Bunker Hill Community College Top Questions

Raquel

I will tell myself to put the drama to the side , be tough and look at the bigger picture. When we are at that age, we think everything will be handed to us and life is easy. If I could go back, I would save all my money towards my education, especially my bachelors and keep my GPA at a 3.5. Bascially to focus on school because it was the last year and I was almost done.

amanda

My advice to my 18 years old self is to just stay young as long as you can. I attended college for one semester after highschool then ended up just working 2 jobs rather then going back. After high school I wish I could have completed college and got a degree. Getting back in the “groove” of things as a 27 year old is tough. My weakness is anything to do math. if it doesn't have to do with finding deals at your local department store, its really hard for me. After high school I think its still fresh in your mind making it easier to understand the curriculum and grasping concepts. I think thats the only thing I wish i would have done differently. Its never to late to accomplish a goal but a younger mind that can stay up past midnight to study or pull a all nighter, is somthing I envy a little.

Leila

Make sure to be prepared for college before you attend and that you have a goal to work towards. Spend more time gettign financial aid and researching the classes you want to register for before doing it! Good luck and stay strong!

If I was a high school senior I would have taken a year off from school and saved money. I also would have tried harder in high school academically so I would have had a higher GPA and more opportunities for scholarships. In high school academics were very rigorous and competitive. It made me fall behind in subjects such as math and languages. In community college I took classes I enjoyed and excelled. If I was a high school senior I would have toughed it out and tried to do much better. However, going to community college was beneficial for my family because it was cheap. There are some times when I wish I could change the past but what's done is done. I'm proud that I graduated from Bunker Hill Community College and got accepted in to Massachusetts College of Art and Design for Graphic Design. It is a journey I would not trade for a better high school career. I am not letting my past dictate my future.

Danielly

If I knew how hard it would actually be to go back to school after graduating high school. I would have gone straight to school instead of taking time off. I have delayed the process by 5 years now. I now have to worry about my schedule with school, work and my son. It is so more stressful than I thought it would be. Just make sure you study and keep up with the work because it is a lot of information you have to take in such a small amount of time. But it is worth every minute of it because every where you go for a job they want some type of degree and preferably a bachelors.

The biggest piece of advice I would give 17 year old me is don't go right away. I know that sounds funny considering I'm applying for a scholarship to help me get through college but the truth is I wasn't ready yet. I grew up in a world where you didn't consider doing anything else directly out of high school other than to go away to college, so that's what I did. The problem was I didn't know what I wanted to do, I didn't have a goal keeping me focused and motivated, so I was very easily distracted by the novelties of campus life. Instead I would advise myself that there are alternitives to the traditional college route. I'd tell myself to work, save my money, take a few classes at a time at the community college level, ones that sound interesting. There's no rush, eventually you'll find your passion and once that's figured out the desire to take college seriously comes easy. You'll want to succeed. Some people need to grow up a bit in order to truly succeed in college, I was one of them.

Hakim

If I could go back I would tell the old me that the future is limitless. Study hard and stay focused and don't let anything or anyone side track you.Think of the black men that came before me that set the tone so that I have the ability to attend school.Think of my family and coming up in poverty and wanting to be the first in my family to go to school and make it, to lift me and my loved ones to the next level in life.I would say take no short cuts take the hardest classes don't be afraid to be smart and dedicated.I would tell the young me that the future is patiently waiting ,my parents are waiting for me to make something out of myself and my life. My nieces are counting on me ,my grandmother and great grandmother are looking down on me from the sky hoping, I make the right decisions to carry on my heritage. I would tell the young me to be brave and bold and set fear aside and go out and make something of your life .I would tell me to breathe optimism.

Rayshawn

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? TIME IS RUNNING OUT AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN BEGUN TO LOOK AT SCHOOLS! You will soon find out that you are in this alone, no one is going to help you. Mom is going to spend your loan money and kick you out of the house and you will be alone! If you dont want to have to work every day at a job you despise, and paying for school out of pocket you need to get on the ball! Start looking for scholarships NOW!

Cristina

If i could go back to high school knowing what I know now I would not leave any work for the last minute. I would make sure I maintained a 3.0 average for my senior year. I would apply for grants and scholarships so I would have been able to attend a 4-year college rather than wait because I don't have enough money. I would not let any little problem get to me because that would've taking my focuse from my work. I wish I would've done things differently because I would've been in a better situation right now. I'm glad I decidd to attend Bunker Hill Community College to save money while I'm there for 2-years but it would've been a weight off my shoulders if I had everything paid for.

christina

I would say to my younger self to be prepared to time everything and have things balanced in life. I never knew how much you have to dicipline yourself, and time-management is one of my biggest problems. I would say to try to organize everything now and find out what you really want to do; because to this day I still don't know what I really want to study or in life. I would also, warn my younger self that my learning abilities are going to change and that I could no longer cram the way I use to. In college, it's best to be prepared beforehand and to actually do the work and not fake it; because in the long run it will catch up to you. Basically, my biggest problems that I wish I would've gotten a handle on are time-management and learning how to use proper grammer; both are still a pain to me.

Rose

I would have told myself that having an education and establishing myself in my career would be the most essencial thing I could do for myself.I wasnt taught this and actaully had my first child during the 11th grade. I now have 3 childfren work fulltime and go to school on the weekends its very hard mentally emotionally and financially. it is something I have to do to show my children how important it is to have a education which inturn will provide them with a career that will support them and their family. I dont regret my children but if I had the chance I would have difantely got my education and established myself so that we didnt have to struggle so much today. my childrens future is important and I am a major influence so I have to do this not just for myself but for them and this gives me the courage and determination to go all the way.

Catherine

I would tell myself to don't go listen to other people about needing to experience college life by going away because that is only a portion of it. Also I would tell myself it would have been okay to take a semester off before attending college. Being that I was Valectdictorian, I was burned out working so hard my four years of high school. It would have been okay if I took a semester off.