California Baptist University

« See more reviews of California Baptist University

Elizabeth, before you start college, please heed to the advice I am about to give you. I want you to take a deep breath and relax during the transition process. I know how overwhelming the college transition can become, but remember, thousands of college graduates have gone through the process, and they all survived the transition. I want to give you some valuable information about college life and I hope my knowledge will help you succeed. Do not procrastinate on your studies! College professors may not remind you when your next test is scheduled, or when your ten page paper is assigned. It is the students' responsibility to check the class syllabus and know when all assignments are due. Please remind yourself to check your syllabus and do not wait until the last minute to write your final thesis on Evolution the night before the deadline. Time management is essential. When your studies are organized, college life is easier. Remember education is a privilege; you need to earn your education. Stay focused on your studies and you will succeed!

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have taken all of the advanced placement classes I could. The reson being is, so I would recieve college credit. I wish I would have gone to CBU right away, because I would have already been in the nursing program. Nursing is what I want to do, no doubt in my mind, and I would not change my major. However, taking classes about life, I see that an 18 year old shouldnt have to decide thier major. We all need to find oursleves.College is about thinking in new ways, learning different things, acquiring knowledge about subjects you would have never taken. I often wonder if I wasnt forced to choose a major right away, if I would have chosen something else. I have many passions such as music, art, and cooking. I have worked diligently in my nursing pre-reqrisites and will not turn back now. I want to help people and benifit the lives of others, and for now that is my calling and purpose. If I was speaking to my 18 year old self I would say "Go study aborad in Europe, find yourslelf before declaringing a major."

I would have to say to pick a school that would most benefit you. Do not transfer to all these colleges, pick one and stick with it. Also make friends early in the semester so you can create study groups. Studying is key to passing. Making friends that care about their education as much as you do will help you succeed. Another thing would be to get involved. Time flies so make sure you get involved on campus somehow. Whether it is attending the volleyball or basketball game, or going to events where there are professional speakers, get involved. Also, talk to your professors. Get to know them and interact with them. The professors are there to help you, but they will never get to know you if you don't interact or ask questions. Do not be afraid to ask questions on something you do not understand. Last but not least, save money!! Learn how to save for emergencies such as buying an expensive textbook, or being hungry when you have a full day on campus. All these things are important and needed to reduce the stress and worry as a college student.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, there would be many things I would tell myself knowing what I now know about college life and the difficult transition that awaited me. I would descibe how hard it will be to live very far away from my family and all my friends. I would need to understand how trying it will be to not be able to physically be around those I love most and how I will be thrust completely into a new environment. But at the same time, this new experience will not be completely unbearable. I will learn incredible new things, make wonderful friends, and have amazing adventures. I would also tell myself of the amount of homework and studying I will be faced with. This new challenge will be unlike anything I've faced before and I will have to apply myself so much more than high school because things will no longer just come naturally for me anymore. The main thought I would express to myself though, would be to not be as scared but to look forward to the wonderful, new circumstances that are before me.

When you start looking for a college, it's important to find the right fit for you. For some, academica may be the most important thing, for others, it may be an active social community or a renowned theater program. Whatever it is, make sure that the first step to finding a college is lots of research. Narrow it down to five or so colleges from research, then apply to and visit those five. Try to stay overnight at at least one or two of them. Then, decide based on which one you can see becoming 'your' college. You'll be there for four years (usually), so it's important to put a lot of time into your descision. When you get to college, the first year is the most important. Make sure to escape your comfort zone and go places you normally wouldn't to make new friends. Also remember that academics are as important as studying, and you must find the right balance between the two. Schedule your life so that you can recieve grades that meet your standards and also make friends that you'll remember and keep in touch with for the rest of your life.

Out of so many options, finding the right college for you is not always the easiest task. It is important to be sure you will be recieving great education from inspiring, approachable, and intelligent professors. It should be a place where you may openly ask questions and give answers. Taking a trip to see the college and attending classes is a great way to get a glimpse of what you may be entering into. It is also important to surround yourself in an environment you feel most comfortable and welcomed. It should be a place where you feel at home. Some people do not want to be far from home while many others want to be as far as they can get. Keeping in mind, you can be a far as you want even if you are only ten miles away, don't let distance be a deciding factor. Enroll into a college where you love the weather and the atmosphere surrounding it. Being there is a time in your life to have fun meeting as many friends as possible, experiencing the college life, and making the most out of everything. Get involved in every opportunity given.

If I could go back to high school and tell myself advice, I would tell myself that having straight A’s is an attainable goal. I gave up on myself because many people told me since no one in my family ever went to college that I probably wouldn’t go either. I was given up on because of my Hispanic roots and because I come from a family with little money. If I could tell myself to push through and keep working hard in getting good grades then I would have a better accumulative GPA and it would be easier to acquire scholarships. I would tell myself to stay active in reaching my academic goals in addition to one more tip. I would tell my senior-in-high-school self that I was not alone. I remember stressing over miniscule details for hours because I didn’t understand everything that I would be faced with in the future. Now that I have experienced college for myself I understand that it’s okay to be unsure about something. Life is a long process that allows us to never stop learning and that is a beautiful thing- not a scary thing.

Marlon, I know that the future looks stressful. SAT tests to take, college applications to look over, and financial aid will all take toll while you cram for exams and search for that perfect Prom tuxedo. I just want to tell you though, "No worries!" Like Grandma always tell you, "If anything good will happen, it will" and it definitely does in the end. I know you have put in a ton of work your past three years in high school, and trust me when I tell you that it will all pay off. I know that your mother isn't there to support you when it gets tough, but the emotional strength that you develop this senior year will give you the courage throughout any struggle in college. Remember to constantly spend time with your siblings and never forget to thank your father for the advice and wisdom he has given you in your senior year endeavors. Don't slack off for those AP exams and study hard for those finals you're taking at the community college. Stay close with your best friends and most importantly, make sure you have fun! Good luck!

If I could go back and talk to any high school senior and give any pointers or advice I would say that time management is the biggest adjustment you have to make going into college. When you go to college you are hit with so many changes you have to adapt quickly otherwise you will fall behind, when you start the first thing that is noticeably different is the amount of down time you have in college. Even though you have a lot more time to have on your own you should get your school work done first because procrastinating will always result in an obstacle. Another piece of advice I would give is no matter how far away or close you are to your family stay in contact with them. Your parents are used to being a part of your everyday life. Once you move out or even start attending college have started on this new journey that is the beginning of your new life and all your parents want is the best for you. Family will always be there for you through thick and thin. And last but not least enjoy your college years they are the best!

The first thing that I would tell myself is that I need to make sure that this is what I want to do. And then I would tell myself that the key to success in college is attending class regularly. I have learned that if you attend class regularly and do all of your homework you will pass the class. I say this because, there isnt a teacher out there who wants to deliberatly fail a student, and if a teacher sees that you attend class regularly and do all of your homework, it shows that the student is trying. Most teachers know that every student isnt going to grasp all the information that is being taught, so to see that a student is really trying and giving effort, you will never fail a class. Teachers want the student to succeed jus as much as the student. I would also tell myself, even though graduating ieems like a long time away, remain patient. Write a set of short term goals to reach your ultimate goal of graduationg. And that would help because you have a list of things accomplished, in order for your goal to be met.