California Baptist University

« See more reviews of California Baptist University

As a high school senior, the only thing that held any sort of importance to me was my friends. School, let alone academics was not even a concern of mine. I graduated without glancing at my transcripts. If I could go back, and yell myself into action and responsibility, I would do it without a second thought. I would make myself apply for colleges, take the SATs and ACTs. Not only that, I would tell myself to go to a tutor and actually try. I never took High school serious. If I could go back, I would tell myself to take pride in my school work, as much as I did with my job.

The advice I would give myself from the best when I was a high school senior is that to study harder in high school. Because I slacked alot in high school and now that I am in college I learned that college two times harder than high school. And if I were to study harder in high school I would have a better study habit and could have gotten more scholarships with that high GPA. And also to be more active with my highschool, such as joining clubs or joining the leadership group. Because it looks better on your application and it also builds character as I am in college.

I would advise myself to work harder in my academics and athletics. I would go back and tell myself to not let things like being in band embarrass me and to be proud to be my unique self. I would tell myself to try and get better grades. I would like to remind myself to always be proud of who I am. Also I would let myself know that it is extremely different transitioning from high school to college and advise myself to be a little more independent and take more initiative. I would also advise myself to create a savings fund because college is extremely expensive.

Study hard in high school and try to take advance placement tests to see what your strengths and weaknesses are. Challenging myself while in high school is important. You cannot graduate from college with "just getting by." Time management is important in high school. One transition I am still getting used to as a college student is doing homework during the day. In high school, I was always used to doing homework at night after school and practice. Now that I have more time during the day, I need to learn to take advantage of those available hours.

Dear Tricia, College is great and fun! But you have to make it that way. Don't worry too much about work and how you're going to pay expenses, worry about school. School is the most important thing that matters right now. Get involved with the events that go on in high school, and especially the ones that go on at the university. The connections with people that you will make at CBU will be awesome. So make as many as you can! Meet new people, get involved, and most importantly- study hard! Your GPA is the most important thing.

If I could go back in time and give myself adivce as a high school senior I would tell myself to practice beneficial study habits sooner instead of later. I would advise myself to not slack off and catch the common "senioritis". I would also tell myself to take the SAT's more serious and appreciate the bond I had with my teachers and classmates. I didn't realize how much the environment in college would change. It becomes completely up to you to build those relationships with classmates ad professors that are key to success.

It has been valuable for me to attend California Baptist University because I have learned numerous things in my classes, about myself, and about my religion. The atmosphere at California Baptist University encourages students to learn more about God and His plan for each one of us. Due to this atmosphere I have learned what it is that I am going to do with my life which if I had attended any other school I would not have found out about mu future plans and the opportunity for my life this career will open.

My college experience has been really great so far. It is definitely a lot of hard work, but it is also very rewarding. I have made so many great, real friends and I have been surrounded by a loving comunity, which I believe is very important. It has been very valuable to attend because I have learned a lot, but most importanly I have grown a lot. I have started to really learn who I am and what I want in life and i believe that Cal Baptist has had a lot to do with that. The community is unbeatable.

I would tell myself to make sure to remember the FAFSA dealine, and the CALgrant deadline! Another thing is to tell myself to make sure to always have spare change for copies, blue books, and scantrons. Get as many scholarships and grants as possible because College is expensive and so are books! Get the best deal you can on books, becuase there are many options. And sell your books back at the end of the semester cuz you will get some extra cash in the end. College is easy if you are prepared for it.

The most advice that I would give to myself, is to actually take your academics more seriously, but to also have more fun! I didn't go into college with the best GPA. To be honest I wasn't expecting to get into any 4 year college. So to say the least your grades don't make everything so don't stress if you forgot to do that assignment. I would also tell my high school senior self that sleep is precious, do not pull an all nighter just because! Sleep! Also, coffee. Coffee is not gross so get used to it!