics, we are kind of an alternate reality. But it's wonderful because our size gives a sense of a close-knit community, our gender makes us kind of like a sorority, and our devotion to classes gives a certain meaning to our lives. The best thing about Bryn Mawr is probably our traditions; I think that's the reason Bryn Mawr has been able to survive as an all-girls' school. It's just another way Bryn Mawr becomes a real community. I think a lot of students would be happy to see more parties going on on-campus. This year, people have had to go off-campus (haverford, swarthmore, villanova, penn) to party, but it's usually worth it.

After two years, Bryn Mawr has me entirely torn. On one hand, I feel that the academics are challenging and rewarding, and that I have had the opportunity to meet a number of bright, dynamic, interesting people in my peer group. However, I dislike the competitive nature of the school (Despite whatever the literature says about our honor code, etc eliminating competition, it seems like everyone is pushing for the best grade, and even to seem as if they are under the most pressure), and I have found that a great number of my peers, while highly intelligent and good-natured, are rather immature and closed-minded. The social opportunities are also lacking; I've often told friends at home that I feel that I am not having the normal college experience, and I mean that in a negative sense.

I love the fact that Bryn Mawr is a women's college. I came not knowing what to expect, but now I love it and wish that every woman could experience it. Bryn Mawr is like one big sorority, except that we work harder in academics. It's very small, but when you start feeling shut in you go to Haverford or Swat. I've made a lot of friends at other schools, so the size of Bryn Mawr really isn't a problem. The area is definitely a college town, the Main Line is great, and Philly is a great resource. There is a Ton of school pride. It's probably one of the best things abot Bryn Mawr, and alums have just as much as current students. The traditions are very unusual and memorable, and create a great feeling of connectedness and community on campus.

Overall, I adore my school. I think that the best thing here is that everyone comes to BMC because they are incredibly passionate about learning. This creates an environment of supportive, interesting people who all value their education. The campus is gorgeous, making this a wonderful place to live. The dorms are also great. The school creates awesome dorm life because we have a great DLT (dorm leadership team) that makes dorm life fun. The only thing I hate here is the food. The dining services budget has been cut recently, making the food quality absolutely abismal.It's essentially disgusting.

Freshman year Bryn Mawr felt like the perfect size. By Sophomore year it felt too small. By Junior year I left to study abroad for both semesters. I spend most of my time on campus either in my room or in the library, generally studying. A lot. When I tell people I go to Bryn Mawr, I get a genuine mixture of reactions. I live in California, so more often than not people in my home town haven't heard of it. But in the wider world of academics, I get met with quite a few "oohs" and "ahs", followed often by questions about it being all women.

I fell in love with Bryn Mawr upon first arriving on campus. I applied to no other all-female schools, and wasn't really interested in feminism before getting in. The experience has been a magical one; I haven't regretted my college choice in my four years here. I am graduating in May and going to Bryn Mawr was the best decision I've ever made. I enjoy the small community here, recognizing most of the women around me even if I haven't been introduced to them yet. Girls here are quirky, and I never feel like I have to be anyone else to fit in.

Here, you'll find some of the nicest people in the world, as well as some of the brightest. Bryn Mawr students know that they attend a top school and they're proud of it, though not to an annoying degree. Moreover, the school's Honor Code permeates -- and in a very positive way -- almost every aspect of campus life. With those things said, Bryn Mawr is only a great school for anyone for whom it is the right fit. For this college, I would do extensive research and, if possible, a visit.

I love being at Bryn Mawr because of the options- we have so many, whether it's classes, activities, things to do, places to go. It's a gorgeous campus, the administration takes care of us, students take care of each other. With our Honor Code and our all-women's environment, we have a great community. As the saying goes, "You only have four years." I think Bryn Mawr students take a lot out of their college experience.

Bryn Mawr is a unique place, and being outside of Bryn Mawr and trying to explain why it is so great is hard. Then I come back to Bryn Mawr and feel a great sense of relief because people here understand. They get me. And so saying that, as much as I love Bryn Mawr, it's not for everyone.