Butler University Top Questions

Emilie

Amazing!

Academics at Butler are not easy blow off classes, but they're not ridiculous either. The professors are all great; they know you by name, and take time to meet with you outside of class if need be. The biggest issue I had coming to school was time management. Once you figure out a schedule or how things work best for you, it gets easier. I'm an education major, so we do a lot of field in actual school classrooms which is really cool. Butler is a liberal arts school, so there is a core curriculum each student must fulfill. Overall though, classes aren't too bad if you're willing to take the time and work.

Every professor I have knows my name and is more then happy to meet if problems arise anytime. I meet with mine every so many weeks to just catch up and make sure I'm on track with my grades. Academics are a big priority here at Butler. It can be very challenging but the small school atmosphere helps students to not get lost in the shuffle and seek help in a multitude of ways. There are students, friends, mentors, and even the teachers themselves can help. Professors are very good to support you in fundraisers and events, even showing up themselves at times. As a biology major I study daily in order to keep up on my work. Although requirements may seem high, Butler pushes students to become the best they can and provide all the tools needed to succeed!

Carly

Very student-centered. It's easy to get help if you need it because the teachers know who you are and remember you even after you've taken their class. Teachers expect you to participate because the class sizes are small. I've never taken a class with more than 30 students in it and there are no TA's. In the College of Education, the teachers do whatever they can to help you and know you as a person.

I have had maybe one class in my whole 3 years here at Butler where my professor didn't know my name, or I was not sure if he did. I love that all the professors know their students and not just their faces. Class participation is a big thing in most classes, because the classes are small, and most professors expect participation and include it into your grade in someway. I am a Psychology major and I absolutely love the Psychology department. The professors and staff are wonderful and would do anything for their students. Studying is definitely a huge part of Butler's academics. If you want to succeed and do well in your classes, most students are going to need to spend a large amount of time studying, outside of class. I wasn't so sure how I felt about the Liberal Arts aspect of Butler in the beginning, but it has grown on me. I have realized that it is making me a well rounded person and that all my classes have contributed to my growth as a student and/or person, even if I did not enjoy the class. I have extremely positive opinions towards Butler's academic requirements, because they push you to strive and to do your absolute best and not just settle for what is required.

Opkardeep

Wonderful! Students take academics seriously, as do professors. Professors care about their students. They know your name!

Class sizes are usually small so you get one-on-one time with professors. They come to know you by name and really care for you. Academics are challenging so a usual sight to see on campus is people out on the mall studying on a blanket or study groups in various rooms in some of the buildings.