Bryn Mawr College

« See more reviews of Bryn Mawr College

Nothing in particular I like about the school. The admin is pretty unaccomodating except for a few people. Theres absolutely NO college town. Its not that easy to go to Philadelphia since its pretty expensive for a college student- $8 round trip. There are a lot of race issues on campus. People are definitely not as open minded as they may pretend. SGA is a farce and is an exclusive club. People are very unaccepting of different religions and beliefs. I am appalled by how little people know about the world. Very ignorant. The biggest recent controversy was not letting a student run for SGA president because of non-existent reasons that the current SGA made up (the real reason is because she was of a very contested and debated faith). There are scary traditions that one should be weary of. Life is very mundane and secluded in that school- Its horrible if you are very outgoing.

The academics here are wonderful, and the campus is unbelievably gorgeous, especially in the spring. There's very little partying, but for the few parties there are, like May Day, the whole campus usually turns out. The fact that there are no sororities masks the fact that Bryn Mawr is one giant sorority (crossed with a pagan cult), including all the silly trials required for "joining" (Lantern Night, Hell Week). The traditions here are very strong. There's a good community feeling and even if you don't know everyone personally, it's pretty easy to recognize faces. Bryn Mawr as a town is pretty nice. There's a grocery store, a Borders, and an artsy theater. Unfortunately many of the restaurants are pretty expensive, but it's easy to take the train to Philly or any of the other suburbs, so you can pretty much find anything you could possibly want.

Going to college was scary for me at first, as I'm sure it is for most people. As soon as I got to bryn mawr I fell right into everything, like a fish in water. The customs group (the freshman who live on your hall led by the 'customs people' who act like your big sisters for whatever you need) was really nice because you immediately had friends (or at least people to go to dinner with). The traditions make bryn mawr an incredibly special place and it brings the whole school together. My most touching moments have been while working for reunion weekend seeing old old old ladies coming back with their lanterns, excited to see how the college has changed, but mostly to see how is has stayed very much the same. Bryn mawr is timeless in its culture, class and nurturing atmosphere.

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is the student body. People are friendly and often hold doors open for one another even when it isn't expected. One student who swipes meal cards in the dining center even asks how diners are doing and tells them to enjoy their meal. I like the smallness of Bryn Mawr. I don't think that Bryn Mawr is well-known outside of the Philly area, but since I'm from this area, when I say that I go to Bryn Mawr people reply that I must be smart. The campus is absolutely gorgeous. The Customs Program for incoming students is a great way for first-year students living on the same hall to get to know each other and their two sophomore mentors. I just wish that the quantity of schoolwork was reduced so that I wouldn't have to see everyone look so stressed.

Bryn Mawr is a really diverse school with more smart women than I could have imagined being in one place. It is a place that makes women feel comfortable, but challenges them to go beyond their comfort zones. It is a place that makes women feel confident and assures them that they can tackle whatever it is they want to achieve. Athletics are not widely supported on campus but they are starting to become really competitive. We play in the Centennial Conference, one of the top conferences in Division Three athletics, and for a small women's college, we put up a good fight. At Bryn Mawr, you can do whatever it is you want to do, and be supported, whether it is arts or athletics or a political club. It's a very conducive environment for growing as a person.

I am absolutely in love with Bryn Mawr. Entering as a freshwoman, I felt supported by both the staff, faculty, and students. I think Mawrters very quickly become a part of the large Bryn Mawr Sorority. Our four major traditions (Parade Night, Lantern Night, Hell Week, and May Day) really bring the students together in a way that both creates a space for each class but also allows individuals to push themselves outside their comfort zones. I will never forget that during Hell Week, my best friend, who is not an especially extroverted person, got up on the stage a Goodhart and did an awesome lipsyncing number with myself and a few others. This was a huge step for her and she has never regretted it and remembers it fondly.

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is the Growth and Structure of Cities department. I would change the skateboarding policy. Just right. You're gay/you're a nerd. Radnor lounge. "What college town?" BMC's administration is fine unless that includes the deans. The deans are the antithesis of helpful. The biggest controversy on campus was the SGA secretary's invitation to a "mo money mo problems" party which contained a racial slur in the description. There is a lot of school pride and a lot of school hate. Everything is unusual about Bryn Mawr starting with the large numbers of students interested in RPGs and wearing capes. Dorm Olympics 2007. That the social life sucks. And it does.

Bryn Mawr is amazing. To me, the best thing about Bryn Mawr is the wonderful community of women. I've met so many amazing ladies here, and I've felt so welcomed into the community. One thing that I would change about Bryn Mawr is the phys ed requirement (I hate gym). The school, to me, is just the right size, because I didn't want to go to a large school. However, some might find it a little small. For example, somehow everyone knows everyone else and it's a little weird, but I find it funny. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm, hanging out with the ladies on my hall. Mostly we watch movies or sit in the hallway and have amazingly ridiculous conversations. I love them!

The best thing about Bryn Mawr is the students. I really love my fellow students, and in my past three years here i have really grown from the connections that i have garnered as a Bryn Mawr student. The friendships will surely last a lifetime. The school is small but with Haerford, Swat and UPenn available to take classes, and Villanove and Philadelphia so close, it feels much larger. People are usually impressed by Bryn Mawr. I even had priority for looking at apartments because the landloard likes how friendly and responsable Bryn MAwr students are. Bryn Mawr shops are too expensive for most college students. but Philly is only a 15 min train ride away.

I applied ED here and sometimes I regret it. There is definitely a concept of the "Bryn Mawr Bubble"- that the campus is its own environment and sometimes it can be hellish. There's definitely a feeling of need to get off campus every once and a while. It can be a pressure cooker. At the same time, orientation is great, and if you get involved in anything on campus, you can meet people very easily. And you meet their friends. I love the traditions here, though sometimes I don't understand the hype. The administration is great, and if you get a good dean, you can really luck out.