Boston, MA
Bunker Hill Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Bunker Hill Community College

Raquel

I will tell myself to put the drama to the side , be tough and look at the bigger picture. When we are at that age, we think everything will be handed to us and life is easy. If I could go back, I would save all my money towards my education, especially my bachelors and keep my GPA at a 3.5. Bascially to focus on school because it was the last year and I was almost done.

When I was in high school, many students spoke badly about community colleges so when I messed up in my senior year and graduated with a low GPA, I ended up there. In the begnning of the school year, I was a bit arrogrant and felt like transferring as soon as possible. However, once I got to know the professors and saw their passion for teaching , it changed my view on things. Also the diveristy at BHCC , brings more awareness of other cultures. Colleges don't make the students, it's how students use their education that makes a difference.

The most frustrating thing was ending up in a crowded classroom. It was hard to concentrate when you felt like you could't breathe. It would get hot and uncomfortable. Those classes were usually the longest too, up to four hours.

amanda

My advice to my 18 years old self is to just stay young as long as you can. I attended college for one semester after highschool then ended up just working 2 jobs rather then going back. After high school I wish I could have completed college and got a degree. Getting back in the “groove” of things as a 27 year old is tough. My weakness is anything to do math. if it doesn't have to do with finding deals at your local department store, its really hard for me. After high school I think its still fresh in your mind making it easier to understand the curriculum and grasping concepts. I think thats the only thing I wish i would have done differently. Its never to late to accomplish a goal but a younger mind that can stay up past midnight to study or pull a all nighter, is somthing I envy a little.

Some of the required classes for certain majors to take before graduating.

I love what bunkerhill has to offer. They really try to work with their students and provide the best support they can. It can be from helping with taxes to providing a food pantry once amonth for students in need.

Leila

Looking to better their lives by attending school and hopefully getting a well paying job.

Make sure to be prepared for college before you attend and that you have a goal to work towards. Spend more time gettign financial aid and researching the classes you want to register for before doing it! Good luck and stay strong!

Fairly priced and close to home. Easy access to train station and downtown.

If I was a high school senior I would have taken a year off from school and saved money. I also would have tried harder in high school academically so I would have had a higher GPA and more opportunities for scholarships. In high school academics were very rigorous and competitive. It made me fall behind in subjects such as math and languages. In community college I took classes I enjoyed and excelled. If I was a high school senior I would have toughed it out and tried to do much better. However, going to community college was beneficial for my family because it was cheap. There are some times when I wish I could change the past but what's done is done. I'm proud that I graduated from Bunker Hill Community College and got accepted in to Massachusetts College of Art and Design for Graphic Design. It is a journey I would not trade for a better high school career. I am not letting my past dictate my future.

Tammy

The best thing about this school is the fact that it has a friendly and supporting staff and that it is very affordable. One thing I would change about this school is the fact that they do not have enough classes... all classes seem to be full and still have students on the waitlist... they need to offer more classes so student don't have to just settle for having just 1 or 2 classes per semester... the school is huge and even has a daycare center for students that need babysitters inorder to go to school... however the daycare has a long waitlist and is small therefore they should build another separate building for the daycare around the campus... I spend most of my time in the huge library, computer lab, and lounge...

BUNKER Hill is a diverse school... everyone gets along well... no one feels out of place whatsoever... students are very friendly and helpful...

Chelsea

I think my school is only if u need pre-requisties or need a quick class. I feel they have too many people and not enough staff to handle the rush of students. i Also dont like that there way too many people rushing everywhere and no security. this school should only be the strat of your college career not the end.

the academics at my school is good depending on the professor you get. ive only taken three classes so far at this school and i have had a good experience. I have a online class which is good because it is on my time and i dont have to show up anywhere, only problem is i feel like i didnt learn anything.i feel the school academic require meets good standards if you are going to transfer out soon. this school is geared towards getting a trade or a certificate. all in all the academics are decent.

