Butler County Community College Top Questions

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have attended a bigger university first. I would tell myself to go straight to community college to save myself money and figure out exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I am now about 5 years into school, I have a lot of student loans, I switched my major after 3 years of doing something else when my mom passed away from cancer, and now I am studying to be a nurse. I should've listened to my mom back then when she always told me I would make a great nurse. She was right, and I am loving my career path thus far. When you're younger, you never really listen to your parents as much as you should. I would've definitely paid more attention and learned more from her while I could. Now I will never get the chance. But I am excited to pursue nursing in the future and maybe save another little girls mother.

If i could go back in time and talk to my high school self i would prepare myself. I would stress the importance of grades as well as time needed to apply to colleges. I would tell myself that going to college doesnt have to be scary, or financially stressing. i would tell myself about all the scholarships and other ways of being able to go to college. Preping for college is scary and overwhelming but i would explain to my younger self that its supposed to be fun but also to be serious and persistent in financing the future.

Community colleges are not just for adults going back to school or people who weren't smart enough to go to a good school. There are people there who are actually very intelligent and they are not just another group of immature people like I knew in high school. These classes are not easy, they are at the level of any other school. I thought I was better than community college, but I didn't know what I wanted to major in. I wish I could go back and convince myself that community college is worth it, and it will save me lots of money instead of going into the $15,000 of debt I am now in from the school that I left. If I would have originally went to community college, I would have no debt to my name and still be in the same boat I am right now. I still don't know what I want to major in but I am slowly figuring it out, with a much lower cost. I would definately convince myself to just attend community college instead of an expensive private school.

Faith

If I could go back and give myself advice when I was a high school senior I would advise myself to apply to more colleges. As a senior I wasn't sure what kind of college I wanted so I would have advised myself to visit several different colleges to experience what each one would be like. I attend a community college because it is much cheaper than most other schools, but I wish I would have went away to a college. I would have advised myself to go to a larger school because I think there is an important element missing from my college experience. I believe that my classes and my grades are the most important thing, however, I miss the friendships that students build when they are staying at a college. I would advise myself to visit a variety of colleges to find a good fit for myself, and then stay in a dorm where I could get to know a whole new group of people.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior and give myself advice about college life, I would only have a few things to say. First and foremost would be not to be affraid. I was so scared to finally be on my own in a big city, from being from a small town. The next would be to save as much money as possible while I could. I have been having the hardest time trying to find a job and if I would have just saved the money I had instead of spending it on insignificant things it would have been a little easier now. Other than those things I honestly wouldn't give myself any other advice because I like the journey that I have experienced so far in my transition to and through college.

The one thing I would give advice for is ?prepare yourself;? emotionally, physically, and mentally. It is not just an academic education that you are receiving, it is so much more. It is a new love for the people your around, it is heartache, and it is happiness. College introduced me to myself; I was very shy and had an anxiety of sorts when it came to making new friends. With a new roommate and a sister for a resident assistant, I learned right away what it meant to be in college. I grew as a person and I grew academically. Biology, and my professor, Dr. Tress, changed my outlook. It is very clich?, but the mistakes I have made have changed my life, for the better. Sometimes there are hard lessons to swallow, but when becoming an adult one must learn that fight is not all its cracked up to be, and flight will not save you every time. Now, I study until it hurts. I see my friends when I can, and I try everyday to be the professional I want to be.

Do not limit yourself and keep all of your options open. As a high school senior i was not particularly focused on the whole college thing. I planned at the time to attend the Art Institute. Not realizing the cost involved. I limited myself by only taking high school classes that would get me into a trade school or institution. I would encourage myself to take the first semester off like i did and realize how unrewarding my minimum wage job was. This was the motivation I needed to become more focoused on what i really wanted for myself. I would encourage, no insist that i research and observe all majors i would be interested in and look at what each carrer offered. This would include; pay, amount of school required, job opportunities, and of course interest in the field. Finding a carrer that was right for me was one hard long and expensive journey. I would say to myself; start out taking general education requirements at a local university then when you are positive what major you want to persue find where would be the best college to obtain that goal. Remember; have fun, get involved, and be responsible.