Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute Top Questions

Chandler

The advice I would give to my high school self is to attend Caldwell Community College first for two years and then transfer to a four-year college or university, preferably Appalachian State or NC State. I would also tell myself to know what degree program to go into and go under "College Transfer" to ensure I would be able to transfer in a couple of years. I would tell myself to know what classes to take, to take only classes required for my degree and to transfer. I would tell my high school senior self, "Go to tutoring every single day. Always know when to ask for help. Don't ever feel lost and confused; if you need assistance, seek it out immediately." I would strongly advise myself to always go to the Writing Center whenever I'm doing a major essay, and when doing lab assignments, always pair with a partner and/or tutor; it's always better to work as a group than alone. Finally, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, at least once a week, to pay for tuition when I go to a 4-year college or university.

I would go back and tell myself to work harder, to study for the SAT and actually take it. I was unprepared as it was for the placement test and made a lower grade on Algebra than I like to admit. I would tell myself to be prepared for the learning curve I'd have to make for the college class room and assignments. Compared to College, Highschool was nothing. I would have told myself to have researched grants and scholarships. As it was, I barely made it through last semester. It sure would be nice to go back with the knowledge I have now.

Dawn

I would tell myself to put more time and effort into my schooling and apply myself as much as possible. I would tell myself not to worry about boys, or getting married and get a good solid foundiation of education under my feet. Then after you?re married and settled go back for more degrees. College is harder than high school it takes more time and teachers expect more from the adult learner. There also is more work in college than in high school. The older you get the harder college is because you have forgotten so much that you had learned in high school. There is so many times that I wish I would have went to college after high school . I can't change what has happened but there isn't any reason to not go back even if you are older. Education is something no one can take away from you. I just wished I would have known this earlier in my life.

My senior year in high school was full of confusion. I had no idea that college was going to be so frustrating with no help in an advisor. I bet I have spent about three hours each time for registering for new classes. I would tell myself to go to a four year college because maybe the help with registration would take from the stress from a heavy course load. I know that a four year college would offer all the classes I need to graduate in the time I wanted to. I would tell myself not to slack off and go to a two year college just because the classes would be easier, "you get what you pay for." If I could tell myself anything else it would be prepared for applying for scholarships because that is the only way you could make it through college at a four year university. I would tell my young mind to not slack off and have some stress relief with a good advisor. Go to that four year university and finish in less time by taking more classes then advised you can make it.