Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

The best things about Bryn Mawr are the traditions we have. We have 4 major traditions and many many minor ones. Our major traditions are Parade Night, Lantern Night, Hell Week, and May Day. Nothing makes us seem more like a cult than Lantern Night, but it's so fantastic. My best memory, however, will always be the Duck Pond Run during Hell Week. Running to the Haverford College Duck Pond makes you more of a Mawrtyr than anything else! When I tell people from home that I go to Bryn Mawr, I mostly get blank stares. No one in Texas seems to know where it is! I almost always have to mention that it's one of the Seven Sisters. Once they know what Bryn Mawr is, they are always very impressed. Then they ask where I meet men. We all love our school so much. It's almost impossible to attend this school and not love it! We're proud to be here and to take advantage of the opportunities Bryn Mawr offers to its students. We can take classes at Swarthmore, Haverford, or the University of Pennsylvania. I really like that because I love living on a small campus, but I have the course selection of a major university.

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is the sense of family and community that you gain throughout the years here. The size of the student body is great, its small enough that you are hardly ever in a huge seminar class, but large enough that you don't feel like everyone knows everyone. Bryn Mawr is a prestigious institution and has a good academic reputation. It is easy to get into Philadelphia if desired, but is also close to the town of Bryn Mawr which much quieter than the city. The school is about to come under the administration of a new President, which is very exciting. Also, the student body is self-governed for most things so we have the ability to make changes that we feel are important for the students. Although there is a good sense of community here, recently there has been some controversy surrounding race and ethnicity issues on campus. Athletics have not been a huge part of campus life, but the program is growing under the guide of a new Athletic Director. Bryn Mawr has many fun traditions to help foster the community, although to non Bryn Mawr students they often sound very strange.

Bryn Mawr is a quirky women's college. My favorite aspect of the college our traditions. We have the running of the freshmen on parade night, the first night of classes, we have class colors, lantern night where all of the freshmen get a lantern in their class color which will be theirs forever, there is hell week which is sort of an initiation ritual, we have sing-alongs, the senior steps. They might sound odd but they really serve the purpose of making every student feel at home. Bryn Mawr is a small school, for some this could be a turn off but for me personally I like the close-knit feeling. Many people have never heard of Bryn Mawr although it well known in the world of academia. There is a nice downtown area walking distance from campus with shops and restaurants and the campus is walking distance from a train that goes straight into Philadelphia. From the station in Phili one could hop on an Amtrak or catch another train to the airport. So from Bryn Mawr College you could easily get to anywhere in the world that you want to go.

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is that it can be as small or as big of a community as you want it to be. Philadelphia is an amazing city to be near, and the amount of schools surrounding Bryn Mawr is daunting. There are endless opportunities to meet people, go out, and have fun. People who complain that Bryn Mawr is too sheltered and isolated are plain WRONG and have not taken the time to explore the area. Most people who hear that I went to Bryn Mawr crack jokes about lesbians. This gets very old, especially since it's not exactly true. It just shows how closed-minded people can be. Bryn Mawr has amazing traditions which you can read about on the website. But here's one that isn't up there, for example: I just walked during graduation wearing regalia (cap, gown, and hood) that belongs to the school. It felt awesome to know that tons of other Mawrtyrs before me had done the same, and the 150 year old rabbit fur on the hood was definitely something that other schools don't have! There's also a fur free option now :)

There's so much I love about Bryn Mawr, besides it's BEAUTIFUL campus, there's a lot of beauty in everything else about Bryn Mawr. There's a lot of school pride. To be honest, I wasn't so sure how I felt about the many traditions that this school has, but at the end of my freshman year I loved everything! All of the traditions and the students' attitudes towards it make the school very unique. I've heard from students from colleges around that they don't have that in their school. I think the size of the student body is also just perfect. Is very easy for you to know everyone, and everyone is just so nice! During my time at BMC I've gone through two hard moments and each time I was amazed at how supportive everyone was! Professors are also great, and the fact that we have small classes makes the bonding with students, professors, and staff just so much easier. It's a great feeling. I love spending time at home and always, like everyone wish for longer vacations, but when I come back to BMC it really feels like a home as well.