My school has alot of foreginers, adults, and young adults with children. The stereotype is only a certain type of people go to my school. But it is a go school if you are looking for a diverse group.

Danielly

If I knew how hard it would actually be to go back to school after graduating high school. I would have gone straight to school instead of taking time off. I have delayed the process by 5 years now. I now have to worry about my schedule with school, work and my son. It is so more stressful than I thought it would be. Just make sure you study and keep up with the work because it is a lot of information you have to take in such a small amount of time. But it is worth every minute of it because every where you go for a job they want some type of degree and preferably a bachelors.

The faculty is very helpful and patient with the students when teaching.

Getting a call back from admissions.

The biggest piece of advice I would give 17 year old me is don't go right away. I know that sounds funny considering I'm applying for a scholarship to help me get through college but the truth is I wasn't ready yet. I grew up in a world where you didn't consider doing anything else directly out of high school other than to go away to college, so that's what I did. The problem was I didn't know what I wanted to do, I didn't have a goal keeping me focused and motivated, so I was very easily distracted by the novelties of campus life. Instead I would advise myself that there are alternitives to the traditional college route. I'd tell myself to work, save my money, take a few classes at a time at the community college level, ones that sound interesting. There's no rush, eventually you'll find your passion and once that's figured out the desire to take college seriously comes easy. You'll want to succeed. Some people need to grow up a bit in order to truly succeed in college, I was one of them.

Prior to coming to this school I wish I had known how great online classes are. I was intimidated by them when I first returned to school but when I finally did take the plunge and signed up for one the result was fantastic. The flexiblity it allows is fantastic, they are a huge part of the reason I was so succesful upon my return to higher ed.

I believe some of the administrative departments are the worst part of my school. There is not a lot of help guiding you so that you know the appropriate person or department you need to talk to when you are trying to solve an issue. Response time to emails and voice messages is very slow and frustrating.

Hakim

My school is best known for having great professors .The faculty and staff really help you with your college experience by allowing you the opportunity to go at it alone .While getting help for when it gets tough.

If I could go back I would tell the old me that the future is limitless. Study hard and stay focused and don't let anything or anyone side track you.Think of the black men that came before me that set the tone so that I have the ability to attend school.Think of my family and coming up in poverty and wanting to be the first in my family to go to school and make it, to lift me and my loved ones to the next level in life.I would say take no short cuts take the hardest classes don't be afraid to be smart and dedicated.I would tell the young me that the future is patiently waiting ,my parents are waiting for me to make something out of myself and my life. My nieces are counting on me ,my grandmother and great grandmother are looking down on me from the sky hoping, I make the right decisions to carry on my heritage. I would tell the young me to be brave and bold and set fear aside and go out and make something of your life .I would tell me to breathe optimism.

The worst thing about my school is that there is not enough time in the day to enjoy all that it offers.

Rayshawn

Bunker Hill personfies the word unique. The staff, resources, and student organizations all make this institution an amazing stepping stone for students who want to transfer to four year institutions. When i first began attending Bunker Hill I was nervous. I felt as though people would judge me for going to school there. Upon walking into the doors that fear and angst shed away as I was greeted instantly and treated with respect and genuine sincerity. I have never felt that same welcoming feeling at any other educational institution.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? TIME IS RUNNING OUT AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN BEGUN TO LOOK AT SCHOOLS! You will soon find out that you are in this alone, no one is going to help you. Mom is going to spend your loan money and kick you out of the house and you will be alone! If you dont want to have to work every day at a job you despise, and paying for school out of pocket you need to get on the ball! Start looking for scholarships NOW!

There is no specific kind of person that should attend Bunker Hill. The school caters to everyone from all walks of life. The one trait I would say is common within the students at the institution would definitely be their will to succeed. Once I became closer with many of my colleagues we began discussing their reasons for being in school. All of them understood the key to success is through education and that was their main motivation for being in school. If one wants to succeed, I reccommend Bunker Hill.

Bunker Hill Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.