I love the people here, both the faculty and the students. The teachers strive to challenge us but also make learning enjoyable and rewarding. The students are mostly very driven and we can talk about what we're studying and not worry about what others think, and this applies to most conversations about anything. Outside the classroom we are involved with many activities that add to the college experience. Bryn Mawr is not a "party school" but we have fun wether it's at parties or just hanging out with close friends, and I feel that I'm not lacking in the social aspect at all. I feel that the administration and the deans are very supportive and encourage active participation in the classroom, school community, and the outside community. One thing that makes Bryn Mawr particularly special is the emphasis on traditions that annually bring the campus together. I'm a freshman this year and I already greatly appreciate the traditions and what they mean to the college. Overall I think that Bryn Mawr is practically perfect.

Bryn Mawr is well known for its traditions, and I truly enjoy them. I must admit that at first I was a bit skeptical about a few, but after experiencing them I really felt like a member of a community. The school is small, but as small as it seems it very easy to venture off into different paths. One can go a week without seeing a friend. Benefits of going to a small school is that we have lots of resources available and more one-on-one meeting times with faculty and staff. People are often shocked when I inform them that I attend Bryn Mawr, because it's an all-womens college. I reassure them that it's not what it seems, we are a member of a Tri-Co as well as the Quaker Consortium. This allows students to take classes at Haverford College, Swarthmore College, and University of Pennsylvania. We also reside within minutes of Harcum College, Rosemont College, and Villanova University. I love that Bryn Mawr is in a beautiful college town, and only a train ride away from Philly.

I think Bryn Mawr is an incredibly unique experience. We're given power, independence, and respect in a way that I can't imagine getting at other colleges, but at the same time, there's tremendous pressure, both on an academic and social front. You're expected to do your best and work your hardest, which is both empowering and a little exhausting at times. Bryn Mawr has an incredibly beautiful campus and committed community members who all really want to be a part of things; we're also one of the most academically intense schools in the country. I think Bryn Mawr has name recognition in academic circles, but I genuinely wish that we got a little more credit for putting in as much effort as we do. The friends you make here are the best you'll have in your life - I finally understand what everyone meant about keeping their college friends. I'm part of a family and part of a community in a way that I think would be impossible at a larger, less community-based school.

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is the academics. Academically I am challenged. I'd change the fact that there is absolutely no social life. In my opinion, the size is perfect. Most people haven't even heard of the school and if they have may references to the gay/bisexual population here.I spend most of my time on campus in my friend's dorms. "What college town"? The administartion's wonderful.The biggest recent controversy involves a party that many African-American students believed was racially offensive. The party for the slogan involved the n-word.About one-third absolutely love the school and another third complete despise the school and the fact that there at an all womens college. The other third have simply come to terms with the positives and negatives of the school.Bryn Mawr is A VERY VERY weird school. You have no fucking idea!!! I'll always remeber crying the first two weeks. The most frequent student complaint is the lack of a social life.

Bryn Mawr is a great place, but prospective students should know that the community is unique and not for everyone. People often overlook basic information about the college and complain about it later. For example...I often find myself grumbling about the lack of boys on campus or at social events, before remembering I'm at a women's college. It sounds petty and obvious, but it's easy to forget silly facts in a stressful academic environment. On the same note, it's not uncommon to hear people complaining about seeing the same faces every day (yes, it's a small campus!) or about the general PMS that strikes the student population during particularly stressful times. It's important to remember that Bryn Mawr is designed for women to grow into free-thinking, socially conscious, and scholastically well-rounded individuals. I try to focus on these ideas, and I find I don't actually have anything substantive to complain about.